Serious reflux problem--suggestions? Help!

rbb825
on 7/30/10 11:33 am - Suffern, NY
I am not trying to diagnose anyone - she said she was told that things are going through her system too slowly causing Reflux- all I said is that there is a condition called Gastroparesis that is just that and that I have had it for years and the treatment is Reglan.  Many others stated they take Reglan for this same problem and you didnt' say a word to them.  I also mentioned that I have no side effects but it can happen.

(deactivated member)
on 7/31/10 11:53 am
Re-read your own post. You said it was probably gastroparesis which is saying a totally different thing than what you just said to me. If you had worded it that way in your first post, I don't think I would have said anything about diagnosing. 

I answered this early on and no one else at that time had recommended Reglan.  I don't catch every post about Reglan but we have had a few people here have terrible side effects from it so maybe I am a little sensitive about that particular drug.  Also, my son just had back surgery and I had a mini-tussle with him and his neuro-surgeon about this very thing. He ended up not taking it. ;-)

Sorry to take so long to get back to you.

Michele
(deactivated member)
on 7/29/10 3:02 pm
There are other medications that work like Reglan without the chance of the horrible side effects that Reglan can cause for some people.  Ask your Dr.
Victorious_one
on 7/30/10 9:49 pm - South Central, PA
I did ask Dr. G.  He says there's only Reglan.

I'm not asking for diagnoses, just information about meds that others took that were successful.  My strategy is to ask my Dr. about the other meds and if he thinks those may be beneficial for me in my case.

Nicole  Lab rata data link- One-half of a DS couple!  - I'M BELOW GOAL!
 http://bit.ly/DSExp  After a very rough start it's official--I my DS!  Romans 8:28 
Looking for DS information? Start at 
 http://bit.ly/newDS and DSFacts.com 
LilySlim - Personal pictureLilySlim Weight loss tickers         
Jolly Rancher
on 7/28/10 11:37 am
Please ask your doctor if you can try Dexilant, formerly Kapidex. For me, it was a miracle drug!! I had to take 2 Protonix a day and that still left me with some reflux. The Dexilant killed it completely!
rbb825
on 7/28/10 2:35 pm - Suffern, NY
Kapidex is time released Prevacid and you aren't supposed to take time released medications with the DS

Jolly Rancher
on 7/28/10 9:19 pm
Do you have a DS? Please explain why I'm not supposed to take a medicine that is working for me, time released or not.
rbb825
on 7/29/10 12:48 pm - Suffern, NY
No I don't have DS but I did all the research on it prior to my RNY because the DS was recommended to me but I opted for the RNY.  For both surgeries, due to our malabsortion time released medications are  not advised.  They go through our systems too quickly due to a shortened GI tract and we dont' get the full benefit of the medication.  If it works for you fine but a non time released medication might work even better.

Jolly Rancher
on 7/29/10 10:59 pm
The non-time released meds weren't working for me. This one is. I understand the transit time in our GI systems and why time released meds aren't always advised. I have read of numerous people on this site taking some time released med or another, and getting good results. If Dexilant works for , when so many other things didn't, it might work for someone else too. You are coming off as the be all end all authority on all vites and meds.
Victorious_one
on 7/30/10 9:52 pm - South Central, PA
Thanks so much, Jolly and everyone.  I'm going to do some research and make a list this weekend. Dr.  Greenbaum and I were kinda rushed when we spoke at 5pm on Friday, so I'll be following up with him this week.

I just know I'm miserable with this stuff.  It's stopping me from loving my DS and I don't like that!

Nicole  Lab rata data link- One-half of a DS couple!  - I'M BELOW GOAL!
 http://bit.ly/DSExp  After a very rough start it's official--I my DS!  Romans 8:28 
Looking for DS information? Start at 
 http://bit.ly/newDS and DSFacts.com 
LilySlim - Personal pictureLilySlim Weight loss tickers         
Most Active