Stinky Gas post DS

k9ophile
on 4/28/09 7:59 am, edited 4/28/09 10:17 am
Dr. Houston did his first DS on Oct 14, 2008.  Dr. Olsen is supposedly going to do it as well.  I read that Dr. Olsen will only do the DS on those with a BMI over 50, but I don't know that for a fact.  I don't know how often the statistics on OH are updated.  I think Dr. Houston may be close to having done 10, but again can't verify it.  I realize that there is popular opinion that says never use a surgeon who has done less than a certain number of procedures.  However, in the case of Dr. Houston his practice is dedicated solely to bariatrics and he has done intensive lap training.  I trust him 100% to know what he's doing.  My friend Rhonda has said it's not like a foot surgeon doing brain surgery.  I have to agree.  Dr. Houston knows his way around the GI system and he does well with a laparoscope

I don't know if the insurance question was directed to me since the posts sometimes end up where ever instead of where we think they are supposed to be.  But, no, I did not have trouble getting my insurance to pay for the DS.  I am also blessed to have secondary coverage through my husband so my total expense was $295 for the psych exam that neither insurance would cover.

It's good to see you doing lots of research and asking questions.  Best wishes on your journey to health.

ETA:  I just saw that your insurance is BCBS.  So is mine.  That 10% loss was the hardest part for me.  I actually got sick and couldn't eat & had severe nausea and vomiting that caused me to lose that 10%... I wouldn't recommend that "method" to anyone.  LOL  Yet it was in my doctor's office records...so was some regain of that 10% and I was approved anyway.

"Our ultimate freedom is the right and power to decide how anybody or anything outside ourselves will affect us."  Stephen Covey

Don't litter!  Spay or neuter your pet

tillmacc
on 4/28/09 12:06 pm - Antioch, TN

I have BCBS TN (P) for primary and TriCare Prime for secondary. I haven't even started to see if Tricare Prime pays for DS. I'm  afraid to even think about that. I am 1 lb from my 10%. It was tough but really prepared me for RNY (if I go that route). I was wondering if the lower BMI would pose a problem. I guess we'll see when they submit it. I am going to request DS 1st and RNY 2nd. I am still shocked at the freedom in the DS. I'll let you know what happens on my blog.

tillmacc
on 4/28/09 5:35 am - Antioch, TN
Did you have any trouble with your insurance covering your DS?
Nopenname
on 4/28/09 5:08 am - Tacoma, WA
Granted I haven't been eating uh...anything.

But I take protein and I have runny stool and plenty of gas to spare and it actually...DOESN'T smell, like at all. I know the issue later is with food in the colon that can cause issues but right now I'm not experiencing any issues.

HW/ SW/ CW/ GW

453/380/160/165

I'm pretty sure bacon tastes as good as thin feels!
*Feel free to call me "Pen" or "Nic" I'll even answer to "hey you" *

Redhaired
on 4/28/09 5:43 am - Mouseville, FL
Oh and if you read the main board for ahile -- you will see that people who have had the RNY have bowel issues too. 

tillmacc
on 4/28/09 5:46 am - Antioch, TN
Yes, I have read that. The specific DS stiinky gas was found in a post on OH comparing DS to RNY, which I took to mean that it was worse with DS since it was in a list of myths and was the only one labeled "true".
Redhaired
on 4/28/09 5:55 am - Mouseville, FL

Bowel Habits after Gastric Bypass Versus the Duodenal Switch Operation.Wasserberg et al. Aug 2008

BACKGROUND: One of the perceived disadvantages of the biliopancreatic diversion with duodenal switch operation is diarrhea. The aim of this study was to compare the bowel habits of patients after duodenal switch operation or Roux-en-Y gastric bypass. METHODS: A prospective comparative case series design was used. Forty-six patients who underwent duodenal switch (n = 28) or gastric bypass (n = 18) were asked to complete a daily diary for 14 days after losing least 50% of their excess body weight. Data were collected on number of bowel episodes, incontinence, urgency, stool consistency, and awakening from sleep to defecate. Background variables were recorded from the medical files.

RESULTS: The duodenal switch group was heavier (body mass index 53.5 vs 47.0 kg/m(2), p = 0.03) and older (47.5 vs 41.0 years, p = NS) than the gastric bypass group. Median time to 50% excess body weight loss was 22 months in the duodenal switch group compared to 10.0 months in the gastric bypass group (p = 0.001). Patients after duodenal switch surgery reported a median of 23.5 bowel episodes over the 14-day study period compared to 16.5 in the gastric bypass group (p = NS). There was no between-group differences in any of the other bowel parameters studied.

CONCLUSIONS: Although duodenal switch is associated with more bowel episodes than gastric bypass, the difference is not statistically significant. Bowel habits are similar in patients who achieve 50% estimated body weight loss with duodenal switch surgery or gastric bypass.

tillmacc
on 4/28/09 5:59 am - Antioch, TN
So the bowel episodes were higher for DS. I didn't know that.

Patients after duodenal switch surgery reported a median of 23.5 bowel episodes over the 14-day study period compared to 16.5 in the gastric bypass group (p = NS).
Redhaired
on 4/28/09 6:12 am - Mouseville, FL
But if you look at the conclusion the difference was statistically significant.

Although duodenal switch is associated with more bowel episodes than gastric bypass, the difference is not statistically significant. Bowel habits are similar in patients who achieve 50% estimated body weight loss with duodenal switch surgery or gastric bypass.

tillmacc
on 4/28/09 6:24 am - Antioch, TN
I saw their conclusion that they did not consider the number of bowel movements to be statistically significant.

My post was about gas which is not addressed in this study. I don't have a problem with having 23 bowel movents over 14 day. One every three to four days would make me happy right now. I was asking about the gas odor, which other posts were extremely helpful in understanding that issue.

What I don't understand (maybe because I am a green newbie preop) why so many people are so touchy about their paticular surgery compared to others. I'm just checking out my choices and I appreciate everyone's input.

Recent Topics