Recent Posts

Crystal B.
on 1/5/04 5:22 am - Greenbelt, MD
Topic: RE: D.C. Area Support Groups?
Hello, There is also a MD support group on Mondays from 7-9 and a VA one on Tuesdays. These are for the DS as well as the RNY patients. It is run by Dr. Elariny's patients; however, ANY pre and post ops are welcome. After all, we are all in the same boat concerning WLS no matter what surgeon performs it, right? Please e-mail me at [email protected], and I can put you in touch with the contact person. Thanks. Crystal
Santa C.
on 12/24/03 1:08 am - Elf Land, AK
Topic: Greetings!
I wanted to wish you all a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Waist Line! You are all doing so well no matter where you are in your journey - - - Keep up the good work and don't be naughty! Ho, Ho, Ho. Santa
Nicole G.
on 12/23/03 6:54 am - Greenbelt, MD
I am interested in having a WLS and I wanted to begin going to support groups. I also am looking into recommendation regarding doctors. Thanks!
(deactivated member)
on 12/18/03 11:10 pm - Campobello, SC
BOBOKITTY
on 12/7/03 1:35 pm - MD
Topic: The media Has me Pissed!!!
Hi ALL, This is my take on this whole darn 1/50 mortality rate from WLS thing. When you are Obese the statistics say blah blah blah % of Obese die. They say we are lazy that we have low self esteem and that we need to just pull back from the table. So, what do we do? we go on a diet and start to loose weight spend tons of money on the weight loss crap. Then what? We gain it back and then some, they say we did not try hard enough, we have no will power. Ok then we have a more permanent form of weight loss which is what? the surgery and now they say blah blah blah % died due to complications from the surgery. I said all of that to say this, we are in a no WIN situation with the Media and their @#$$%&$!!!! Statistics. I say to hell with them all, because we stand a greater RISK of MORTALITY by being Obese than we do haviing the surgery. Complications arise in every facet of everyday life. There are people who die from a routine exploratory surgery, do we hear about that? No. There are women who die giving birth, there are people who die after having a tooth pulled. But none of these things are broadcast. It is just another way to TRY and I stress TRY and keep the BIG KIDS DOWN!!! But here on OH we got news for them, we are NOT backing down, we say have fun with your statistics and CRAP because we are finally going to do something for US and we are going to stand up for what we believe in. That is why this site is so vital and it is so important to support one another because we have so many odds against us. This is not the worlds fight this is our FIGHT and together if we stand TALL we can win this thing. Good Luck to all of the PRE- OPS and just know that although this is not an easy task you have a lot of support here for you when you cross over. You can email me anytime and I will respond I will even call you if you need to talk. Just no that you are not alone we are here to help. Love ya!!! Adrienne
BOBOKITTY
on 12/4/03 12:24 pm - MD
Topic: I am in deep Mourning
It has finally come to me after all of the wonderful responses I received from my last post. I am in deep mourning. I have loss my best friend. FOOD. It never dawned on me before that I abused food the way I did. I never realized how much I depended on food until now. I find that as soon as I am stressed good or bad I am ready to reach for something to shove in my mouth. So I had to find something else. It is still hard no matter how much I try and divert my attention to something else,but at least it is a start. I bought the Gazelle Elite by Tony Little and now when I am stressed good or bad I HOP on Tony and ride into the sunset. I just wanted to say thank you all so much for your kind words and heartfelt emails. I know this is just the begining for me and that things will get better. I am slowly but surely learning the meaning "Patience is a Virtue". Adrienne
(deactivated member)
on 12/2/03 10:56 am - Campobello, SC
Topic: please help
I hate to repost this but i posted over the weekend and i know alot of people were out shopping the good sales after thanksgiving and seems i only got 2 responses to my prior post i was hoping a repost would get more responses. I do understand times are hard for alot of people this year but those who can contribute even a item thats only a few dollars would be so appreciated by the recipients so heres my repost below: Christmas is approaching and alot of our troops protecting our land and other lands in the world will not be with their familys at christmas i was speaking to my sister and her hubby stationed in iraq mentioned little things they wish they had like games such as monopoly, card games, checkers, chess, game boys to pass their time when not on duty and things like travel size items , grooming kits, and toiletries tins of cookies, beef jerky, candy (not chocolate) always come in handy or anything else people can think of . Im takin collections for the next two weeks and then any items recieved will be shipped via my brother in law who will then pass them out to his troops and other troops in iraq . I understand financial hard times for alot of people including myself my son is 17 and we already decided the cost for shipping once we get some items donated will be great so we are forgoing our christmas and our gift will be to see that our troops know that people care about them not only during the holidays but always . If anyone can contribute by sending a item or help with shipping please email me for my address, items will need to be shipped soon because mail is taking up to 3 weeks to arrive in iraq even tho i know some of these items may not arrive in time for xmas they could use these anytime and i will send the 1st shipment out as soon as i get them in hopes some items arrive before xmas. Also letters or cards are appreciated .Thanks to all and please keep your thoughts with the men and women protecting us.
Mary M.
on 12/2/03 6:47 am - Washington, DC
Topic: RE: Info. on Dr. Hazem A. Elariny
Hi, Lisa, Dr. Elariny (known as Dr. E by his patients) is great! Check out his web site www.alagsa.com to find out more about him. Don't forget to check out his resume, which gives you a good idea about his excellent credentials. He did my lap Vertical gastroplasty with sleeve in 12/2002 and my second half or the BPD/DS in 9/2003. I trusted him with my life, and it was trust well placed. Mary
Mary M.
on 12/2/03 6:39 am - Washington, DC
Topic: RE: I need Answers Please!!!
Life after surgery is not all peaches and cream (to use a food metaphor). Weight loss surgery has not "solved" my emotional issues. I still fight with the food demons. I still want to eat more and eat sweet. And it's still extremely frustrating when I don't look as good as I would like to look. You didn't specifically say what problems you are having. I haven't lost enough weight yet. Although I've lost enough on "paper" (200 pounds). I am currently unemployed, and have been for almost 18 months. I am miserable about that! WLS won't solve that for me. I'm still alone. No man on the horizon, but I believe I just need to accept that. Believing that doesn't make the acceptance come any easier. Anyway, if I've touched on something you'd like to share more about, please answer me or email me privately. Mary
Mary M.
on 12/2/03 6:31 am - Washington, DC
Dr. Hazem Elariny has a support group the first Tuesday of every month at INOVA Fairfax hospital. You can check out the people and find out more about the group at group.yahoo.com/groups/DS_Elariny ( I hope I got the site address right!). I'd be really interested in a support group in DC though because getting to Fairfax for a 7:00 PM meeting can be hard. Mary McGill
Most Active