HELP! with revised vitamin regimen! Vitalady?

(deactivated member)
on 1/14/11 4:05 am
Told ya--I'm so thankful, thankful.  :)  Listen to them they know what they are talking about.Someday maybe I will too. :)
vitalady
on 1/15/11 9:37 am - Puyallup, WA
RNY on 10/05/94
Typo? Carbonyl iron is LESS likely to cause constipation.

Floradix is fe sulfate, I think. Good for staining teeth, not helpful for raising iron levels. When docs speak of how many pills are taken, it makes a lot of difference WHICH iron they're thinking of, how taken, with what, or not with what.

If you're using the original Tender Iron tablets, I take 12 with C and copper, all at the same time. 300mg. My levels have been in the same range for more than a decade now. That's the right dose for me. My husband does the same, and he gets the same. He added 1-2 poly for the constipating effect. It's not a big help, but if I take one, I'll never poop again! Some ppl say they can be the opposite. I usta think the Tender Iron/poly combo was the best, but for me, Tender alone is best.

Then Proferrin came along, so I take it later to test the effects on me. I've taken it for 3 yrs and the only thing that changed on my labs was my hgb and hct. Like it already knew my other numbers were perfect, so it only targeted what was not good.

Now, I'd be more likely to suggest the Tender & Proferrin combo if the Tender alone doesn't do it. But for5 DSers, I suggest starting with 300mg elemental iron. Oddly, that's pretty close to what they started us on back i***** But of course, there was no Tender Iron yet. Don and I were taking a total of 1000mg elemental iron by the time we found the Tender formula. And still anemic.

Once we got it all straightened out, we've stayed on the same dose.

Michelle
RNY, distal, 10/5/94 

P.S.  My year + long absence has NOTHING to do with my WLS, or my type of WLS. See my profile.

(deactivated member)
on 1/15/11 9:44 am
@vitalady

My labs came back after two weeks and show my iron serum went from 35 to 145!  Also my iron saturation went from 10 to 36.  I'm waiting for my ferritin levels.  I was taking the iron with white wine (my grandmother's suggestion).  My doctor told me to take 5 pills of slow iron a day twice per day.  I am not going to do that--I'm sticking with the 300mg of elemental and keeping on your plan.  Did your iron serum go sky high when you were taking 300mg a day?  I don't want to get into toxic levels!

Thanks!
vitalady
on 1/15/11 10:31 am - Puyallup, WA
RNY on 10/05/94
My serum iron has remained around 100 for years. Last was 111. Ferritin has remained 200-300 for about as long. That's on the 300

Carbonyl can't go toxic, unless guess you ate the whole bottle of 400 at once.

You can't catch hemachromatosis (iron poisoning) from iron pills. It's a genetic defect, trackable and fixable.

So, I'm still thinking it can't go up THAT far, THAT fast and be right, but if you feel THAT much better, I spose it can be so.

I met an 8 yrs DS vet who'd never had the right vites (didn't know of on line resources) and her numbers were all but invisible. I told her not to bother testing for 3 months, but..... her PCP was so excited he tested in 6 wks. I'd suggested daily B12 shots (hers was barely there at all) and her PCP was so excited, he gave her 4x the dose daily. Needless to say, she felt better in like 3 days. That level went from like 100 to 2000 in 6 wks. LOL I'm surprised she didn't get 6 jobs and start mountain climbing that week.

When I meet ppl who are THATb depleted, I usually tell them they will feel better incrementally. Today is miserable, next week is less miserable, the next is less bad, then almost good, then better, then pretty good, then way better, then much later, really good.

Some ppl get the mega dose of B12 and D and feel much better in a week, some don't.

If you are still tweaking numbers and don't yet FEEL BAD, then it's much easier to sit back and move the numbers around on paper. When you can't work or get out of bed, it's much harder to even CARE about moving the numbers. KWIM?

Michelle
RNY, distal, 10/5/94 

P.S.  My year + long absence has NOTHING to do with my WLS, or my type of WLS. See my profile.