What do we write on the medical alert bracelet?

fattyfattyboomstix
on 7/21/10 3:25 am
I have been thinking about getting one of those medical alert bracelets, especially now I see some nice ones out there thanks to one of the other posters on here!
http://www.laurenshope.com/products/176/new-medical-id-brace lets-and-medical-id-watches

I have never had one before so don't know what to put on it. Can anyone help? How do we let them know we've had DS in a way that will be understood? What else, since having surgery, should we alert them to on the bracelet? Can we no longer take certain meds or anything? I must admit I don't know enough about this and I really should!
I don't have any other health concerns right now, so the only things I want to put on there are DS related.
OhioSteve
on 7/21/10 3:34 am
"If found unconscious administer bacon and half and half immediately."

But seriously, how much text can you get on the thing?

If its just a few lines how about:

BPD/DS "Duodenal Switch" Patient
Extreme Malabsorptive Procedure
Modified Stomach and Intestinal Anatomy

The contact name/number of your PCP or Surgeon would be good too.

Steve in Cleveland, Ohio - BPD/DS 02/25/2008
The WLS information site you can edit and improve! www.wlswiki.com
mrsannie
on 7/21/10 5:52 am
LMAO!!!!  You are too funny, thanks for the chuckle!

Nothing will change if you don't have the courage to change it!
      And stop calling me "Shirley!"    
Renfairewench
on 7/21/10 10:23 am
LMFAO!   I covered my face and started laughing hysterically and my husband thought something was wrong until he realized I was laughing. Funny thing is that we were JUST talking about this today.

HW (pre RNY) 430 HW (pre DS) 302 / SW 288 /
                          Lowest weight 157 / CW 161
GW 150
                "I'm just one stomach flu away from my goal weight"

Anna G.
on 7/21/10 3:47 am
Why would you need a medical alert bracelet? There's nothing that an emergency responder would need to know about us.

Tonya75
on 7/21/10 4:32 am - IL
I was thinking the same thing...
DS Surgery 11/23/09
Tonya

_Leslie_
on 7/21/10 4:38 am - Franklin, WI
One of the many  reasons why I chose DS over the RNY

448|180|199   
5'10"  268 lbs gone!!
                     SW  CW  GW   

Duodenal Switch                                      
                                   Surgery Date: July 30, 2010                      

ladynitewolf
on 7/21/10 4:54 am - BFE, CA
What Anna said. The medical alert bracelets are for first responders. With the RNY, you have the concern of having an NG tube placed blindly. If done wrong, their pouch can be perforated. We have a sleeve, which is the same length as a normal stomach. Ergo, no perforation problem.

You really only need a medical alert bracelet if you have something that a first reponder needs to be sensitive to. And I'm going to put my anectdotal warning out there - those pretty bracelets don't get paid attention to very often. A first responder is looking for the ugly ones as a general rule - I mean, they've been around for how many decades? An acquaintance of mine who is an EMT ran into this situation - they had a diabetic in shock that had been in a car crash and had a pretty bracelet on them. They didn't see a "regular" medic alert bracelet, and had to wing it on her treatment. If they had known the pretty bauble on her wrist was an alert bracelet, they might have been able to treat her properly and promptly.

~ Sarah P. 
Ask me about pregnancy after the Duodenal Switch!

They're here! My surro-sons were born July 21, 2009. Welcome to the world, Benjamin and Daniel. We love you very much!

Renfairewench
on 7/21/10 10:27 am
Well, I know from seeing it on the floroscope that my sleeve is not and does not look like a sleeve or a banana. It's closer to looking like a very small fist and mine is up near my sternum, at least mine is. I will concede that I was a revision and do have a lot of scar tissue, but I know mine doesn't look like a banana.

HW (pre RNY) 430 HW (pre DS) 302 / SW 288 /
                          Lowest weight 157 / CW 161
GW 150
                "I'm just one stomach flu away from my goal weight"

SethHouser
on 7/21/10 5:17 am - New Castle, IN
I'm glad you ask. I was wondering the same thing.

On the journey to losing weight, your friends & family will be the first people to try to knock you off. They do this not out spite, but out of being convicted and knowing they should do the same. It's easier to put someone down for doing the right thing, than for them to actually do it. So at your next family re-union or wherever you are eat your chicken and broccoli and smile when they make jokes about you, they are jealous!