Magnesium Oxide and Colace?

Melissa B.
on 1/7/09 12:16 am - Greenfield, OH
Been suffering with constipation badly due to the calcium I'm taking 'cause when I stopped it then it went away and when I started back on it here comes the suffering again.  Question..I bought both Magnesium Oxide and Colace, should I be taking both of these?  I have taken the Colace for the last couple days but haven't tried the Mag yet. Don't want things to get too loosened up if ya know what I mean but wasn't sure what to take and how long will I have to be on these.  Do DS'ers have to be on Mag oxide or stool softeners their whole lives or as long as their taking vits?  Was gonna call my Dr. but wanted to get your input b4 I ask him.
Melissa B.                    

Melissa B.
on 1/7/09 12:18 am - Greenfield, OH
Julie R.
on 1/7/09 1:29 am - Ludington, MI
I too have been suffering from constipation since upping my calcium to 5,000 mg a day.   I HATE taking that much.  I have been taking Mag Oxide with it, but I'm just not sure what the correct balance is.  I heard 1/2 as much.    I am eager to hear of others' responses.  
Julie R - Ludington, Michigan
Duodenal Switch 08/09/06 - Dr. Paul Kemmeter, Grand Rapids, Michigan
HW: 282 - 5'4"
SW: 268
GW: 135
CW: 125

LisaH73
on 1/7/09 1:49 am - Middletown, OH
I'll be joining you in the Constipation Society as soon as I start taking my new Iron.
Dayton/Cincy/Col's Yahoo Group
My DS Photo Page  holding steady at goal since Sept. '08
DS Shirt Shop (non profit)
Yahoo: JoRoLisa73 AIM: JoRoLisa73
Lori Black
on 1/7/09 2:00 am - , IN
Not all DSers have to be on stool softeners or mag oxide...I'm just the opposite.  I take tender iron, poly iron, over 3k of Calcium citrate a day, as well as having just started fiber supplements, and I STILL have healthy poops through the day.  I don't think I *could*constipate myself if I tried.

have you tried upping your fats?  That helps most people.  I eat a high fat diet, and have considered scaling back to see if that slows the bathroom down for me. 

Hope you find your magical balance soon!

Lori
Nina E.
on 1/7/09 2:28 am
J G.
on 1/7/09 2:43 am
Boy, I think Lori hit the nail on the head.  It's all about finding your magical balance.  And be prepared for that to change from time to time. Mag oxide is a mineral, right?  And Vitalady says it never leaves the gut, so I feel okay about taking it on a daily basis.  Right now I am taking:
1 Colace
1 Fibercon
1 Mag oxide
in the afternoon and again at bedtime.

Hope you find your magical balance.   It sure does help!
scubadiva
on 1/7/09 3:00 am
I've been constipated starting about two weeks out from surgery.  So for more than 2 months now, I've been taking a nightly dose of Miralax and 2 mag oxides.   Both are safe for life.  I'm able to go every morning and am done for the day.  I eat A LOT of fat and take coremega (omega-3).  I have even tried straight Omega 3 fish oil pills... and I still need the nightly help of Miralax and mag. oxide!   I can't really complain though.  I like the predictability.
Kayla B.
on 1/7/09 3:56 am - Austin, TX
You can take both.  Mag ox isn't dangerous.  It's just magnesium...the bottles I buy usually say it's for bone health, no mention of anything gut related.  Depending on what type of calcium you are taking, you might be able to find a calcium that is similarly priced that already has the magnesium right in there so there is no extra pill to take.

mag ox is veryyy mild.  I personally have a difficult time really telling the difference, but it works great for some people.  I think lots of people start at around 800mg.  I personally take 1200-1600mg for a very modest difference.  Doesn't work the same for everyone I guess.

I wouldn't worry about getting too loosened up if you are already constipated...with mag ox being so mild.  You really gotta take a lot to get that liquidy effect. 
5'9.5" | HW: 368 | SW: 353 | CW: 155 +/- 5 lbs | Angel to kkanne
http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b224/icyprincess77/beforefront-1-1.jpg?t=1247239033http://s20.photobucket.com/albums/b224/icyprincess77/th_CIMG39903mini.jpg  
m.espoir
on 1/7/09 12:43 pm - NJ
I have recently started to have problems but before they got any worse I started taking 1000-1200 mg of mag ox at night and 2 doses of miralax during the day (one in my coffee and the other in my protein drink) and it seems to have started working rather well in the "keeping things moving nicely" area!
"Don't expect.......Suggest." ......–The Edge
Lap Band 2/26/03---lost 80 pounds!
FAILED (Erosion/emergency removal) 4/4/07, Gained ALL weight back 8/29/07 
Approved for DS 10/09/07

DS performed successfully 10/29/07
1st Hernia repair and vertical TT 1/15/09
2nd Hernia repair and small vertical TT 12/27/2010
HW  SW   CW   GW       240 225 159 135
(5ft.2in.)

Most Active