Question for those who were self-pay

bluebinder2
on 3/5/11 3:57 am
Hey everyone!  I'm in the process of trying to get an exception to my insurance policy in order to have the DS covered.  Although I certainly would prefer that insurance pay for my surgery, I'm trying to come up with a back-up plan in case they don't. 

Could those of you who self-paid list what you paid and which surgeon you saw?  I just wanted to get an idea of price.

Thanks!
Larissa P.
on 3/5/11 4:07 am - Denton, TX
Are you willing to travel?

In the US, I think the cheapest self-pay price for an excellent surgeon is Dr. Stewart in Texas - his site lists $23k or so for lap DS.

Outside the US, you could go to Dr. Ungson in Mexico for about $14-15k I think. Although he can do lap, he makes no promises and might have to do you open.

Duodenal Switch hybrid due to complications.

Click! > DS Documents ~ VitaLady.com ~ DSFacts.com ~ OH DS FB
MsPoolShark
on 3/5/11 4:15 am - Toronto, Canada
I saw Dr Ungson and paid $13k for open. I think his lap price was $16k but as Larissa mentioned, there is no guarantee that he won't need to open you still but once you decide on lap that is what you pay for even if you end up with open. You wouldn't get the difference back.
Check out this DS Friendly Recipe group here: www.obesityhelp.com/group/ds_friendly_recipes/

teachmid
on 3/5/11 4:18 am - OKC, OK
I had a revision with Dr. Kehishian, so it cost more. I paid $28500 and it was worth every penny.
Gail
     -Gail-
SW  257    CW  169  GW  165

bluebinder2
on 3/5/11 4:19 am
I will travel, but only within the US.  I should have clarified that.  I'm looking for US prices.
Larissa P.
on 3/5/11 4:36 am - Denton, TX
Then I think Dr. Stewart is your man. Not only are his prices low, but traveling to Texas is bound to be cheaper than some other areas. Hopefully, others will chime in on options.
Duodenal Switch hybrid due to complications.

Click! > DS Documents ~ VitaLady.com ~ DSFacts.com ~ OH DS FB
Elizabeth N.
on 3/5/11 4:45 am - Burlington County, NJ
Dr. William Peters, Scranton, PA. 570-969-2527. $19,200.
Chubbluv
on 3/5/11 5:02 am - Lubbock, TX
Dr Stewart, right at 23K, well worth it, it saved my life.

I know several who have used him & all have done well.

WeeSteppn
on 3/5/11 5:22 am
 If you visit my site I have my EOBs listed there that outline the various charges associated with mine. Best wishes.

~Mandy~

Lap Band - Feb 28, 2007      Revised to DS Dec 1, 2009
5' 5" - HW 240, SW 200, CW 132, GW 125

WeeSteppn
on 3/5/11 5:25 am
 Oops, sorry I just noticed you said "self pay". I had Aetna insurance which I suspect they probably charge higher for them because I notice my fees are much higher than others are stating here. Though, I guess I may have calculated mine wrong and used what was billed and not what was actually paid. You're welcome to take a gander though if you're curious. Mine was a revision from Lap Band to DS.

~Mandy~

Lap Band - Feb 28, 2007      Revised to DS Dec 1, 2009
5' 5" - HW 240, SW 200, CW 132, GW 125

Most Active