Any Feds get VSG approved by their insurers?

Littleway
on 4/3/09 2:36 am
Hi,  I am a federal employee and currently have SAMBA (who uses CIGNA) as my insurance.  I thought I would post on the DC forum since there are probably many feds *****ad these posts.  I am interested in the VSG but I have had trouble getting info from SAMBA on whether they cover VSG or still consider it experimental.  I can switch next year to a new plan if I have a better chance of getting approval or I may just decide to self pay.  Any feds out there who got VSG approved without an appeal with a federal plan? 
pwoods42
on 4/9/09 3:48 am
Hello,

I am currently a Federal employee with BCBS.  I was surprise after my first letter to them I was approved for the VSG.  My surgery date is May 13, 2009. 

Pwoods42 / Pam
Littleway
on 4/9/09 4:23 am

That's great Pam!  Wishing you all the best with your upcoming surgery and WL journey.  I posted a similar question on the VSG forum and per the responses, it seems that federal BCBS covered some of the folks but denied others.  Thinking that maybe it varies based on location and who did the review.  I will probably self pay so I don't have to wait until next year to begin with a new insurer- want to be on the LOOSING SIDE as soon as possible...

Glacier-bear
on 7/13/09 12:04 am
SOOOOO? How did that go for you??
All approved ..You well? BCBS fed come thru?
Let us know
Glacier-bear
on 7/16/09 12:08 am
Hi Pam
Well?? We are all waiting to hear how it went. The other big one was what was your BMI and if it was under 50 was the proceedure paid...I know so many questions
Take care
TJ
(deactivated member)
on 5/21/09 9:10 am
Glacier-bear
on 6/9/09 9:07 am
Your doctor is  who Please...contact number..insurance persons name? And it is vsg correct?
Thanks
Most Active