If you could give newbies just ONE piece of advice

TaliTali
on 10/9/10 9:56 am - Sammamish, WA
Mine would be ..

Be present at all times. If you go on auto-pilot things will slip in the wrong direction.

HW ~ SW ~ CW
310 - 291 - 150

MarciRenee
on 10/9/10 10:12 am - IA
I couldn't just choose one - so these are the few that I came up with that are not complete repeats from someone else.

Run your labs and adjust your vite schedule accordingly.

Be your own best advocate - never be afraid to speak up and get what you need.

Before posting a question - do a google search on the DS board to see if someone has recently just asked that question.

It isn't a stall until you have not lost any weight or inches for 6 (I think that's the right number) consecutive weeks.  That means if you are up one week and down the next - you are NOT in a stall!  If you are less than 6 weeks out - you are NOT in a stall.  And YES a stall will happen to you - but your body will move past it, just give it time. 

Shakes are your friend - they are the most bioavailabe form of protein...find one you like and plan on drinking them for a long time.

Marci       
beemerbeeper
on 10/9/10 11:20 am - AL
Oh, so you can count you just chose not to. LOLOL.

Taking names!!!!

MollyBH
on 10/9/10 10:20 am - Appomattox, VA

Be a part of this board. Read it everyday.  Stay involved and listen to the vets.  They know what they are talking about.

Molly

Thanks, Becky, this was a great idea.

HW 255  SW 247  CW 155  GW 150

beemerbeeper
on 10/9/10 11:21 am - AL
Molly,

That is probably the best advice on this whole thread. Good on you!!!!

Julie R.
on 10/9/10 10:47 am - Ludington, MI
Great thread, Becky, but everybody beat me to anything I would say, so I'll say,
NEVER eat an apple fritter before giving a presentation to a roomful of your colleagues.
Well, that, and give your scale away to someone you don't like very well - at least till you get to goal.   
Julie R - Ludington, Michigan
Duodenal Switch 08/09/06 - Dr. Paul Kemmeter, Grand Rapids, Michigan
HW: 282 - 5'4"
SW: 268
GW: 135
CW: 125

SkInNyMiN
on 10/9/10 10:58 am - NE
~You did not break your DS just because you ate XXXX

~ You will not lose 5 pounds a day. Stalls are normal and it's not a stall unless you haven't lost in 6 weeks.

~ Everyone is different, just because most people can eat XXXX. You may be able to, you may not.

~ Don't bother find a shake you love pre-op. Just order samples and keep them for post op. Tastes DO change after surgery and you don't want stuck with tubs of things you can not stand to drink.
beemerbeeper
on 10/9/10 11:22 am - AL
And the list grows!!! tee hee. I love it.

(deactivated member)
on 10/9/10 11:04 am
Don't sweat the small stuff.  Stick to the basics.  All proteins are not created equal.  The only one you can compare yourself to is YOU.  And for Pete's sake, post pics periodically pretty please!  Visuals are the best for potential DSers and are so much more awesome than a bunch of numbers!  Lose weight and comorbid conditions, live life, love your DS, and PAY IT FORWARD!
amccu18007
on 10/9/10 12:29 pm - Newark, DE
Listen to the vets! This is not to say to not think for yourself but if you ask a question and you get many of the same responses, listen to them!!!!
  Amanda
SW 269    CW 135.6  GW 140