Self-Pay OPtions w/Dr. Afram

CollieMac
on 7/21/07 12:25 pm - Lanham, MD
Hello- Does anyone have information on self-pay options?  I am strongly considering Dr. Joseph Afram but am currently having insurance difficulties.  Any general information as to financing, payment options, etc. would be appreciated as well.  Has anyone had to self-pay with him or any other local surgeon for that matter?  How was your experience?  Any and all input is greatly appreciated.  Thanks in advance. -CollieMac
I WANNA BE AN "AFTER"
swanie76
on 8/1/07 12:01 am
I dont know my insurance covered mines.I did have it at gwuh Dr Paul Lin.Call dr afram office they should know or be able to lead you the right direction.Good luck

WLS 1/19/07
preop/current/drgoal/mygoal/ideal wt 
320/240/220/180/155 

Ticker 88396

sunshinek
on 10/26/07 5:47 am - wahington, DC
Hi Im new I suppose to have sugery in December 07 did you have lap band or gastric ?
SalinaGranny
on 8/1/07 10:18 am
Dr. Afram is all about the money.  If they can't get your insurance to approve the surgery, they will help you with self-pay options.  He seems to be a good surgeon but his aftercare stinks.  You might want to do more research and check out other programs before you commit to him.  It's not easy to change WSL programs after the surgery is done. Good luck whatever you decide.
fiesta76
on 8/20/07 9:25 pm - alexandria, VA
I agree, I had my surgery on 05/15/07 and Dr. Afram is excellent at what he does, but the after care stinks.  1st there are the group session at 12pm every Wed., I don't know about others, but I work, and trying to get to that part of DC w/ no parking isn't an option for me.  Also In the early weeks following my surgery I had questions and there was no nurse there in the office that I could call and speak to.....that was the most frustrating part of it.
norbatl1
on 7/29/08 6:29 am - washington, DC
I was not aware of that. My surgery is on 08-19-08.They assured me that they would be there every step of the way. The staff talked about how they would come and visit you in the hospital, and the whole nine yards. Anyone else out there with some more insight please post your comments, I'm very much interested in your thoughts.
swanie76
on 8/13/07 5:02 am
I agree I worked at the hospital before my wls and did not like some things about his post op care either at this time i still work at gw just at the clinic.What insurance do you have

WLS 1/19/07
preop/current/drgoal/mygoal/ideal wt 
320/240/220/180/155 

Ticker 88396

DianeM123456
on 10/26/07 10:53 am
Hi I was a self pay.  I went to John Hopkins Bayview, in Baltimore, Md.  My surgeon was Thomas Magnuson he was wonderful.  I had no complications and a friend had him also with NO PROBLEMS.  I read the messageboard and see all kinds of problems and issues.  Pre op you do nothing to prepare for the operation.  I was in the hospital 3 days.  I would highly recommend him...
(deactivated member)
on 12/18/07 3:43 am - Leesburg, VA
VSG on 05/03/11 with
I just made an appointment to go see Dr swietzer up at johns hopkins.  If you don't mind me asking what did you pay?
DianeM123456
on 12/18/07 7:30 am

I can not find all my paper work but figured it was around  18,000.00 for the hospital 5000.00 for Dr. Magnuson and 3000.00 for the anesthesiologist.  I did receive a refund from the hospital for 1600.00. Dr. Magnuson is wonderful he insists on taking your gallblatter at the same time.  He feels in time you will have problems with it.   I have not had ANY problems at all.  Good luck in your new journey.

Most Active