Eggs. Can't Eat Em!

Julie R.
on 5/6/09 2:27 am - Ludington, MI
I had a tough time with eggs in the beginning too - one of the very few things this ol' cast-iron stomach gal threw up!     When you feel ready, try scrambling them up with some cream cheese (and a few shreds of dried beef).   That made a world of difference to me!   Now I can sometimes even eat three of them, but mostly just two.    Also, egg salad was tolerable early on too.    They are such a great source of protein.  Give it time!
Julie R - Ludington, Michigan
Duodenal Switch 08/09/06 - Dr. Paul Kemmeter, Grand Rapids, Michigan
HW: 282 - 5'4"
SW: 268
GW: 135
CW: 125

TaliTali
on 5/6/09 2:37 am - Sammamish, WA
I haven't actually gotten sick from eggs but it's not something I can eat much of. If I get a single egg down I'm doing really good. I just don't have the taste for them and mostly when I think of them they kinda make me feel queasy.

So, don't feel bad! Find something else that works for you and forget the eggs. In the grand scheme of things they only have 6 grams of protein which isn't that much for the effort involved in eating them.

HW ~ SW ~ CW
310 - 291 - 150

~ Leelee ~
on 5/6/09 2:38 am - CO
 oh dear...was just planning to make an egg, which i have been able to eat in the past, but after reading this post i have changed my mind.    
Lisa Height 5'10"  HW 335/SW 321/Dr GW 185/personal GW 165/CW 148.  150cm CC!
Dr's goal weight reached JUNE 2010! Presently healthy, active, size 4/6, & below "goal".

Anna G.
on 5/6/09 2:47 am
Give it a try, hon! Frankly this post has surprised me. I had no idea so many people had trouble with eggs. I've been eating them since pretty early out, pretty much every single day.

MomofMojo
on 5/6/09 2:38 am
I also had a rough time with eggs. Still can't eat more than 2.
Over easy and with 2  yokes work the best for me. I did not tolerate any eggs til after 4 months out. Tuna or shrimp with lots of mayo was my go to for the extra protein early out.
Jeanne
(22 months out )
SW 330
CW 145

RainyDayWoman
on 5/6/09 2:49 am - Fridley, MN
Eggs were hard for me.  I can now eat three but it takes about an hour and a half.  At first, I'd eat half of one and it was  like having a lead ball in my stomach.  Ech.
Lilypie - (SzbI)
PekinSal
on 5/6/09 3:51 am - UK
I couldnt eat eggs until about 2 months out, which is ironic since the hens produce so many each day...I could never get the whites down as a bandster, so I found that just eating the yolk at first of a hard boiled egg, mashed with mayo went down ok. I can do whites now but slowly, and scrambled are really filling.

DS revision from failed lapband

colene
on 5/6/09 4:17 am
I too had a very difficult time with eggs at first.....any way they were cooked they just didnt set well in my tummy......it took me nearly the entire first year to tolerate them well.  Even now I do eat them daily but I use lots of salsa and cheese....it seemed like at first the more I would chew the more was there....it does get better with time.
Vicki PNW
on 5/6/09 4:34 am
I posted the First DS Egg thread as a newly post-op last year.  That thread included advice from the others on cooking and eating eggs.

I went thru a lot of trial and error since then and eventually decided that my eggs should be cooked in real butter (no margarine) or bacon fat, depending on if I fry bacon that morning.  I still prefer mine prepped over easy.

Scrambled eggs are usually cooked very dry.  My dad's wife pours milk or half-and-half in them to moisten them up before placing them in the skillet.  One of the others in the other thread advised me to add a bit of cream cheese to them, but I have yet to try that out. 

I believe that Paula Deen of Food Network fame has some advice on moistening eggs when cooking.  I haven't done research on that yet.

Hope this helps!

Vicki

DS (lap) with Dr. Clifford Deveney. Cholecystectomy (lap) with Dr. Clifford Deveney 19 months post-op.

Has not weighed myself since 1/2010.  Letting my clothes gauge my progress instead.

(deactivated member)
on 5/6/09 5:06 am - Wichita, KS
I couldn't eat eggs for about the first 6 months after my DS. They made me feel yucky and I just couldn't gag them down. Now, though I love them. My favorite breakfast is 2 eggs over medium with 2-4 strips of center cut thick slice bacon. YUMMY!!!! Honestly I love the bacon more than the eggs but they really go very well together. LOL
Recent Topics