Recent Posts

lizzy1215
on 6/19/12 8:36 am - wasington, DC
Topic: Has anyone been successful with united healthcare medicad approving there surgery? And how long?
I really need help I'm interested in gastriv bypass I weigh 340 nd I'm 5'6 wen I went to my primary doc he said ppl need to be 400+ lbs to get surgery but I know that's not true so I'm goin to a seminar at providence hospital....so please wish me luck!!
lizzy1215
on 6/19/12 8:20 am - wasington, DC
Topic: RE: xp- Anyone in the DMV with United Healthcare through Medicaid
Providence Dr.Rickford does I'm goin to the seminar this Thursday
TomiLaChance
on 3/29/12 2:51 am - VA
Topic: In Alexandria, looking for Others...
I'm Tomi, I'm a 25 years young female. I had Bypass on March 14. I'm in Alexandria and looking for others in NOVA, DC or Southern Maryland in the DC Metro area that have been through similar experiences. I would also love to attend existing Support Groups or possibly start one with others. Look forward to hearing from you all! :)
-Tomi
25F. Surgery Date: 3/14/12. RNY Gastric Bypass.

NOTHING tastes as good as being healthy and full of energy FEELS <3

kimberlina180
on 3/25/12 9:14 am
REALIZE Band on 02/09/10 with
Topic: New meetup group started by lap bander with upcoming clothing swap
We started an activity group for people of all shapes and sizes in the DC, MD, VA area.  I would like to have other bariatric surgery patients as members :)

http://www.meetup.com/dc-all-shapes-sizes/

Upcoming activities include a clothing swap, free yoga class, international pillow fight day, evening of jazz, brunch, krav maga intro lesson, dinner, a trip to the beaches of North Carolina for hang gliding etc. 

Welcome to the Washington DC, MD, and VA Kick A.S.S. Group where we welcome and host activities for men and women of All Shapes, Sizes (A.S.S.)! If you are averaged size or you’ve ever felt self-conscious about being the biggest girl or smallest guy (or vice versa) at an event or if you don’t think you can do something because of your weight this group will show you that you can! Whether you are secure at your current weight or looking to gain or lose weight this group is for you.

This group will plan the standard fare events like dinners, brunches, movies, clothing swaps, potluck parties, wine tastings, and museum-outings as well as more adventurous events that may challenge you in new ways, like zip lining, zumba, kickball, climbing a rock wall, taking dance classes etc. If you haven’t done those activities before the best way to start is with other newbies like us! And if you’re afraid that you might fail at an activity don’t worry we’ll all make an A.S.S. out of ourselves together. The weather is starting to get nice! Once it warms up we will have a beginner outdoor series that will include easy hikes, walks, bike rides, and camping. We’ll take it at a slow pace suitable for everyone and take breaks as needed. Love to travel? Get ready to pack your bags for the beach, weekend road-trips, and maybe Greece this year.

http://www.meetup.com/dc-all-shapes-sizes/

lilsis1920
on 2/9/12 6:08 am - MD
Topic: Help for a family member
Greetings!
I'm seeking mental health and social support for a family member who is experiencing a host of health crisis including obesity, kidney disease and diabetes. I'm really worried that he is slipping further and further into depression, which will halt our best efforts at helping. Where are the support groups in the area and what times do they meet? Also, does anyone know if you can access counseling thru medicaid--and know of any counselors that specialize in obesity/weight loss issues?

Thank you so much for your help!
Kate S.
on 2/5/12 8:38 am - Purcellville, VA
Topic: RE: OT - therapist?
I just moved to NOVA too, currently in temporary housing very close to Fair Lakes.  Would you mind posting (or PMing me) your therapists name?

Thanks!
swanie76
on 1/26/12 12:52 am
Topic: RE: HELP! I am freaking out!!
FIRST, stop....breathe..Now remember why you are here.Everything you are going through is ok. Its like when someone is about to get married they start to doubt their love and rather they are ready.You are ready and obviously if you was approved you are in need. I didnt go to a support group my support was reminding myself why i needed/wanted the surgery in the first place. All the things that was difficult that shouldnt been like running and taking multiple flights of steps. they way i felt when i looked at myself in the mirror and the thought of shortening my life span its many more i can list but i hope you are getting the point.I have been on and off of of this site for years and have found much support and encouragement from many of the members. Just remember even when you feel alone you are not.

WLS 1/19/07
preop/current/drgoal/mygoal/ideal wt 
320/240/220/180/155 

Ticker 88396

Total Package
on 1/24/12 11:48 am - Greenbelt, MD
Topic: Dr. Daniel Tran at Howard University Hospital?
Hello All

If anyone here had WLS and/or a revision with Dr. Daniel Tran who now works out of Howard University Hospital, please PM me. Or if you know someone who has, please send them my way as well.

Thanks in advance.
Jack_Fabulous
on 1/21/12 11:21 am - VA
VSG on 02/16/12
Topic: HELP! I am freaking out!!

I told myself that it was not real unless I got the approval. Well, I got the approval so I guess it must be real. I am having a hard time wrapping my head around it. Frankly, I am terrified.

My surgery is just a few weeks away and I am beginning to panic about several different things.  I have been having doubts about my success and have fears about the surgery.  It is manifesting itself in me doubting my mental abilities to cope with everything.  

Because of work and family issues I was not able to go to the monthly bariatric meetings.  I am concerned that I have not built up any relationships with people who have had the surgery; people who can tell me that whatever I am experiencing is normal.  I don’t have anyone to talk me down off my ledge.  

I feel like I am going to wake up after surgery and be lost and not know what to do. I am worried that I don’t have anyone I don’t feel like I have a support network built up of people I can turn to when things get rough.  I’d be grateful for anyone who has had surgery or is about to have surgery to get to know me and help guide me through this uncharted journey.  Thank you. 

Jack_Fabulous
on 1/21/12 10:47 am - VA
VSG on 02/16/12
Topic: RE: OT - therapist?
My Therapist specializes in bariatric surgery, but she is in Fair Oaks, VA.  She takes all kinds of insurance. 
Most Active