Best insurance for WLS for Federal Employees

blackchristianswan
on 12/3/10 9:17 am - MD
RNY on 03/19/12

As a federal employee, we are currently in our open season for selecting health insurance. I have MDIPA (United Healthcare) now but am willing to change plans. I'm wondering which insurance is better for getting WLS approved.

i'm also interested in a WLS friendly PCP. I've seen some suggestions on the forum so far, and appreciate any assistance. I believe that I need to change PCPs and any suggestions would be helpful.

I have Hashimotos Disease (hypothyroidism) and all my efforts during my life have failed. I've only been in the area for 2.5 years and I'm now ready for a serious weightloss change.

I live in MD, but work in DC, and I'm willing to drive if necessary.

Thanks so much.

nfarris79
on 5/29/11 10:00 am - Germantown, MD
 Check into BCBS - not sure of the Fed plan but CareFirst approved my RNY in 24hrs! I recommend my PCP to anyone, he's awesome and has 2 offices - one in Silver Spring (Ferrera Ave?) and one in Germantown - Dr. Piyush K Patel. He was the first medical professional to ever support my WLS.

First ultra: Stone Mill 50 miler 11/15/14 13:44:38, First Full Marathon: Marine Corps 10/27/13 4:57:11Half Marathon PR 2:04:43 at Shamrock VA Beach Half-Marathon, 12/2/12 First Half-Marathon 2:32:47, 5K PR  Run Under the Lights 5K 27:23 on 11/23/13, 10K PR 52:53 Pike's Peek 10K 4/21/13(1st timed run) Accumen 8K 51:09 10/14/12.

blackchristianswan
on 5/29/11 11:30 am - MD
RNY on 03/19/12
Thanks so much for the information. I have Carefirst and working with a surgeon at GWU--Dr. Brody. The staff are so great. I'm hoping to have my surgery in Aug or Sept.  We are working on the insurance paperwork and finishing my weight management visits.
Glad to see you are succeeding at weight loss.
thompsonnj
on 6/13/11 10:37 am - Fort Washington, MD
 I also have Blue Choice Care First Federal and was approved in 24 hours.  I switched my PCP to GW and am seeing Dr. Zayn Copeland who is wonderful.  I've also seen Dr. Gabriel Rivera who is excellent too.  I choose Dr. Juliet Lee as my surgeon because a friend had her as her surgeon and she raved about her.  Good Luck.

zphigirl1920
on 12/23/10 9:51 am - Beltsville, MD
Amen.  Blue Cross Blue Shield Standard Option.  I live in Suitland.  You go girl. 
Keep Losing...weight that is!
Tre`Sina

Most Active