I hate food.

Anna G.
on 12/9/08 6:34 am

I've entered this truly bizarre phase over the last couple of weeks; ever since Thanksgiving actually, where it disgusts me to eat anything. I have some appetite, but after one bite I feel like I just bit into something nasty and I do not want any more. I'm literally having to choke food down. I've added a couple more protein shakes to my day because I'm not getting much down at all. 

It seems to be worse with meat than anything else. Of course pre-op I would go days without eating meat, and at one point considered becoming a vegetarian because now that I think about it, I used to go through those phases pre-op too, when the idea of eating meat just made me sick. I would have thought that would change after DS, since my body should be craving it. I guess not. 

Anybody have any high-protein food ideas that don't involve meat or soy? Cheese and nuts have some protein, but you have to eat quite a bit to get enough down. I guess I'm just going to have to nibble what I can and supplement with drinks. I have some Unjury unflavored protein mix too...maybe I can get creative with that. I guess I should have learned to cook at some point in my life. LOL

Sheila K.
on 12/9/08 6:39 am
Thats such a coincidence you should post about this. I was just talking to Lori B the other day and telling her the same exact thing. She said she also goes through phases where the thought of meat makes her cringe. Its pretty normal from what I understand. I have also added in protein shakes to get my protein in until this passes. I will be curious to hear some of the protein suggestions from the others.
BTW, you are looking great :) congratulations on how well you are doing.

Anna G.
on 12/9/08 6:43 am
Thanks, Shelia! And just look at your ticker! 61 pounds gone already! You're gonna be at goal before you know it.

hollyface
on 12/9/08 6:45 am - TX
TVP (textured vegetable protein) and quinoa (a south american psuedo-grain that has A LOT of protein).  check your local health food store.
"Believe nothing, no matter where you read it or who has said it, not even if i have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense."  - Buddha

HW: 322  SW:  314  CW:  137

Anna G.
on 12/9/08 6:51 am

Thanks, hollyface! I actually have some quinoa at home; I just didn't realize it was high in protein!  Very cool.

But isn't TVP made from soy? I can't handle soy at all. Or at least I couldn't pre-op. I haven't tried any soy products post-op, but before surgery it gave me the most unbelievable gas.

hollyface
on 12/9/08 6:57 am - TX
yeah, TVP typically has soy in it.  i'm sure it could be found without it but it would likely be prohibitively expensive.

and the quinoa nut stats are:

Quinoa, uncooked
Nutritional value per 100 g (3.5 oz)
Energy 370 kcal   1540 kJ
Carbohydrates     64 g
- Starch  52 g
- Dietary fibre  7 g  
Fat 6 g
- polyunsaturated  3.3 g  
Protein 14 g
Water 13
Thiamin (Vit. B1)  0.36 mg   28%
Riboflavin (Vit. B2)  0.32 mg   21%
Vitamin B6  0.5 mg 38%
Folate (Vit. B9)  184 μg  46%
Vitamin E  2.4 mg 16%
Iron  4.6 mg 37%
Magnesium  197 mg 53% 
Phosphorus  457 mg 65%
Zinc  3.1 mg 31%
Percentages are relative to US
recommendations for adults.
Source: USDA Nutrient database
"Believe nothing, no matter where you read it or who has said it, not even if i have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense."  - Buddha

HW: 322  SW:  314  CW:  137

Larissa P.
on 12/9/08 6:47 am - Denton, TX
I love meat, it's just expensive and I'm a lousy cook...

I wonder if that will change post-op.

Of course, I've got quite a bit of Atkins experience under my belt and I loved eating that way (when I could afford it) so maybe that will help too.

Curious, does your aversion to meat also mean a real addiction to carbs? I mean, you can't convince me you are eating nothing but vegatables when you go through these phases...?
Duodenal Switch hybrid due to complications.

Click! > DS Documents ~ VitaLady.com ~ DSFacts.com ~ OH DS FB
Anna G.
on 12/9/08 6:56 am
No, I'm keeping my carbs well under 50 grams a day. I really am choking down the meat. Just not enough to get all my protein in, so I'm supplementing with protein drinks. Not sure if I care whether or not you're convinced. LOL

Larissa P.
on 12/9/08 6:59 am - Denton, TX
I'm sorry, I should have clarified - I meant pre-op - when people in general didn't like meat, or didn't eat meat, did they make up for it in carbs in their meals? Did you?

That was more of an observation, I was wondering if the lack of interest in meat corresponded to an increased consumption of carbs.

Didn't mean to sound like I was accusing you! lol
Duodenal Switch hybrid due to complications.

Click! > DS Documents ~ VitaLady.com ~ DSFacts.com ~ OH DS FB
Anna G.
on 12/9/08 7:06 am

OIC! I shouldn't have got my hackles up then.

I ate one hell of a lot of carbs pre-op until just a few months before surgery. But I ate them all the time, whether I was also eating meat or not. I could have been very happy though, eating nothing but bread and cheese. My favorite meal was hot French bread with baked brie.

Recent Topics