To any intersted pre-ops living within driving distance of Baltimore, MD

(deactivated member)
on 6/23/09 6:23 am - Woodbridge, VA
Johns Hopkins in Baltimore is conducting a study to compare the physical and metabolic changes among the different types of WLS procedures. They still need more DSers, VSGers, and Band patients (I do not believe they need more RNY patients at this time).

I am a DS participant in the study, as are a handful of others who post here on OH. I am just about 3 months out and have now seen evidence of improvement in my type 2 diabetes - REAL evidence of an actual metabolic change beyond just finger sticks and A1C readings, which is all I would have to go by otherwise. We also get bone density and body composition scans, among many other tests, so lots of free medical testing that is, IMO, very interesting, and that most of us would not normally get without participating.

Oh, and it is a PAID study - not exactly "quit your day job" kind of bucks, but it more than covers my cost for the gas to drive there and back every few months.

I don't want to post the study coordinator's info here because I don't want her to get spammed, so if you'd like more information, just shoot me a PM and I can put you in touch with her.

And no, I don't get anything out of recruiting or referring new patients - I am just trying to be helpful, and I think studies like these are VERY important!
HealthySister
on 7/18/09 1:47 pm
Jilly, while you're over there with Drs. Schweitzer, Magnuson, Steele, or Lidorcan and the lot would you please convince  one of the surgeons into giving me a DS?  Please, pretty please! 
HealthySister
Wednesday, June 2, 2010, was my BIG DAY!   
My goal weight was reached on
Thursday,
October 14, 2010!                                          

(deactivated member)
on 7/18/09 11:01 pm - Woodbridge, VA

Dr. Schweitzer is the ONLY one there who knows how to do the DS, and he now only does it in 2 steps instead of 1, regardless of BMI (and, depending on the day and who you ask, you'll get different responses as to why he now does this - momst recently, they seem to have been sticking to the same story that they don't want patients under anesthesia long enough for a full DS, which is some BS considering Dr. Schweitzer is one of the FASTEST surgeons in the country when it comes to performing the full DS). Plus, I don't think he likes me very much - I ask too many questions and actually know what the hell I'm talking about, and I don't think he's used to that (or that he likes being challenged or questioned)!

kim R.
on 8/23/09 6:33 am - Gaithersburg, MD
I hope they still need people! Leave it to me to find this a few months late :(
(deactivated member)
on 8/23/09 7:42 am - Woodbridge, VA
They are still looking for pre-op patients!

I sent you a PM  :)
Most Active