Need a minute to vent about the forum, & advice/links for all newbies inside

Nicolle
on 8/13/09 8:04 am

So, exactly HOW MANY hands do you have, Nopenname? You seem to have a lot. LOL.

Nicolle

I had the kick-butt duodenal switch (DS)!

HW: 344 lbs      CW: 150 lbs

Type 2 diabetes and sleep apnea GONE!

Nopenname
on 8/13/09 8:44 am - Tacoma, WA
Just the two, "One" and "The other" They are just exceptionally large.

How else do you think I got this fattastic, larger hands more ability to shovel the bon bons in amiright?

HW/ SW/ CW/ GW

453/380/160/165

I'm pretty sure bacon tastes as good as thin feels!
*Feel free to call me "Pen" or "Nic" I'll even answer to "hey you" *

(deactivated member)
on 8/13/09 6:21 am - Bellmawr, NJ
Im a relative newbie of just a couple months and I havent felt singled out or attacked or afraid to post questions, but I also do try to do my own research. In fact, I'm a wee bit obsesso about research.  I, more often than not, am looking for personal experiences more than facts...reassurances that I am not alone in my thinking or whatever.

But here is my opinion, worth the imaginary paper its written on:  I think that newbies who come in and ask questions that upset people are usually just accidently violating netiquette rules that they are unfamiliar with because they are newer to posting on boards generally.  I think it wouldn't hurt for us to be kind the first time, and if they continue to do inappropriate things or be really bizarre-o-world, then why not just ignore them instead of wasting the energy on castigating them or taking them down a peg?  There is a certain emotional reward, I realize, to telling people that are doing something stupid that they are stupid....but the stupid person doesn't get smarter, the person telling them just becomes angrier, and the people who were bystanders to it just become more cynical and withdrawn...I don't see where it does anything to improve anyone's life, really.

Guate Wife
on 8/13/09 7:17 am - Grand Rapids, MI

Very insightful --- which your blog posts are as well.  I think what you have taken the time to document is going to be very helpful to those that come after you, and I applaud you for that.

Just one thing that I want to address in what you have written, above...  many times, it can *look* as though someone is getting blasted for something many would just rather ignore.  *Why* these things are not ignored, and some take the time to address it, is that what the person has written could be confusing / inaccurate / dangerous.  It is rare to see someone get blasted for doing this --- the first time around (or even the second or third).  Most of the time, it isn't even for the benefit of the *stupid* person (because they have likely been given up on, and most would gladly ignore, and do, if what they said weren't inaccurate), it is addressed for the benefit of pre-ops & newbies that are reading --- and there are many of them.  Sure, there may be some emotional reward in blasting an idiot, but I really wouldn't bother if it were just about them.

~ I am the proud wife of a Guatemalan, but most people call me Kimberley
Highest Known Weight  =  370#  /  59.7 bmi  @  5'6"

Current Weight  =  168#  /  26.4 bmi  :  fluctuates 5# either way  @  5'7"  /  more than 90% EWL
Normal BMI (24.9)  =  159#:  would have to compromise my muscle mass to get here without plastics, so this is not a goal.

I   my DS.    Don't go into WLS without knowing ALL of your options:  DSFacts.com

Ms. Cal Culator
on 8/13/09 6:37 am - Tuvalu
We're calling each other's surgeon's office now? 

Wow. 

Well, if anybody calls my surgeon, feel free to tell him that, so far, I think he's kind of putz for adding the lapband to his practice.

Sue
krissywats
on 8/13/09 6:46 am - Kew Gardens, NY
So you see you what I'm saying? lol

7/19/09 - DS with Dr. Alfons Pomp
7/11/12 -  tummy tuck, UBL, larg lipo sculpting of torso, lipo of "buffalo hump" with Dr. Sauceda
ScorpioMama77
on 8/13/09 11:04 am, edited 8/13/09 11:04 am - Pueblo, CO
After trying to read this whole thread about 4 times & failing to get through it, all I have to say right now is that I feel the same way about this issue.

The possibility that someone may take it upon themselves to decide what is in my best interests & contact my surgeon without my permission is very intimidating.  It's also crossing a line, IMO.  I'm a grown woman, perfectly capable of making my own decisions, but I'm not perfect & will probably screw up a time or two.  But in light of that thread, I probably will hesitate posting about my struggles.

I may be in the minority, but that's the way I feel.
Georgina R.
on 8/13/09 7:10 am - Bakersfield, CA
He says he only does the lapband on people who are lightweights and "very motivated".

But yeah, I think it's inexcusable too.
Bronwen
on 8/13/09 7:14 am - Wilmington, DE

OMG, Sue.  I think it's going to be my mission to tell you daily how glad I am to have you back.  Jesus, woman!  I haven't laughed so hard since, well, last night!

sw:298/cw:152/no goal set
PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket
PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

"Differences of habit and language are nothing at all if our aims are identical and our hearts are open."  --J.K. Rowling,  Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire

ricki
on 8/13/09 12:20 pm
On August 13, 2009 at 2:14 PM Pacific Time, Bronwen wrote:

OMG, Sue.  I think it's going to be my mission to tell you daily how glad I am to have you back.  Jesus, woman!  I haven't laughed so hard since, well, last night!

looks like I made my reappearance at the perfect time..
Most Active