CALLING ALL GW-HOSPITAL PATIENTS

(deactivated member)
on 3/7/08 10:37 am, edited 3/16/08 3:27 am - NJ

Hey everyone! I am looking into the surgeons at GW Hospital and I wanted to know about your experiences with them. Who was your surgeon, did you like him/her, did you experience any complications and how was the after care? In the very beginning I was considering Dr. Joseph Afram but now I am only interested in the other surgeons; Dr. Paul Lin, Dr. Fred Brody, Dr. Juliet Lee and Dr. Muhammad. I've seen only Dr. Paul Lin and my experience with him and his staff and assistant was a really good one. They listened to me, answered my questions and had a really good sense of humor lol, I find that important for some reason... Oh and I even got called in to see him on time! You know how usually in doctor’s office you have to wait and wait well over your appointment time (at least for me) and that wasn't the case during my consultation. If I had to give him a review just off of the consultation experience, I'd give him 5 stars. My experience with Dr. Joseph Afram was a horrible one and I’d give him a negative 1 star. Sure, he may be good at what he does but he didn’t care to hear a word I had to say. I figured if he didn’t care what I had to say pre-op, then I can only imagine how bad it would be post-op. What if I believed I was experiencing complications? He didn’t listen to my concerns before so why would he listen now? My experience with his office was unfortunately no better so my overall experience with them deserves a two thumbs down.

Biggie Smalls
on 3/12/08 11:10 pm - Chocolate City, DC
wow, I actually love Dr. A and his staff!  My experience with him has been totally different.  He's not a man of many words but anytime I had any questions he was very much willing to answer them as was his staff.  Everything went smoothly for me with the exception of the two weeks before the approval.  There was some confusion between the two psychiatrists and my eval letter but otherwise I've had a wonderful experience.   They were even accomodating when I begged and pleaded for a date one month earlier than originally given.  But you have to do what's best for you as you're putting your life and your future in the hands of the person you select. I've heard nothing but good things about GW's bariatric ward.  I havent been to the required class yet (March 26th) but I'm stoked that they have an entire ward dedicated to this specialty and are requiring you to tour the ward and give  you information on what will happen when you have your surgery.  I will be going in on March 31.  good luck with everything!
I was once a mess!!  My mess is now my message!! WLS saves lives!!  I'm living proof!

(deactivated member)
on 3/16/08 3:26 am - NJ

I actually think their behavior towards me was because I didn’t weigh as much as the other people. I’m apparently considered a light weight so Dr. Afram didn’t care what I had to say and I guess I took offense to that. As soon as I told him my height and weight he tuned me out. I assumed he thought I was lookin for an easy way out or wanted WLS for cosmetic reasons but he didn’t give me the time of day to tell him how sick I was. How many medications I was on and that my doctor felt that it was necessary. My dad had Dr. Afram and looks great, lost all his weight and had no complications so far. He’s a year out. I’m glad your experience was good, I guess I’ll just take my experience with a grain of salt and move on.

niknac0701
on 3/26/08 6:28 am - Rville, MD
I had my surgery done by Dr Afram and I think he is a very skilled dr.  That and only that was my concern.  His bedside manner, not fabulous, but he always answered my questions and his staff is and was very, very considerate and accomodating.  So all experiences are obviously different.  It just matters what you find to be important.  As far as GW Hospital.  IT SUCKS.  However, MOST of the nursing staff are good people.  The room itself left much to be desired.  It smelled of urine and my husband had to ***** people out to get it cleaned before I came in.  They did however let my husband sleep over both nights despite the rules.  So that was nice.   Overall I've lost 135 pounds and I'm 79 weeks out.  I feel great and haven't had ONE complication. Good luck in whatever choice you make!
shoppingsarah
on 3/13/08 3:04 pm - Los Angeles, CA
RNY on 03/08/12
I also looked at GW, but heard not great things about the after care. Other then DR. A, the doctors are all part of the medical faculty associates. Though they are very skilled and excellent doctors, the practice (MFA) is awful. Rarely ontime, and truthfully a pain in the ass to deal with all around.  I went to Sibley instead and had my surgery with DR. Brian Long. He was amazing. You should definately consider it.
(deactivated member)
on 3/16/08 3:16 am - NJ
Hmmm.. I hope this question isn't as dumb as I think it is... but where is Sibley?
Most Active