I hate food.

Guate Wife
on 12/9/08 7:29 am - Grand Rapids, MI
Hi Anna,

I remember this phase.  It was weird being a couple months out, and I was thinking 'did my body just run out of ghrelin?'.  I was hungry immediately post-op, and then nothing for a couple months.  Forcing myself to eat.  Laughing at when I used to think 'yeah skinny ***** how can you forget to eat??'.  I definitely could have gone days & days with nothing and been fine hunger-wise.  Anyway, I think you are doing GREAT!  I keep watching your ticker move!!

Here is my recipe for protein balls.  I make them weekly, and munch on them all week.

CRUNCHY PROTEIN BALLS

Ingredients:

2.5 C crunchy peanut butter:  140g protein  /  100g net carbs

1 C oatmeal:  10g protein  /  23g net carbs

1 C protein powder (vanilla or chocolate) :  78g protein  /  7g net carbs

1 C pecans or walnuts (chopped) :  12g protein  /  4g net carbs

¾ C splenda:  0g protein  /  18g net carbs

½ C benefiber:  0g protein  /  18g net carbs

Optional Ingredients:

Cinnamon to taste

Nutmeg to taste

UCal D

Preparation:

Warm peanut butter in microwave for 40 seconds.

Add everything else in and mix well (kneading with the hands works best).

Roll into walnut size balls (approximately 30), and refrigerate in a sealed container.

Nutrition breakdown:

Made with vanilla (chocolate has less protein & higher carbs) Champion Nutrition Pure Whey Protein Stack (3 scoops = 1 C), the whole recipe is:

240g of protein

170g of net carbs

~ I am the proud wife of a Guatemalan, but most people call me Kimberley
Highest Known Weight  =  370#  /  59.7 bmi  @  5'6"

Current Weight  =  168#  /  26.4 bmi  :  fluctuates 5# either way  @  5'7"  /  more than 90% EWL
Normal BMI (24.9)  =  159#:  would have to compromise my muscle mass to get here without plastics, so this is not a goal.

I   my DS.    Don't go into WLS without knowing ALL of your options:  DSFacts.com

Anna G.
on 12/9/08 7:34 am
Kimberly, thank you so much!! I'm going to stop on the way home and pick up the ingredients.

2xacharm
on 12/9/08 4:41 pm, edited 12/9/08 4:49 pm - GA
I don't know, there's just something about the title of that recipe.

Charmed

Edit: Alright, Alright, I'm slowly crawling out of the gutter lol.
DS Facts
on 12/9/08 6:57 am
Oh Anna, I remember that phase well. It does it easier, I promise!

Bev
Anna G.
on 12/9/08 7:38 am
Thanks, Bev!

Ahrie
on 12/9/08 7:42 am - Dublin, OH
Hey Anna,

I was actually a vegetarian for a few years and sometimes have a tough time with meat too. Here is a Mac-n-cheese recipe which has about 35 grams of protein per serving if you like this sort of thing, it's really good, but VERY filling... Feel good!
  • 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
  • 1 (16 ounce) package Dreamfield's elbow macaroni
  • 9 tablespoons butter
  • 1 cup shredded Muenster cheese
  • 1 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
  • 1 cup shredded sharp Cheddar cheese
  • 1 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese
  • 1 1/2 cups heavy cream 
  • 8 ounces cubed processed cheese food
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper

1. Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Add pasta and cook for 8 minutes or until al dente; drain well and return to cooking pot.
  2. In a small saucepan over medium heat, melt 4 tablespoons butter; stir into the macaroni. Transfer to a lightly greased deep 2 1/2 quart casserole dish.
  3. In a large bowl, combine the Muenster cheese, mild and sharp Cheddar cheeses, and Monterey Jack cheese; mix well.
  4. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
  5. Using the pot from step 2 melt 4 tablespoons butter, slowly add heavy cream stirring constantly, add cubed cheese food and 1/2 of shredded cheese mixture, stir until it has a smooth consistency (don't forget to taste liberally at this stage it is SOOOO yummy!)
  6. Add all but 1/2 cup of the remaining shredded cheese to the pasta mixing well and then pour your melted cheese over the pasta, mix well, spoon yourself out a small bowl.
  7. Sprinkle with the remaining 1/2 cup of cheese mixture and 1 tablespoon of butter.
  8. Bake in preheated oven for 15 minutes or until hot and bubbling around the edges; serve.
  9. Enjoy the small portion you spooned out while you wait for the cheese on top to melt and the whole thing to set together.
Anna G.
on 12/9/08 7:45 am
OMG. That sounds like a little slice of heaven. There's nowhere to buy Dreamfields around here but I'm sure I can find it on line. Thanks, Ahrie!

Guate Wife
on 12/9/08 7:43 am - Grand Rapids, MI
Anna:   A couple other suggestions.  Like Val said, mix it up with her ricotta fluff recipe.  Some of my favorites are adding pumpkin (it is low carb) & cinnamon   -or-   butterscotch.  I've made a lemon that is great with raspberries added.

Do you like fish or crab?  If so, this is something I make a lot (although not with the tuna), but substitute canned salmon or lump crab -- yummm!

Parmesan Tuna Patties

Ingredients:
1 (6 3/4-oz) can albacore tuna
1 tablespoon mayonnaise
1 large egg
2 tablespoons Parmesan cheese
1 dash garlic powder
1 dash onion powder
1 dash salt

Directions:
Drain tuna. Blend all ingredients in a medium size bowl and form into patties. Fry in oil (use olive oil, but you may use cooking spray****il brown on edges. Turn. Fry until done.
Recipe serves four. Per serving: 284 calories, 32 grams protein, 15 grams fat (3 saturated) and 4 grams carbohydrate.

A source I use a lot is Eggface's blog.  Great ideas for protein shakes, love her new 5 minute protein cakes, and also love the souffles.  She can manage to add protein powder to anything!  I tweak her recipes a bit to add fat (she had RnY), but there are a lot of great ideas that are easy to make:  theworldaccordingtoeggface.blogspot.com/

I also ate a lot of protein bars during this period (Power Crunch are my favorite) and ate a lot of soy nuts (don't know if the nuts would be a problem for you or not).

~ I am the proud wife of a Guatemalan, but most people call me Kimberley
Highest Known Weight  =  370#  /  59.7 bmi  @  5'6"

Current Weight  =  168#  /  26.4 bmi  :  fluctuates 5# either way  @  5'7"  /  more than 90% EWL
Normal BMI (24.9)  =  159#:  would have to compromise my muscle mass to get here without plastics, so this is not a goal.

I   my DS.    Don't go into WLS without knowing ALL of your options:  DSFacts.com

Anna G.
on 12/9/08 7:55 am
Oooh, I like this. It reminds me of the "salmon croquettes" my mother used to make when I was a kid. Thanks! 

Elizabeth N.
on 12/9/08 7:43 am - Burlington County, NJ
Harder cheeses, like Asiago or provolone, usually have the same amount of protein per ounce as meat.

How about eggs?
Recent Topics