Pre-Op Wish List: What to expect when you're expecting DS!

Kristi H.
on 8/27/08 2:48 am - Killeen, TX
I go right to the website vitalady.com.  You can click on protein and look through them and find ones that sound good to you.  You can also order vitamins there too, but some are cheaper elsewhere. 

The tongs aren't that bad... just wrap them around real good so you don't get anything on the actual tongs hehe.  I know it's kinda gross, but it was better than having someone else wipe for me, which I did have the first few days til I insisted hubby get me some.
LauraP705
on 8/27/08 9:46 am - Muscle Shoals, AL
You can either go online to www.vitalady.com or she has a phone number:

If you are experiencing difficulty placing your order on line
please call (866) VITALADY ( (866) 848-2523) to place orders only.

I ordered a BUNCH of samples and the cups with lids so I could try the protein when I think I can keep it down!

Yeah, I don't know about this whole back scratcher/tongs/wipes thing......................that will interesting and exhausting all at the same time!

Redhaired
on 8/27/08 2:04 am - Mouseville, FL
About the only thing I took to the hospital that I really needed was a back scratcher.  Man, did it ever come in handy.  You know the kind -- like a long stick with a monkey paw looking thing on the end.  Generally you can get them at the dollar store or Walgreen's.  I remember when the infectious disease doc made rounds (at 2:00am, no less) she would always pick mine up and give me a good scratch while we talked!

Red

ellesix
on 8/27/08 2:23 am
Why that was mighty nice of her!

That is a very sensible thing. That is going on the list pronto!
Kristi H.
on 8/27/08 2:51 am - Killeen, TX
Sarah mentioned chapstick, just be careful not to spend to much on it unless it is something you will use after you get out of the hospital.  I brought my own chapstick and mints and they wouldn't let me have either
bballmom12
on 8/27/08 7:16 am
sarah141
on 8/27/08 2:43 am - Fort Bragg, CA
I'm pretty fresh on what I needed at the hospital.  I must say, I was very lucky that I could reach to clean my own bottom!  Wipes were very nice. But I did bring plastic tongs or a wooden spoon just in case.  Make sure to bring your toothbrush & paste- your mouth gets really, really dry & having a clean mouth feel much better than not!  Chapstick is also a must!! You really get so dry!  Hand lotion was helpful too.  I had a book to read, but couldn't concentrate to do so.  Also I had a notebook & pen next to me so I could right down questions to ask my surgeon when he came for his daily visit!  I hope this helps!! Good luck!  Oh, don't be scared at all!  I wasn't nervous or anything & I'm glad I didn't waste any energy on doing so - the surgery was much better than I ever imagined!  Best wishes! 
 - Sarah    (Don't tell anyone I'm a secret ninja warrior!)
Visit: ThugRadio.Net, twitter.com/ThugRadio, sarah-anderson.artistwebsites.com/

AA
on 8/27/08 3:17 am - New York, NY
Definitely chapstick/vaseline and moisturizer.  It's so dry in the hospital (and, believe me I know.  I just had my gb out last month so I was back in).  Post DS: I wore the hosp. gown.  Some bring their own pjs.  I got a very large robe to drape over me.  Others wear 2 hosp. gowns (so their butts don't hang out).  Some like their own slippers.  Also, comfortable sweatpants or something for the trip home.  I didn't read and barely watched tv.  Others do.  It all depends on how you feel.

There are lists of what to bring all over here.  Let us know if you haven't found one.

The one thing I did buy preop was the ADEK.  That's b/c my surgeon required me to take it.  If your surgeon does you might want to get it.  I had to order it online so I wanted to be sure I had it.  I also bought a lot of water (to sip).  As for food, I bought eggs, tuna, turkey, etc., which my mother put in the blender the week she stayed w/me.  I also bought baby food (jars).  Big mistake.  It all went into the garbage.

Some people like a recliner (some say it depends how large you are) to sleep on postop.  I didn't.  Just used lots of pillows under my legs (but I always sleep that way anyhow) to relieve tension in my lower back.

Don't worry about asking too many ques.  Ask as many as you need.

Duodenal Switch/Lap -- Drs. Alfons Pomp & Michel Gagner - New York City

4/4/05: 265 lbs/BMI: 45.6

4/11/05: 256 lbs/BMI: 43.9 (date of surgery)

7/27/08: Gallbladder Removed

ellesix
on 8/27/08 5:17 am
I have been hearing about this left and right. Maybe I should break down and get a recliner from my mom's house so that I can sleep in it. EVerytime I sleep in that chair, I rest well.

I am pretty long so sleeping propped up may work for me. I said last night I would exeperiment sleeping on my back last night, but I forgot.
kat19136
on 8/27/08 3:56 am - Philadelphia, PA
Thanks for this post....I am becoming well informed and hadn't thought of tongs that is for sure!! But I might need them!!

~Kat~     ~hw-305~cw-130~gw-140   my DS!!  www.dsfacts.com

Recent Topics