Dr. Husted Update and more ?

Barb R.
on 5/14/10 1:04 am - Troy, MO

I have been talking with Dr.Husted.He will now be practicing in Phoenix Arizona at Arizona Weight Loss Solutions.He won't be set up until sometime in June.If I can get all my info together and can get approved he will be doing my surgery. I found out Priority Health will cover the take down of my VBG. My big fight will get them to cover DS. Dr Husted thinks if not he might get them to cover the sleeve.My questions are. Do any of you have problems eating raw vegtables and dip? Do you have problems getting things stuck? I haven't had a raw veggies,a bite of steak or anything like this since 1999 and I do not want this again in my life.I would rather just do a take down if that is the case.
I also want to tell al  of you that I read all of your posts. You are all great and make laugh all the time. I have already learned so much.I used to belong to OH back in 1999-2001 and I don't ever remember laughing so much. You guys make my day!  

dustydeer
on 5/14/10 1:24 am
Hi and welcome to the DS forum!

I haven't ever had any problems with foods getting stuck. We have the sleeve as you know and our stomachs are fully functional. I eat raw veggies without any problems. The only exception to this is when people develop complications, such as a stricture. That is not the norm.
With that being said, early out from surgery, there is swelling. It creates a general feeling of great "tightness" when even a fluid is introduced. It isn't permanent, its normal and gets better.
I can also eat steak w/o any problems, its quite yummy and I love a ribeye!

Best Wishes!

5'1 HW 298 CW 118

"Making America skinny, one slap atta time!" -Slap Chop Dude

Redhaired
on 5/14/10 1:24 am - Mouseville, FL
I have no problems with any of that now.  I will tell you that raw vegetables and dense protein like steak might was a little rough for me in the beginning.  But this phase passed soon enough and I have no trouble eating anything at all that I want.  I still do not eat a lot of vegetables because of the carbs.

Red 

ifyouseekamy
on 5/14/10 1:30 am
Thats good news, I think.  Having been overseas for many years, I am not in the loop.  I had recommend Husted to a patient's family member based on info from this board.  When she saw him he told her he could not perform the DS any longer. Guess thats why his is moving.   He also told her that he does the pouch to sleeve lap and the intestional switch open. Hasn't he moved quite a bit?  Is there something we should know about this guy.  I am not bashing him just wondering why a vetted DS surgeon is on the move so much!  I have read not so good things about the clinic in Arizona.  Isn't this the place that s owned by the plastic surgeon and caused such a ruckus a few years ago. 
Is Husted really that hard up for a job?
goodkel
on 5/14/10 9:17 am
On May 14, 2010 at 8:30 AM Pacific Time, ifyouseekamy wrote:
Thats good news, I think.  Having been overseas for many years, I am not in the loop.  I had recommend Husted to a patient's family member based on info from this board.  When she saw him he told her he could not perform the DS any longer. Guess thats why his is moving.   He also told her that he does the pouch to sleeve lap and the intestional switch open. Hasn't he moved quite a bit?  Is there something we should know about this guy.  I am not bashing him just wondering why a vetted DS surgeon is on the move so much!  I have read not so good things about the clinic in Arizona.  Isn't this the place that s owned by the plastic surgeon and caused such a ruckus a few years ago. 
Is Husted really that hard up for a job?
You present many EXCELLENT questions that numerous people on here have been asking without success.

I, for one, could not recommend a surgeon with so many important unanswered questions.

(Particularly when there are other experienced and talented surgeons from which to choose.)

GREAT post!
Check out my profile: http://www.obesityhelp.com/member/goodkel/
Or click on my name
DS SW 265 CW 120 5'7"

(deactivated member)
on 5/15/10 12:17 am - Yorktown, VA
My understanding from reading on here was that the hospital/clinic he was at in KY stopped allowing the DS (most likely for monetary reasons).  So basically he had to either stop doing it or move.  Looks like he chose to move.
(deactivated member)
on 5/14/10 1:55 am - Bayonne, NJ
I had a permanent band around my stoma that was removed during my revision. I can now eat anything - steak, veggies, etc. You won't have the trouble you have with the VBG.

That said, I don't eat many veggies due to carbs. I look at it this way: vegetables are what my food eats.
beemerbeeper
on 5/14/10 4:27 am - AL
LMAO!!! hahahahaha
"Vegetables are what my food eats."  PRICELESS!!!

(deactivated member)
on 5/14/10 2:43 am
Arizona, huh? That's interesting.

I have never had something get "stuck". That tends to be more an RNY problem, from what I understand. I had to wait until I was about 2-3 months before I could really tolerate raw veggies. Now at almost 7 months, I have no issues with them.

Hope that helps.

Jenna
CinnamonSpider
on 5/14/10 3:31 am, edited 5/14/10 3:32 am
Most Active
15 years post surgery
jopringle · 1 replies · 67 views