List of DS Surgeons Performing/Not Performing Revisions

Vicki PNW
on 12/12/08 7:49 am

It has been a while since this list was posted in its entirety.  Here goes:

-  Dr. Crookes in California performs RNY-to-DS revisions, but he is very selective.  He does not charge any program fee.
-  Dr. Cirangle in California and Hawaii has performed hundreds of DS procedures, including revisions from RNY.  One member reported on the Revision board that he charges an additional $7.5K fee over and above insurance.  He adjusts the fee in accordance with PPO insurance, according to a member on the DSIZ board.
-  Dr. Feng in California does not perform RNY-to-DS revisions.
-  Dr. Jossart in California has done 150 DS surgeries and has done many revisions (as of 9/2007).  One member reported on the Revision board that he charges an additional $7.5K fee over and above insurance.
-  Dr. Keshishian (aka Dr. K) in California performs RNY-to-DS revisions as well as GLB-to-DS revisions.  Members have reported that he is EXTREMELY anti-band!  However, he charges a $4K fee (not covered by insurance) upfront for revisions.  Plus, he requires his out-of-town patients to stay in town for up to 10 days after being released from the hospital.
-  Dr. John Rabkin in California performs RNY-to-DS revisions, according to several members on the DS board.  Diana Cox reported on the DS board that he charges a surgeon's fee upfront (around $10K) because he does not accept insurance assignments (that is, he is not contracted with any insurance company although he may have special arrangements with a couple of organizations).  Otherwise, he does not charge a program fee.
-  Dr. Robert Rabkin in California is retired as of 10/2007.
-  Dr. Gagner in Florida (formerly NY) performs RNY-to-DS revisions.  Members have reported that he is one of the best!
-  Dr. Hoddinott in Florida (formerly Pennsylvania) performs revisions.  However, it is not known if he performs revisions to DS.  He has moved his practice from Pennsylvania to Munroe Regional Medical Center in Ocala, Florida, where he practices with Dr. Overcash, according to a member on the DS board.  His phone number is 352-368-1661.  His website is http://www.floridabariatriccenter.org/
-  Dr. Maynard in Georgia performs virgin DS but not RNY-to-DS revisions.
-  Dr. Smith in Georgia performs GLB-to-DS revisions only.  He recently sent out a statement on his Yahoo group that he now performs RNY revisions to distal RNYs. However, he does not perform revisions to DS from either RNY or VBG, nor does he accept high-risk patients for the protection of his surgical stats.
-  Dr. Oakley in Idaho has no info pertaining to any revision to DS.
-  Dr. Edinger in Idaho has no info pertaining to any revision to DS.
-  Dr. Alverdy in Illinois evaluates case-by-case, but he is very selective on revisions.
-  Dr. Prachand in Chicago does RNY-to-DS revisions only if the BMI is over 50.
-  Dr. Inman in Indiana performs only GLB-to-DS and VSG-to-DS revisions and is no longer performing RNY-to-DS or VBG-to-DS revisions, according to Lori Black.  Instead, she revises all RNY to distal RNY (or "long limb" RNY).  She requires all out-of-town patients to stay in town for at least 3 weeks after being released from the hospital, according to an e-mail from her office which was copied onto a posting in 4/2008.
-  Dr. Husted in Kentucky (formerly California) performs RNY-to-DS revisions, as well as a number of other revisions, including GLB/VBG/other stomach stapling operations/MGB/VSG revisions, according to his website.  He mentioned to a member on the DS board that if the pouch has too much scar tissue, then the VSG portion would be too risky to be completed.  Instead, he would revise to the switch portion only and leave the pouch intact (looks like a revision to a distal RNY).  He has already moved to the Lake Cumberland Hospital in Somerset, Kentucky as of 9/2008.  Visit his website at www.johnhustedmd.com
-  Dr. Schweitzer in Maryland no longer performs RNY-to-full DS revisions, according to an e-mail sent by him to a member on the DS board.  However, he still performs other revisions.
-  Dr. Vanguri in Maryland performs RNY-to-DS revisions and has performed VBG-to-DS revisions, according to a member on the DS board.  The same member reported being pleased with the revision and Dr. V. is "absolutely wonderful!".
-  Dr. Hares in Michigan performs RNY-to-DS and GLB-to-DS revisions, according to several members on the DS board.  It appears that he also performs other revisions as well.
-  Dr. Lutrzykowski in Michigan wants RNY surgical reports before he decides if he will do RNY-to-DS revisions.  However, one member reported on the DS board that he is more than willing to perform VBG-to-DS revisions, since those are much more straightforward operations than RNY-to-DS revisions.
-  Dr. Ikramuddin in Minnesota performs open and lap virgin DS and apparently performs revisions.  He practices in the same clinic as Dr. Buchwald.
-  Dr. Buchwald in Minnesota performs RNY-to-DS revisions, according to several members on the DS board.  One member thinks he performs revisions on a case-to-case basis.
-  Dr. Anthone in Nebraska stopped doing RNY-to-DS revisions in 2006.  However, one member reported on the Revision board that he performs GLB-to-DS revisions for sure.
-  Dr. Greenbaum in New Jersey has performed more than 100 RNY-to-DS revisions.  One member mentioned in the DS board that he worked with Dr. Rabkin in California for about a year.  Several members have mentioned that he is an excellent surgeon, especially for RNY-to-DS revisions, and he has done excellent work!
-  Dr. Herron in NYC performs revisions.
-  Dr. Inabnet in NYC performs RNY-to-DS revisions and has performed hundreds of DS operations, according to a member on the DS board.  He also accepts high-risk cases.
-  Dr. Kurian in NYC performs revisions.  However, he no longer performs DS, according to several members on the DS board.
-  Dr. Pomp in NYC performs virgin DS but no longer performs revisions to DS, according to several members on the DS board.
-  Dr. Roslin in New York does DS.  However, when doing a revision from RNY, he makes it a distal RNY.  But he does not perform RNY-to-DS revisions.  In addition, he performs VBG-to-DS revisions on a case-by-case basis, according to a member on the DS board.  Plus, he performs GLB-to-DS revisions, according to several members on the DS board.
-  Dr. Shah in NYC performs revisions on a case-by-case basis.
-  Dr. McMullen in NY does not perform revisions.
-  Dr. Nicastro in NY does not perform revisions.
-  Dr. Sparks in NY does not perform revisions.
-  Dr. Sudan in NC (formerly Nebraska) is believed to perform revisions.  However, he has moved his practice to Duke University in Raleigh, NC, according to a member on the DS board. His address is: Durham Regional Hospital's Health Services Center; 407 Crutchfield Street; Durham, NC 27704; 919-660-2229.
-  Dr. Voellinger in NC does not perform RNY-to-DS revisions, although he does perform general revisions, according to a member on the Revision board.
-  Dr. Anderson in Ohio does not specialize in revisions at all.  Instead, she refers patients to Dr. Schumacher in Ohio, who performs RNY-to-DS revisions as well as other revisions, according to a member on the DS board.
-  Dr. Hess in Ohio is retired now.
-  Dr. Lane in Ohio usually performs RNY-to-DS revisions for those with higher BMIs but determines on case-to-case basis.  He also performs VBG-to-DS revisions.  He has moved his practice to the Dept of Surgery at the University of Toledo MC (UTMC) as of 7/2008.  His address is: The University of Toledo Medical Center; Department of Surgery-Bariatric Surgery; 3000 Arlington Ave., Floor 2C; Toledo, OH 43614.  His new phone number is 419-383-6932.  URL: http://utmc.utoledo.edu/clinics/bariatricsurgery/
-  Dr. Maguire in Ohio does not do RNY-to-DS revisions but does a distal RNY.  He told a member on the Revision board that he used to do the RNY-to-DS revisions for patients who insisted on them.  However, he mentioned that in his experience, his patients who had distal RNY revisions achieved the same weight loss results with lesser risks and fewer complications than with the RNY-to-DS revisions.  Therefore, he no longer performs the complete DS revisions.  
-  Dr. Teel in Ohio does not perform any revisions.
-  Dr. Thomford in Ohio has retired as of 2005.
-  Dr. Deveney in Oregon performs RNY-to-DS revisions, as well as revisions from GLB and old stomach stapling operations.  He also performs more complicated and higher-risk revisions (such as a MGB-to-VSG revision in late 11/2007).  In doing revisions to different procedures, he takes down (reverses) old procedures before performing new procedures.  He is very anti-GLB and very anti-stomach stapling, especially VBG.  The address and phone number as shown on duodenalswitch.com is incorrect and has been since the autumn of 2006.  The correct info is: Oregon Health & Science University; 3303 SW Bond Ave; Mailstop: CHH6D; Portland, OR 97239; 503-494-4373.  This info will remain until the keeper of the site gets around to making the correction as requested by me four times.
-  Dr. Bonanni in Pennsylvania has no info pertaining to any revision to DS.
-  Dr. Peters in Pennsylvania does not perform RNY-to-DS revisions and does not intend to get involved in them.  However, he does perform GLB-to-DS revisions and revisions from old stomach stapling operations.  He appears to be very anti-GLB from what was reported on the DS board and is more than willing to remove GLBs and VBGs.
-  Dr. Spaw in Tennessee does not perform any revisions of any kind, according to a member on the Revision board.
-  Dr. Stewart in Texas performs GLB-to-DS and RNY-to-DS revisions.  Several members have reported that he is open and honest with his surgical skills.
-  Dr. Simper in Utah performs RNY-to-DS revisions, as well as revisions from old stomach stapling operations.
-  Dr. Elariney in Virginia performs RNY-to-DS revisions, according to a member on the DS board.  Another member reported that he has a mortality rate of zero with revisions. 
-  Dr. Fichter in West Virginia has no info pertaining to any revision to DS.
-  Dr. Alcides Jose Branco Filho in Brazil has no info pertaining to any revision to DS.
-  Dr. Marchesini in Brazil performs RNY-to-DS revisions.  However, one member reported on the DS board that he often leaves an RNY-style pouch, which could be a distal RNY and doesn't turn out to be the full DS.
-  Dr. Antelmo Sasso Fin in Brazil performs RNY-to-DS revisions.
-  Dr. Ungson in Mexico performs RNY-to-DS revisions.  He also takes on cases considered too "complicated" or "high risk" by other surgeons.  Members have reported that he is considered one of the greatest DS surgeons.
-  Dr. Baltasar in Spain performs RNY-to-DS revisions and has trained Dr. Ungson.  One member on the DS board reported that he is one of the most experienced virgin DS and RNY-to-DS revision surgeons.  Plus, the same member reportedly paid $16K for the surgery plus $2K in traveling expenses in 2005 (the cost may have gone up since then).  Another member on the same board reported that he also performs VBG-to-DS revisions by taking down the old surgery and doing the full DS.

A number of members reported on the DS board that DS surgeons in California may charge upfront fees of $4K-$10K to cover services that are not reimbursed by insurance.  However, one member reported on the DS board that some of the fees may be refunded if insurance reimburses enough to cover them.

Further info about each DS surgeon can be found in the following link:
http://www.duodenalswitch.com/surgeons/surgeons.html
Note: A few DS surgeons are not vetted into that website.

Initial research done by Karla H.
Source: http://www.obesityhelp.com/member/karlahook/
Click on "September 2007" blog
This list last updated 12/12/2008

If any of the foregone info is incorrect or outdated, then please respond to this message with a brief explanation of the correct or updated info.  Thank you.

Vicki

DS (lap) with Dr. Clifford Deveney. Cholecystectomy (lap) with Dr. Clifford Deveney 19 months post-op.

Has not weighed myself since 1/2010.  Letting my clothes gauge my progress instead.

Kathy H.
on 12/12/08 9:57 am - Kent, WA
WOW, Vicki!! What a great lot of information. Thank you!

I would like to add that Dr Greenbaum in NJ also performs VBG to DS surgeries. I'm in the process of gathering my documentation for him to do  mine, early next year.  Dr Greenbaum emailed me that the VBG to DS surgery is much less complicated to perform than the RNY to DS. According to his patient coordinator, Tina, he comes out of the VBG to DS surgeries "much less sweaty" than he does the RNY to DS surgeries ... ~laughing~

He's been incredibly responsive, and according to Tina, spent six months (not a year) with the Rabkins. He has a minimal program fee ($350, which is reduced to cover only the protein drinks required after surgery if you're coming from out of state), and works with many different insurance companies. Baring complications, he requires out-of-state patients to stay in the area for one week after surgery.

DS Facts
on 12/12/08 10:03 am
Thank you so much Vicki!!!  <3

Bev
Tenorwb
on 12/12/08 10:58 pm - NJ
Great piece of information.   Inabnet is doing my lap-band to DS revision.

Peace,

William

To teach something is to have it.  To have something you must be it.   Teach peace, for that is what you are. 
To listen to me sing:   www.youtube.com/watch

Michelle E.
on 1/12/09 8:49 am - Fishers, IN
WOW...much thanks for the list.  I am going to use Dr. Maguire in Ohio to do my VBG to DS.  Just in case he says he can't I now have your list to look at for potential doctors.

Revision from a VBG in '96  

SW/380 CW/260 GW/140
Vicki PNW
on 1/12/09 9:41 am
Thanks for letting me know that Dr. Maguire performs VBG-to-DS revisions.  The info on the list has been changed to reflect that.

I am hoping that your revision will be performed successfully.

Vicki

DS (lap) with Dr. Clifford Deveney. Cholecystectomy (lap) with Dr. Clifford Deveney 19 months post-op.

Has not weighed myself since 1/2010.  Letting my clothes gauge my progress instead.

Kerry J.
on 8/3/09 5:14 am - Santa Clara, UT
What a great resource Vicki; thank you for your work and persistence.

I would like to add one piece of information about Dr. Ungson.

He wouldn't revise me to a DS saying that my case would be too dangerous; he suggested RNY. I never did get a solid reason from his as to why he believed this to be the case, just reporting what happened when I was corresponding with him about my case.

Kerry
Most Active