RNY to DS Revisioners Please Respond

Monique H.
on 5/19/10 1:43 am, edited 5/19/10 1:44 am
*I posted on Revision Message Board as well*

I'll keep this short. I'm just curious what your weight loss is like since surgery. Would any of you mind telling me:

1. Weight day of surgery
2. How long since surgery
3. How much loss since surgery

I'm still trying to decide if this is for me and I'm curious how everyone has done. The last time I jumped on the distal/extended rny train and WRECKED. I don't want to do the same thing again. This will be surgery number 3 since I've been at my job and I know they're getting sick of me taking off time, not to mention the pain I'll be in and the money I'll be out of.
WHEN LIFE KNOCKS YOU DOWN TO YOUR knees, JUST REMEMBER THAT YOU ARE IN THE PERFECT POSITION TO PRAY. HW 395, RNY 4/2/07 345, Lowest Weight 248,  Revision to Distal RNY 1/13/09 278,Revision to DS 10/15/10
Monique H.
on 5/19/10 2:10 am

*** If for some reason you don't want to post on here please send me a pm***

WHEN LIFE KNOCKS YOU DOWN TO YOUR knees, JUST REMEMBER THAT YOU ARE IN THE PERFECT POSITION TO PRAY. HW 395, RNY 4/2/07 345, Lowest Weight 248,  Revision to Distal RNY 1/13/09 278,Revision to DS 10/15/10
Patty B.
on 5/19/10 2:43 am
By the way my RNY is proximal!  LOL Patty

Patty B.
on 5/19/10 2:42 am
OK Monique here goes
DOS  Sept 2008   238...I had been 240

It's been a year and a 1/2 maybe more

I've lost 98 lbs but up and down like a ball.  Lowest weight 144.4. 

My surgeon told me to stick to the South Beach Diet with Protein first then veg and then fruit...I pretty much do that but I have added some carbs back and it as slowed me down.  I will be be happy with just over 140...But this morning up to 149..I'm working to get back.  I hope that helps ya.  Patty 

Monique H.
on 5/19/10 3:56 am
Thanks for responding Patty. I was trying to find people who actually revised from a rny to a ds. I'm just trying to make up my mind.
(deactivated member)
on 5/19/10 2:58 am
I started at 285.
It's been close to 2 years.
I now weigh 193. in 2000, I weighed in at 412, so i've come a long way.

This was also my 3rd surgery. I am struggling to get to goal weight or some weight I can be satisfied with for life. Emotional eating is getting in the way.

Your weightloss with the DS will probably be different than the next persons. So, you really can't go by the numbers. You will lose with the DS. It's different for everybody.
Monique H.
on 5/19/10 3:49 am
Thank you for responding Taylor. Do you mind me asking if you are still losing after 2 years?
(deactivated member)
on 5/19/10 4:49 am
Yes I am. I have to low-carb and stay away from gluten. But, as I said... That's me. I've had a harder time than most. I keep gaining and losing the same 10lbs. It all depends upon me. My commitment and my ability to stay away from certain behavior. I'm still learning...

The DS will work for you. It's still working for me. I know I can reach the goal I want to... Like most things,  I just have to commit and do it. I'm notorious for NOT finishing things. But, I'm working on that. I, like you, would like to be normal weight just once in my life. I don't have to maintain it forever. I would just like to NOT be obese.

Dana
Debbie M.
on 5/19/10 3:00 am

Hi Monique,

1.  I'm not sure how much I weighed day of surgery, I think around 342.
2.  Surgery was 3 months and 2 days ago.
3.  I've lost 72lbs since then.

DS is a whole different world than the RNY, it's taken me quite awhile to get out of that mindset.  There is absolutely NOTHING I miss about the RNY or that ridiculous pouch.  I don't feel like I'm ever dieting, I don't have to worry about what I drink when, I eat great food all while losing weight.  I have no complaints.

Thanks,

Debbie M.

SW 358/CW 201/Goal - anything below 160
Angel to TEAZ (Michelle)

Monique H.
on 5/19/10 3:55 am

Thanks Debbie. I have been following your posts and will continue to. I guess that I want to make sure that it will definitely work for me. I would love to be able to get to a normal bmi. I'm 236 most days but bounce back and forth from 236-238. I would like to get to about 145 (normal bmi range). I know I should'nt put a number on it, but should measure by how I feel and how healthy I am. I would just like to be NORMAL one day in my life. I don't ever remember a day in my life that I haven't been overweight. Thanks again for responding.

Most Active
15 years post surgery
jopringle · 1 replies · 48 views