ATTENTION PREOPS: How to ingest 64 oz. of fluids in a day by sipping.

Elizabeth N.
on 7/26/10 4:52 am - Burlington County, NJ
Yup, you now have EXACT instructions and opportunity to practice :-D. You get extra bonus points if you do this with fluids in ADDITION to the fluidish soft foods you ingest!
Ms. Cal Culator
on 7/26/10 5:00 am - Tuvalu

It has been determined that is it not wise to encourgae me....
stormy918
on 7/26/10 5:39 am
On July 26, 2010 at 12:00 PM Pacific Time, Ms. Cal Culator wrote:

It has been determined that is it not wise to encourgae me....
maybe not...but it sure is fun

Darlene    DS ..9-19-06
OFFICIAL ANGEL
Kryst.......6-27-07
KellyKirk........8-6-07  now our DS FOREVER ANGEL....I will always remember
BettyBoop.....2-26-08
Jewel506...5-26-10
Ragamuffin...9-29-10
185# gone forever

MollyBH
on 7/26/10 5:07 am - Appomattox, VA
Yes, I promise to practice and not gripe about getting my liquids in post op.

Molly
Elizabeth N.
on 7/26/10 5:15 am - Burlington County, NJ
Very good, you will do well, I promise!

IMNSHO if we go into surgery expecting to feel like death warmed over for quite some time, expecting to have to really WORK at basic hydration and every other activity, expecting everything on the planet to taste like rotted dried monkey butt soaked in dead skunk juice, etc., then when it's easier than expected, it's a relief.

This does not mean I advocate being negative and terrified. I advocate being REALISTIC. It's a BIG surgery. It's an ENORMOUS shock to body and mind to suddenly have to focus on getting water in a teaspoon at a time. It bends your head like nothing else in the world. It sucks to have a continuous bellyache. This is, to me, not rocket science. It hurts, it sucks, it feels NASTY. But it's a few short weeks out of a lifetime. It will pass. And nothing might ever taste the same again. So what? Find new things to taste. Find new things to do with the time you once spent eating, etc.

Change is good :-).
Babydoll25
on 7/26/10 5:43 am - White Lake Township, MI
expecting everything on the planet to taste like rotted dried monkey butt soaked in dead skunk juice,

THAT was funny!!!
 But Really Thank you Good advice!
*Heather*                 

Elizabeth N.
on 7/26/10 3:57 pm - Burlington County, NJ
I have not personally experienced rotted dried monkey butt, but I have had a recent encounter with what dead skunk juice can do to the entire atmosphere for numerous acres surrounding said dead skunk. Definitely gagworthy and that's without eating it.
MsBatt
on 7/26/10 5:44 am
On July 26, 2010 at 12:15 PM Pacific Time, Elizabeth N. wrote:
Very good, you will do well, I promise!

IMNSHO if we go into surgery expecting to feel like death warmed over for quite some time, expecting to have to really WORK at basic hydration and every other activity, expecting everything on the planet to taste like rotted dried monkey butt soaked in dead skunk juice, etc., then when it's easier than expected, it's a relief.

This does not mean I advocate being negative and terrified. I advocate being REALISTIC. It's a BIG surgery. It's an ENORMOUS shock to body and mind to suddenly have to focus on getting water in a teaspoon at a time. It bends your head like nothing else in the world. It sucks to have a continuous bellyache. This is, to me, not rocket science. It hurts, it sucks, it feels NASTY. But it's a few short weeks out of a lifetime. It will pass. And nothing might ever taste the same again. So what? Find new things to taste. Find new things to do with the time you once spent eating, etc.

Change is good :-).

I SO agree! My DS was my first-ever surgery, and I went into it expecting to be in Hell for a few weeks. That made me feel so amazingly GOOD when things were less rotten than I expected. (*grin*)
(deactivated member)
on 7/26/10 7:20 am - Yorktown, VA
Me too!  Me too!  The DS was my first surgery, so I prepared myself for the worst all the while secretly hoping for the best.  Turns out it wasn't so bad afterall.  I will fully admit that I believe I am one of the lucky ones who had a fairly easy recovery, but I think having been prepared for utter hell made it seem easier in comparison.
MsBatt
on 7/26/10 8:00 am
I too consider myself one of the realy lucky ones---especially given how much LESS info was out there back when I was getting ready for my DS. I also think that one reason I did heal so well and so rapidly is that my surgeon didn't have any nonsense ideas about a two-week, liquid 'diet'. He told me to eat well, including lots and LOTS of protein, and to keep my carbs as low as I was comfortable with. So I ate steak, pork chops, bacon, shrimp, turkey, chicken, ham, sausage, bacon, pepperoni, cheese, BACON...(*grin*)
Recent Topics