Need a minute to vent about the forum, & advice/links for all newbies inside

krissywats
on 8/13/09 6:17 am - Kew Gardens, NY
I posted more above directly to Lori - might give more insight.

Thanks for the kind words - as I said 'afraid' is too strong a word.  I chose to not live in a fear a long long time ago, however....of course I HAVE fears that I struggle with and I find that sometimes there is not an air on ths board which leaves one wanting to be vulnerable and post fears. 

7/19/09 - DS with Dr. Alfons Pomp
7/11/12 -  tummy tuck, UBL, larg lipo sculpting of torso, lipo of "buffalo hump" with Dr. Sauceda
Bronwen
on 8/13/09 7:11 am - Wilmington, DE
As a vet here, I have to tell you that I've always though that you were well-spoken and well-prepared for this surgery.  I was really impressed by the interview you had with Dr. Pomp and the posts you made on it.  I thought then, as I do now, "that girl's going to do reeeeeallly well."

I think what separates you, and others like you, from the few noobs that have been doing their own part in sowing the discord around here, is that you did your homework.  You haven't come here trying to suck the forum dry.  On the contrary - you shared some excellent insights from the very beginning, way before your actual surgery.  You've been an active member, contributing support here.  You've given more than you've taken.

I think that anyone posting here needs to recognize that they have to pay in as well as take out from the forum.  You build credit - and credibility - by your actions on the forum.  You've got plenty, chicklet.  Say what you want to say.  You've earned the right.
sw:298/cw:152/no goal set
PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket
PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

"Differences of habit and language are nothing at all if our aims are identical and our hearts are open."  --J.K. Rowling,  Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire

krissywats
on 8/13/09 7:55 am - Kew Gardens, NY
Thanks.  You make me feel all funny in my tummy.  heehee

I agree that it would be fantastic if we all took responsiblity.  I dunno how to make that happen though?

7/19/09 - DS with Dr. Alfons Pomp
7/11/12 -  tummy tuck, UBL, larg lipo sculpting of torso, lipo of "buffalo hump" with Dr. Sauceda
Star Jones
on 8/13/09 9:51 am - National Harbor, MD
One of the best quotes I ever heard was this:    Courage isn't fearlessness.   It's the ability to feel the fear and do it anyway.

Oooh I love that! I'm feeling real courageous these days!

~Shani~
I've been pudgy, chubby, thick, and now fat........Imma give thin a go round!!!

SW-262, size 18W, 5'6"
CW-168 1/15/2010
GW-162
94 Lbs down...6 more to go...changed goal to see Onderland for a hot second!

BuckeyeSylvia
on 8/13/09 4:26 am - Small Town, OH
Just my $.02...which won't even buy us DSers a candybar!!

Like you and the majority of the vets on here, my time is very precious. I've found myself skipping over "I'm approved" posts and "OT my dog died" posts. Not because I don't care...but because the 3 minutes it takes for me to repond could be better used answering a "why did you choose the DS?" post. So, when I open post after post from the same person who asks the same questions from yesterday (like "I have lost weight in the past 10 minutes...is my DS broken?"), it gets a little frustrating.

And like you, I come on here for more than support. I come here for laughs, entertainment, curiosity and advice. I always have. As a preop, I came here for education. I came here to learn from those who already walked a mile in the shoes I was about to fill. At times, I was so excited, I posted. But most times, I simply read and soaked up the wisdom of others. While the OH search feature sucks...it's a great place to start.

And, also like you, I read the profiles of those on here. The frequent posters were always my main targets because they had a lot of good information to share. LeeAnn was my favorite. Val and you were close behind.

Anyway...I think the tone around here is just sheer frustration. Had these *few* people straggled in apart, it wouldn't have caused such a ruckus. I think having the DS board dive-bombed the way it has been the past couple weeks just ruffled feathers. And, like most things, this too will pass. Our board is constantly evolving.

Your newbie advice is priceless. I hope everyone appreciates it...and USES it!!

HW/SW/CW/GW    231/225/123/130-125
~Surgeon's Goal of Normal BMI reached at 6 months Post Op~
~Personal Goal Range achieved at less than 10 months Post Op~

Valerie G.
on 8/13/09 4:36 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

Psyche
on 8/13/09 4:41 am
Want! (The toaster... really!)
SW 280 / GW 150 / CW 128.8

Reconstructive surgery, under construction!

Lower Body Lift - 12/14/2011 - Atlanta VA Medical Center
Brachioplasty & Mastopexy w/Augmentation - 03/14/2012 - Dr Marisa Lawrence

happychick
on 8/13/09 4:55 am - Canada
Lori.....thank you so much for your post and the links you included for us newbies.  Despite researching at least 3 hours a day every day for 4.5 months leading up to my surgery, there was no way to find out every little thing and I am grateful that I have received wonderful responses from the folks on here.

Mickie

NyteFlower
on 8/13/09 5:04 am - PA
That toaster is too dang cute for words!  OMG I want one.  :)
  Seeking a revision - RNY to DS

Get the Facts @ www.dsfacts.com
goodkel
on 8/13/09 5:00 am
I want a bumpersticker that says," I'm so bad even Lori Black has blocked me."

(yeah sure, like my other car really is a Rolls...)
Check out my profile: http://www.obesityhelp.com/member/goodkel/
Or click on my name
DS SW 265 CW 120 5'7"

Most Active