Celebration on the Hill 2006

Debra H.
on 9/16/06 1:19 am - Camden, NY
Hi all, Celebration on the Hill 2006 is an American Cancer Society Cancer Action Network event celebrating cancer survivorship and empowering survivors and others to advocate for laws that will help fight the disease. On September 19-20, 2006, nearly 4,000 American Cancer Society "Celebration Ambassadors" will gather in Washington, DC for Celebration on the Hill 2006--a unique event that will show our country's lawmakers how the American Cancer Society is waging the fight against cancer in communities nationwide. I was chosen as an Ambassador last year, and as an advocate I am personally sending a message to our government that now is not the time to cut funding for cancer research. 4,000 Celebration Ambassadors will represent every state and every congressional district in the country; 5,000 American Cancer Society Wall of Hope banners will represent every Relay For Life event in the nation; and the 3 million signatures on those banners will represent every American ever touched by cancer. The American Cancer Society's Relay For Life Wall of Hope will be the largest temporary monument ever constructed in our nation's capital. Remembering those lost to cancer, those still fighting and those who have survived the battle, the monument will speak most loudly to our hope that a cure is close at hand. While survivors and volunteers gather in Washington D.C., hundreds of thousands more, inspired by the effort, will participate and celebrate at home making Celebration on the Hill a truly national event and a historic marker in our nation's war on cancer. You can join Celebration at home by clicking this link and seeing what you can do that day at home http://www.celebrationonthehill.org/celebrationonthehomefront.asp. I am proud to be a part of this awesome event and hope that you will take a part in it as well. If you live in or around Washington plan to come down to the National Mall at 7:00 pm on the 20th for the Luminaria ceremony. If you've ever been to a Relay For Life in your community you know what an awesome experience this is...just image it on a national level. You can also learn more about Celebration on the Hill at www.celebrationonthehill.org. and If you would like to get involved with the Cancer Action Network check out www.acscan.org. Thanks and I'll be sure to send everyone a link to my photos from Celebration when it's done. All my best, Debra
Most Active