Recent Posts

(deactivated member)
on 12/23/10 3:56 pm
Topic: 10 EASY WAYS TO LOSE 15 POUNDS
The thought of losing weight may be overwhelming. Especially if you have a goal to lose over 15 pounds. I've made a list of ten things you should do to help you lose 15 Pounds

1. Orient yourself with servings sizes- there's nothing quite like portion distortion. Get to know what ounces , cups, and grams look and feel like. At a restaurant you're served at least twice as much as you're supposed to eat. Do yourself a favor and share a meal with a friend/spouse. Here are a few ways to remember portion sizes : A cup is approximately the size of your fist. 3 oz (protein) is just about the size of your palm or a deck of cards. a tablespoon of butter is the size of the ditstal (from knuckle to tip) of your thumb. 2 tablespoons is the size of a ping pong ball.

2. Eat Breakfast- It's important to eat breakfast, you don't have to eat it first thing in the morning. Eat breakfast when you feel a little hungry. Your breakfast doesn't have to be a feast either, just give yourself enough food so that you won't empty the fridge by lunchtime.

3. Read food labels- "low fat", "diet" , " low carb" and "zero calories" Don't mean a damn thing !!!!!! An item may claim to have less fat , but does it tell you that more sugar or salt was added to compensate for the loss of flavor ? A food item may claim to have zero calories, but does it also claim to have Zero nutritional value ? Don't believe the hype , look at the Nutritional facts label on the back to really see what your eating , make note of the serving size and read the ingredients.If you don't know what the ingredients are google it !

4. Plate your food- Cows don't eat from a plate , they graze all day, there's no telling how much they eat. Don't be a cow ! Plate every food item so that you can visualize how much you're taking in. The easiest way to consume way too many calories is to mindlessly eat out a container. Be aware of how much you're eating.

5. Grocery shop on a full stomach- You are less likely to buy junk when you're at the supermarket when you aren't hungry. First and foremost you should make a grocery list and stick to it. Not only does this method help you save money, it helps you save your waistline.

zphigirl1920
on 12/23/10 9:51 am - Beltsville, MD
Topic: RE: Best insurance for WLS for Federal Employees
Amen.  Blue Cross Blue Shield Standard Option.  I live in Suitland.  You go girl. 
Keep Losing...weight that is!
Tre`Sina

blackchristianswan
on 12/3/10 9:17 am - MD
RNY on 03/19/12
Topic: Best insurance for WLS for Federal Employees

As a federal employee, we are currently in our open season for selecting health insurance. I have MDIPA (United Healthcare) now but am willing to change plans. I'm wondering which insurance is better for getting WLS approved.

i'm also interested in a WLS friendly PCP. I've seen some suggestions on the forum so far, and appreciate any assistance. I believe that I need to change PCPs and any suggestions would be helpful.

I have Hashimotos Disease (hypothyroidism) and all my efforts during my life have failed. I've only been in the area for 2.5 years and I'm now ready for a serious weightloss change.

I live in MD, but work in DC, and I'm willing to drive if necessary.

Thanks so much.

mrs_ellis2003
on 11/24/10 12:05 pm
Topic: RE: Surgery at Providence Hospital?
I'm also Dr. Rickford's patient, I am scheduled to have the sleeve next Wednesday. I have visited the office three times and each time that I call or visit Dr. Rickford and his staff are always willing to answer any questions that I have. I chose him because is one of the best bariatric surgeons in the DC Metro area.
freewomyn
on 11/9/10 10:29 pm
Topic: RE: Surgery at Providence Hospital?
I had the biariatric sleeve procedure performed by Dr. Marc Rickford. I met him four times, 1st during the initial presentation of what biriatric surgery was, second for my intial consultation, with weigh in and how many pounds I had to loose.  I met him again the week before my surgery to answer my questions and to change my procedure.  I had planned to have the bypass and now wanted the sleeve.  He patiently answered my questions and had my paperwork resubmitted to the insurance company.  He came around the morning of surgery, noticed how frightened I was and offered encouragement.  A small army of residents and other medical people bombarded me at the hospital and I was dischagred even though I was still throwing up and had not passed gas.  That was a little unsettling but did get the REST I needed at home, now five days out, am not nauseous, still a bit gaseous, or a lot gaseous if I try to lay down.  Cathy Ackers, a nurse on his staff and Providence's Biariartric Coordinator has called me consistently since I've been home. 
Mitchel Krieger
on 11/9/10 12:35 am - Fairfax, VA
Topic: Upcoming Seminar 11/13./2010
I wanted to invite all those interested to my upcoming informational seminar.

Hear the latest information about liposuction and it’s role in body contouring after weight loss. Many myths exist about liposuction and I will attempt to cut through the misinformation and provide an easy to understand explanation of the role of liposuction in body contouring and some of the advantages of each type of procedure currently available, Topics to be covered will include Laser Liposuction, Fat Transplantion for buttock augmentation and the use of harvested fat to perform Stem Cell facelift procedures. This is a seminar you won’t want to miss.

Please link here to register.

http://www.beautyafterweightloss.com/Beauty_After_Weight_Loss/Schedule.html

I look forward to meeting with you all.

Mitchel Krieger, MD
MoLawEd
on 10/12/10 3:20 am - Cambridge, MA
Topic: RE: Bariatric-Friendly PCPs in DC?
Thank you so much! I just scheduled an appointment.  I'm actually excited about it. :)

Thanks again!

Having RNY was probably the best thing I've ever done for myself.

Approx highest weight: ~350. Highest measured weight: 338. Surgery weight: 297. Lowest weight (for 5 minutes): 169. Current weight: 209. Goal weight: ??? - maybe 180-185, which was my maintenance weight before the regain.

yms92
on 10/11/10 8:40 am - DC
Topic: RE: Bariatric-Friendly PCPs in DC?
Hi,

My PCP is Dr. Angela Marshall at Comprehensive Women's Health with offices in Silver Spring & Bowie - www.mdforwomen.com.  She is a very bariatric-friendly internist and she shares office space with a bariatric surgeon.

YMS

Valentine's Day Challenge- 227/221/220

md131s
on 10/8/10 4:15 am
Topic: RE: Frustrated

What type of insurance do you have?

Call your provider or ask your PCP to refer a surgeon locally. I started my WLS journey in October  2009 when I sat in on one of my surgeons seminars. My first consultation was a month later. My surgeon presented me with a laundry list of pre-op work which I am fortunate that he did. This ensured  us both that I had no pre-existing  health issues.

The  whole process took from October 2009 to July 2010. The wait was well worth it because I learned so much about my health and wls. Also I learned so much from the nutritionist that I did not know. Although you've done your research, the surgeon and staff are your best source of information.  And the time goes by so fast. Since you have your mind made up, find a good surgeon, go to the seminar,  schedule first appointment,  sit back and enjoy the ride.

One more thing.. The surgeon that you choose should provide resources that incorporate behavior modification, nutrition and adequate follow-up.

M.

MoLawEd
on 10/7/10 7:45 am - Cambridge, MA
Topic: Bariatric-Friendly PCPs in DC?
Hey folks -

I'm about 18 months out. I just started a new job with a new health plan, and I'm new to the DC area.  I need to find a PCP (internist preferred) who is bariatric-friendly.  Like, I know I don't need their approval now or anything, but I want someone who is familiar with the surgery, will order me regular labs of what I need, won't judge, etc. 

There are a few listed on this site with positive reviews, but none of them are accepting new patients. :-(

I need to fill out this form like, yesterday.  The health insurance company requires that I list a PCP, and our office administrator wants me to turn in the form tomorrow if possible (she doesn't realize I have reason to be a little pickier than most people about PCPs.)

Anyone know of any bariatric-friendly PCP in the area?  I prefer someone based in the District because this is where I live and work, but of course I'm happy to go a little further afield if that's the best I can do.  Maryland is a little more convenient for me than Virginia.

Please help. Thanks!!

Having RNY was probably the best thing I've ever done for myself.

Approx highest weight: ~350. Highest measured weight: 338. Surgery weight: 297. Lowest weight (for 5 minutes): 169. Current weight: 209. Goal weight: ??? - maybe 180-185, which was my maintenance weight before the regain.

Most Active