Pre-Op Wish List: What to expect when you're expecting DS!

ellesix
on 8/27/08 5:15 am
Oh no worries! We are in this together! :)

I can't wait to get this over with!
Anna G.
on 8/27/08 4:01 am

Hi Elle!

I'm getting switched on the 17th at Kennestar! Where are you going to be?

I'm bringing my mp3 player and some headphones. They say it's noisy, and I figure that will be even better than earplugs with some nice, healing music.

They may have DVD players in the rooms...I think I remember someone saying they wished they had brought some videos because the TV selection sucked.

I wasn't sure how I would handle tongs either so I splurged and bought a Bottom Buddy. Probably a huge waste of money but at least I know it works.

The one thing I hear over and over is Chapstick. That seems to be the one must-have item.

I'm really glad you've moved from the total freak-out stage to the let's-get-prepared stage! I haven't hit my freak yet, and I totally don't feel prepared! LOL 

Lori Black
on 8/27/08 4:17 am - , IN
Don't forget the charger for your iPod, Anna!!!!  That was HUGE for me!
Anna G.
on 8/27/08 4:32 am
Ooh, thanks Lori! That would sooo suck, to run out of juice for my Zune. That's going on the list! I bought a teeny tiny laptop too, so I can log on in the hospital without having to hold up a big ole machine. I have a feeling I'm going to have this whole electronics bay with me and never use any of it. LOL

moore972003
on 8/27/08 4:15 am - IN
OMG, I LOVED Judy Blume when I was a kid!  I tried to get my son to read Freckle Juice, but he wasn't having it!

You got some great answers here.  I think I asked the same question preop.  I took what I KNEW I would use, and ended up using barely any of it.  I did use my crocs to walk the halls with.  I also used some lotion and chapstick.  I never read.  I barely watched tv.  I usually slept.  Seriously, pack light. 

Mandy                                     ***See my blog for appeal info***

hokiefan
on 8/27/08 4:15 am - MD
chapstick
ipod & charger
slippers
clothes to wear home
pillow for car ride home
hair brush
I brought toiletries and I'm glad I did as I ended up being there a little longer than anticipated so it was nice to get all clean with my own stuff
hair bands
my mom ~ would have been a mess without her
SW: 278.5    CW: 145-150   GW: I think I'm there, learning to embrace it
Lori Black
on 8/27/08 4:22 am - , IN
If I could only take five things, this is what I would take.

1) iPod and charger with plenty of favorites downloaded.  You will want to organize a playlist of JUST quiet music for when you sleep.  Drowns out the noises of the loud hallways.

2) My most comfy pillow

3) My hair straightener and brush

4) My hair dryer

5) Pressed powder for my face 

Yeah, I know #'s 3-5 make me look vain.  I couldn't walk those hospital halls looking like crap!  Lol!  Truth is, the way my Mom raised me....my outward appearance relates directly to how I'm feeling on the inside.  If I look good, it's because I feel good.  The two go hand in hand for me.  So freshening up and looking nice made me feel good on the inside, so it was like therapy for me after surgery!

Seriously, the rest of the things I had just didn't matter!  The hospital will have everything you need. 

Oh, and take your toothbrush and toothpaste.  Those things are just never right at the hospital!!!

Lori
ellesix
on 8/27/08 5:13 am
Oh yeah Lori. Gotta look good for those post op photo ops~! :)

I love that you said that! FUNNY!!

Flor_Bellas
on 8/27/08 6:29 am - Miami, FL
Girl I am so there with you on #'s 3-5, my mom (rest her soul) raised me the same way.  And the truth is if you freshen up and look good you end up changing how you feel inside if you truly don't feel good.  I already have my Bare Minearals makeup  in my hospital bag from like way before my surgery dates kept getting switched.

Maria a.k.a. Tinker Bell's mentorTinker Bell
HW ~ SW ~ CW ~ GW
301.5 ~ 290~ 172~ 130
View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com

Catnip
on 8/27/08 4:30 am - Ottawa, Canada
Chapstick
a clock radio - i had one that played soothing sounds (waterfall, summer nights etc - which the staff let me play all the time)
sports bra to keep the girls covered and comfy while eveyone looks at your insision
a big pair of pj shorts that you can put on under your hospital gown and then you never have to worry about exposing your self (on the other hand half the time i was so out of it i didn't care about exposing myself)
If you have a laptop bring it and some dvd's cause movies are excellent to zone out too.
Toothbrush and toothpaste
A slip one shoes or slippers for walking the halls( i took birkenstocks and wore them all the time)
As a wear home outfit i took a dress which was great because i didn't have to worry about anything binding against my incision and it was suer comfy.

good luck

catnip

Citrate or Bust (a few bones) !
catnip.gif picture by catnipcook

Recent Topics