Pre-ops: Check in please!

sleepyjules
on 7/10/09 4:12 am - Centrally located in, IL
Will you be joining us tomorrow at Lori Black's cookout? 

Julie     

Chad M.
on 7/10/09 4:14 am - Indianapolis, IN
Yes!
sleepyjules
on 7/10/09 4:17 am - Centrally located in, IL
Awesome!  I will look forward to meeting you (and your family if you are bringing them). 

Julie     

beemerbeeper
on 7/10/09 4:58 am - AL
I'm certain that something posted about the DS on the main forum led me to this forum and certainly informed my decision about which surgery to have.  That would have been around the end of May.

I am in line to have the DS  in September if I can get my consults done.

I really really appreciate those who informed me that I had a choice.

Becky

(deactivated member)
on 7/10/09 7:07 am

Diane, it's interesting, because one of the reasons I'm on this board and considering the DS is because of you!  I was considering the VSG and encountered insurance issues (the whole experimental/investigational thing).  I was doing OH searches trying to figure out how to fight the insurance war and came across information you'd posted about the DS. 

And yes, I admit I dipped over the main board yesterday to see what all the ruckus was about.  Gave me a chuckle.

Emilie J.
on 7/10/09 7:11 am
I done already decided before the most recent wars, but it was DS'rs on the RNY board who had interesting info in their signatures, and how kept insisting what a fabulous choice DS was, and than promised me it would be worth it, and helped me realize how stupid I was being to consider doing RNY, just because I could get it done sooner. Still don't get that, what was going on in my head!! But s all good, cause I'm switched in 10 days baby!!!
Emilie, mom, wife, Nurse........superhero
It's about the Wow's!   
yex1
on 7/10/09 7:23 am - NJ
Good luck Emilie

I have not even read the surgery wars going on. I have been on since around april or may. I have just started posting in June I think. Surgery is in exactly 1 month. getting a little anxious but nothing too bad. August 10 here I come.

Kelly
Felicia S.
on 7/10/09 8:42 am - Lincoln, NE
I'm no longer a preop, but when I first came to OH in August of last year I was trying to decide between RNY and LB.  I wasn't really happy with either choice.  I was on the main board and was reading a surgery war thread about "stinky poop" and laughing my butt off.  Some of the posts were hilarious!  But it opened my eyes to the DS.  I had never heard of it before.  Then I read Hayley_Hayley's RNY vs. DS comparison list and I was sold!

I canceled my RNY seminar that I had scheduled and scheduled my DS seminar with Dr. Anthone...and the rest is history.

So, I thank God for all you who pay it forward on the main board because you have all made a world of difference to so many of us.

Hugs,

Felicia
HW 264 SW 248 CW 140.8 GW 140 

VelvetKiss
on 7/10/09 9:43 am - Broadview Heights, OH
I have been thinking of a revision for over a year now and it was from seeing information from DS patients on the other boards that led me to research, as well as the fact I have several friends who have other types of surgery and have lost weight but gained it all back.  I had a Lap Band placed 3 years ago.  I didnt know about the DS at the time and did not want RNY.  I have lost 150 lbs but mostly from my own doing, I have only had 1 fill.  That is because it casued such bad heartburn which I didnt have before the band that I actually swelled so closed that it would take over 20 minutes for 1 small sip of water to go through the band, I couldnt eat normal for over a month and I am now on medication for the heart burn and for some reason my band caused me to have a Vitamin D deficency, my GP said it was the lowest he has ever seen, the level was 4.  That is what made me seek a revision and I have chosen to go with Dr. Keshishian and will be traveling from Oregon to California for surgery.  I dont have a date I am just in the stage of getting all my information turned in and then I will go from there. 
Kathy H.
on 7/10/09 1:43 pm - Kent, WA
Hi, VK.

Please, during this time while you're still absorbing at 100%, bring that Vit D level waaaaaay up! Starting DS life with a Vit D level that low is a recipe for disaster.

You probably already know that, and I hope you'll forgive me if you're 25 steps ahead, already. But I wanted to say something just in case. It's *very* difficult to bring your D up once you've had the surgery.

Vitalady sells 50,000 IU Dry D3 supplements. She's got a pretty decent price on them.

Take good care, and good luck with your approval and your surgery!

Kathy
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Have you considered the Duodenal Switch? Information is power.