How do you "fix" a sweet tooth at 3 weeks out

(deactivated member)
on 1/6/11 9:19 am
I indulged in a Hershey's Special Dark kiss once in a while and it worked great!  I could easily control the portion size and it satisfied the beast.  Now I'm off to try that key lime pie recipe!
goingforit
on 1/6/11 11:56 am
I've been off sugar for a while preparing for after surgery but my sweet tooth still isnt' dead. For Christmas, I made the Pumpkin Delight from Eggface's page I believe. It was just as sweet and tasty as the inside of a pumpkin pie! We were satisfied with it! I was kind of afraid to post this as I don't know the protein amt for it though. Hm. If it has little/no protein, ignore this post. ;)

(deactivated member)
on 1/6/11 12:06 pm
I was lucky in that I didn't have a sweet tooth early out, so I'm not sure what to recommend at your stage. I will say that Godiva makes these little dark chocolate pearls that are great when you just want a taste of something sweet. 

I have heard (and found it to be true from personal experience) that craving sweets can actually be a sign that your body wants protein.  Sounds weird, but sometimes cheese and crackers or a piece of bacon will satisfy my "sweets" craving just as well as the chocolate would've done. 
goingforit
on 1/6/11 12:14 pm
I was told if I ate more real food, I would have less sweet cravings. It really helped me! Before I would skip meals, then crave sugar. I still want sweets but the bad cravings aren't there any more. So maybe it was the protein my body was calling out for!
Kerry J.
on 1/6/11 12:20 pm - Santa Clara, UT
BBQ ribs are my sweets cure, if I want to stay away from them.

But I eat sweets once in awhile, it's not a problem. The amount you're talking about it nuthin; if you were eating a pan of brownies or a dozen doughnuts every day, I'd say you need to worry and get some help. But what you're talking about isn't going to do any damage.

Kerry
(deactivated member)
on 1/6/11 10:48 pm, edited 1/6/11 11:01 pm

Michelle H.-

Try making a fruit smoothie/slush with protein powder (unflavored or vanilla), and Splenda,. Use unsweetened or Splenda-sweetened fruit juice and ice in the blender instead of pureed fruit to eliminate some of the bulk, since
at three weeks out, I'm guessing you can probably only hold about three ounces at a sitting, so make it a small one...and sip, sip, sip! Don't forget to add a dollop of plain Greek yogurt, which adds even more protein! Remember you have a DS, don't worry about calories right now, think more in terms of nutrition, and the smoothies kill three birds with one stone: hydration (counts as fluid), protein, and complex carb intake vs. simple carb intake.

I use the bulkier fruit smoothies with protein as meal replacements at almost two years out.

You can even make these up in advance, freeze them in the snack size Ziploc bags, and take them out as needed!

Emily F.
on 1/7/11 10:38 am
I would stick to sf pudding, 3 weeks out I was still in softs, definitely not candy or anything.