ERNY

dana712
on 5/19/10 10:48 am
Did anyone lose a lot of weight with this revision?
Thanks
Dana
lovemypugs
on 5/19/10 10:51 am - VA
I don't know anything about the ERNY but I know people on this board have lost a ton of weight with the DS!
beemerbeeper
on 5/19/10 10:56 am - AL
You can find someone who has lost a lot of weight with any surgery, any diet, voodoo, etc...

What do you know about this surgery?  I've heard it called the worst of the RNY combined with the worst of the DS.

You couldn't PAY me to have it.

Amy Farrah Fowler
on 5/19/10 11:09 am
I know it's much easier for the surgeon to perform, than for the patient to live with, but is often pushed by surgeons that only know RNY. In fact, there are only a few surgeons that are skilled enough to repair the RNY pouch to convert to a sleeve or DS.

There are a few around here with this surgery, and several of them are revising or have revised to DS.

I'm hoping one or more of them will chime in, but one who is here often is just a couple days out from having her revision to DS, and is still on IV's and TPN in a hotel next to the hospital. The only update from her that I've seen said she already knows she is not dumping on things that she dumped on only a week ago. She has a great surgeon, so I have hopes she will do well.
(deactivated member)
on 5/19/10 11:20 am - Bayonne, NJ
I revised from RNY to the DS, I've lost a bunch of weight, and I eat much more normally. I'm thrilled.

If you have revision questions, check the revision board. There are lots of different types of revision patients over there.
Deanne K.
on 5/19/10 4:15 pm - Tucson, AZ
I have lost over 70 lbs in 18 months with my ERNY and I have to say it's not a picnic.  You have to be very diligent in getting all vitamins and protein in.
StacysMom
on 5/19/10 5:39 pm
 I've noticed just from reading the posts from the people who had the ERNY (been reading for 3 years now!), that the ones who are the most successful with it are those who weren't bypassed very much to begin with (so the revision is really giving them the malabsorption they should have gotten with their original RNY) or those who were given such short common channels (under 75 cm - and some as short as 30 cm) that they suffered severe deficiencies and had to have reversals or conversions to a different surgery.

Those who had the ERNY with the longer channels (100-200 cm) came onto OH to complain that they aren't happy with the results of their surgery and that it was a lot of major open surgery & recovery for very little change in their weight.   

So the length the common channel is made is highly important.   And, sometimes the surgeons don't measure too well!   One very sick woman who was told by her doctor that her common channel would be made 75 cm, was opened up to have the surgery reversed by a different doctor and found out it was closer to 40 cm (which is very significant as far as absorption is concerned).   Another woman who was told hers would be 50 cm, just found out it was between 20 and 30 cm.  She was just converted a few days ago to the DS, 2-1/2 years after having the ERNY - others have mentioned that she will chime in on this post if she feels up to it. 

The ERNY is usually suggested by a surgeon whose primary surgical speciality is the RNY - all they have to do is bypass more intestine.   It is easier to do than the DS and is less risky for leaks for the patient.   But, the DS is a superior and more natural surgery, with the best results of ANY of the various WLS currently available.   Unfortunately, only a handful of surgeons across the country have the skill and experience to revise the RNY to the DS because of the expertise needed in reconstructing the RNY pouch back into a working sleeve stomach.

From what I have seen in my unofficial review of the posts on OH over a three year period, is that if you have 50 lbs or less to lose, the ERNY may be effective for you, depending on the length your common channel is made.   Over that amount and the results are mixed.   Think hard and do your own research.   Don't put your body through multiple revisions in order to get the result you desire.

Georgina R.
on 5/20/10 2:58 am - Bakersfield, CA
Newsletter by Dr. Keshishian comparing the DS to ERNY:

http://dssurgery.com/admin/newsletters/dec-5-09.pdf
StacysMom
on 5/20/10 5:48 am, edited 5/20/10 5:49 am
 THAT was BRILLIANT!   What a great side-by-side comparison!  

Thank you so much for posting this!

It is unfortunate that in 2008, there was a doctor who had taken to the OH revision boards and was promoting the ERNY like crazy, saying it was "almost like the DS", only the surgery was "less risky" and "safer" for the patient.   A lot of the people who had the ERNY 2-3 years ago were his patients and those he "met" on the OH revision board and convinced to travel to him to have this "remarkable" new revision surgery.   They were the guinea pigs for this operation and some were more successful than others.  Two patients even thought they were given a full RNY to DS conversion!  I remember that around 15 people had the operation and I've only read of 3 successes.  This same doc was also one of the first to promote the Stomaphyx when there were only a few docs in the US who were trained in the procedure.   More guinea pigs.

Now, there are many docs promoting the Stomaphyx and the ERNY.   I have not read of any successes with the Stomaphyx and the ERNY, as it turns out, is NOTHING like the DS, but surgeons who do not have the skill to do a full RNY to DS conversion, are saying that it is "almost" the same thing.
Most Active
15 years post surgery
jopringle · 1 replies · 48 views