??? Vitalady Nature's Science Calcium Citrate 750 ???

(deactivated member)
on 5/19/08 9:29 am - San Jose, CA
A bottle of what?  My initial post was about the Nature's Science Calcium Citrate 750, which supposedly has 750 mg per capsule of ... something -- it's not clear what. Again, 1000 mg of calcium citrate per 2 caps literally means 210 mg of elemental calcium.  Normal people are supposed to take 1000 mg/day of elemental calcium, according to the RDA, and we are supposed to take somewhat more.
ladynitewolf
on 5/19/08 11:49 am - BFE, CA
Diana, this is something that Susan Maria over at Bariatric Eating has been pounding into people. Yes, the label says Calcium Citrate - and it is the fair and correct amount. But it is not, as you say, elemental calcium. That is indicated by the label actually saying elemental calcium or calcium as calcium citrate. Just saying plain old calcium citrate, you only get the 21 % or so in elemental calcium - 150 mg of calcium.  In other words, don't shoot the messenger (Michelle). Shoot the manufacturer and/or the governing agencies so that they make the manufacturers give us a more realistic picture as to what's going on here. We have to be so much more cautious than other people, and unfortunately manufacturers are given leeway that makes them seem to be giving us much more than what we get.

~ Sarah P. 
Ask me about pregnancy after the Duodenal Switch!

They're here! My surro-sons were born July 21, 2009. Welcome to the world, Benjamin and Daniel. We love you very much!

(deactivated member)
on 5/19/08 12:10 pm - San Jose, CA
Yeah, that's sort of my point -- if the Nature's Science Calcium Citrate 750 capsules contain only 750 mg of calcium citrate and not 750 mg of elemental calcium, at least two well-read people on this board alone have been confused by this and are taking ONE-FIFTH of the calcium they think they are taking.  At what cost to their bones? I'd say not being CLEAR about this is unethical.  And the label on the bottle (saying it contains 75% of the RDA, which would be 750 mg of ELEMENTAL calcium) is FALSE.
L M
on 5/19/08 3:36 pm - MS

Good job Diana for catching this. I am a Pharmacist and since these supplements aren't monitored by the FDA alot of the companies do a shotty job of labeling. I wish the FDA would/could oversee these.  We have caught several errors at our pharmacy of supplements with unclear dosages and labeling. The notorious scam is the per serving content. The label may say calcium 1200mg, but under serving size it may say per 4 tablets or something. I have also seen several instances like you describe with other things such as iron or magnesium. It will say x mg and from whatever source but doesn't specify  if it's that many mg per elemental or salt form. I wouldn't take something from a bottle that doesn't specify the elemental amount.

Vicki In A Clam Shell
on 5/19/08 11:34 pm - near Louisville, KY
so where are we on this thing? Is the Costco calcium still a good thing to take?  Are we getting 500 mg of cal cit when we take 2? what about the upcal D, what is the concensus on that?  Is there 500mg in a spoon of it? what about the vitalady 750s that sounds like a dream come true.  750 mg in one pill the size of a candy.  Is it what it says it is? I just like things to be clear.  No ambiguity with my vitamins please.
I owed it to myself to research the duodenal switch before consenting to any other weight loss surgery and so do you.  Check out DSFacts.com and DuodenalSwitch.com for more information.  Remember think twice, cut once, revisions are risky and revision surgeons are rare.
 DS Lab Rats 

(deactivated member)
on 5/20/08 12:14 am - San Jose, CA
The only one I trust at this point is the Costco calcium citrate.   I'm waiting to hear back from Michelle on the Vitalady stuff, although I REALLY think it is impossible that the 750 mg capsules have 750 mg of elemental calcium. I don't know about the upcal D, because it doesn't make scientific sense that 2 g = 500 mg of elemental calcium, when 500 mg of elemental calcium citrate by defnition has to weigh 2.5 g.  Something is fishy with that.
diana_77us
on 5/20/08 12:20 am - Mount Wolf, PA
What is your opinion on 

Citracal® Petites with Vitamin D

Bottle of Citracal Petites
  • One serving provides 400 mg of calcium
  • One serving provides 400 IU of Vitamin D

Serving Size : 2 tablets

DIRECTIONS FOR USE: Take 1 to 2 tablets two times daily or as recommended by your physician, pharmacist or health professional.

(deactivated member)
on 5/20/08 12:25 am - San Jose, CA
I think they are fine, so long as you keep in mind that they only provide 400 mg elemental calcium per TWO tablets, so you need to take at least 6 per day for 1200 mg, two tablets at a time in three divided doses, and most people should probably take more.
jen319_rn
on 5/20/08 12:39 am - La Plata, MD
Ok, so I am clear in my brain. My surgeon has changed his guidelines with regards to the daily intake in mgs of calcium citrate. He wants his patients to take 2000 to 2400mgs of calcium citrate per day. Now, this means that for me to hit that number I take 2 tabs which is a serving to get 630 mgs four times a day to equal 2530mgs. If Upcal D is correct that each packet contains 500mgs and we ABSORB 50% of that then to get the recommended 1000mgs I would take 4 packets. In pill form I would in turn get half of the 2530 mgs per day. So, bottom line would this be correct????? If I only take 1000mgs and we get half and god know how much we really get from our new innerds would taking the higher amount be right??????? I think that percentage amounts on the bottles say what you get for a normal person and since we are different I just want to be in good health and take the correct stuff. Please let me know what you think. Jennifer

Jennifer

Renee2007
on 5/20/08 12:47 am, edited 5/20/08 12:48 am - Central, FL
"I take 2 tabs which is a serving to get 630 mgs four times a day to equal 2530mgs " That's exactly how I take it. I also have the Upcal D and slip it into a drink or two but I base my daily totals on the pills. Anything over the pill amount is gravy to me. "In pill form I would in turn get half of the 2530 mgs per day." You're not absorbing only half of the pills, their label information is correct, not misleading like the Upcal D. With the pills you are getting that full amount.

Renee
 My DS   
SW/263  CW/136 GW/150