Pending RNY surgery approved - want to change to DS

Fade2Pink
on 10/31/10 12:14 am - Salt Lake City, UT
Hi Jacq, so glad you found out about the DS.  For me, when I learned about the long term success, the eating lifestyle, etc, I KNEW that I had found THE surgery that I could be successful with...and not feel like I was punishing myself.  Anywhoo, I see that you are in Texas, I hear so much great things about Dr. Darryl Stewart, perhaps his office's insurance person can help with the insurance issue.  

Wishing you good luck!!

Oh and make sure, if you haven't, to check out www.dsfacts.com
Duodenal Switch 4/29/09
Loving my DS!!

pycca
on 10/31/10 12:49 am - Haslet, TX
Hi Jac,

DO call Dr Stewart. He is in Denton, close to Los Colinas and Now Dallas.

I had talked to Barker at onetime, was not impressed,, now I see soooo many advertisments aout him...,, I think he does waaay more for money not for betterment of life.

Stewart is a great physician, mine was a revision and a difficult one,  So it took a while and all has done well.   His skill is wonderful !!!

girlygirl1313
on 10/31/10 1:37 am - Davidson, NC
 I remember being at the exact same crossroads as you.  I just moved my records to the DS doc and resubmitted all of the paper work to have the DS instead of the RNY.  i didn't have to redo the diet and most of the tests.  The only thing the new doc wanted me to do was see HIS psych.  I was at first turned down (I had a 47 BMI and need to have 50+) but a good appeal letter took care of that (it's located on my profile page if interested.  The best of luck to you, whatever you decide.  ~GG

larra
on 10/31/10 1:58 am - bay area, CA
You are not in a bad position. Your insurer has acknowledged that you qualify for wls. They can't unapprove you now. The only remaining issue is which operation.
     I agree with everyone else - call Dr. Stewart's office and explain the situation to his staff. I'm sure they have run into this before and will be able to help you. but the most important thing is to stay strong and have the operation that you are convinced is best for you. You are the one who will live with the results. It's your decision. And even if that postpones your surgery a bit, the wait will be well worth the difference in results and lifestyle.

Larra
Lori_K
on 10/31/10 6:13 am - Cleveland, OH
  Yes, I have had the exact same experience.  I was scheduled for a RNY 4/19/2010 and canceled less than a week before.  I am so glad I found out about the DS prior to RNY, better late than after.
  I totally understand your feelings of not wanting to start again with the frustrating process.  I was actually shocked and surprised at how easy the transition was for me.  I had already done my pre-admission testing for the RNY and didn't even have to redo labwork  for my DS.  I found a Doctor I liked, had a consult and was approved in less than a months time.  I had my DS 6/2/2010.  I know BCBS is different in every state I hope it is as easy for you.  
                                                                                                                                              Lori

Additional 28 pounds lost before surgery.
Recent Topics