Recent Posts

Patricia R.
on 6/7/12 12:22 pm - Perry, MI
Topic: RE: James 4:15
I used to whine and complain when things happened that were totally out of my control, like the health issues that have cropped up in the past five years.  I learned to apply Romans 8:28 to them.  My mentor always tried to have me seek God's lesson in my trials.  She'd say, "What is God trying to show you in this situation?"  So, I learned to look for God's message, and also to praise Him during the problem, not after it was resolved.  Praising Him, helped me heal, because I trusted Him with my care.

I hope that makes sense.

Hugs,
Trish

Seek always to do some good, somewhere. Every man has to seek in his own way to realize his true worth. You must give some time to your fellow man. For remember, you don't live in a world all your own. Your brothers are here too.
Albert Schweitzer

Hislady
on 6/7/12 6:21 am - Vancouver, WA
Topic: James 4:15
Instead you ought to say,"If the Lord wills, we shall live and do this or that." We can make all the plans we want but if they aren't God's will they most likely won't turn out the best. Also God can allow uncontrollable or unexpected events to happen to test our faithfulness. However if we seek God's will we can see even the most undesirable events as good things. First we must trust asnd rely on God and God alone for direction in our lives. If we do that we can trust that the right thing will end up happening. So when times get tough remember to look up to our Father for His guidance. "We may not know what the future holds, but we can trust the One who holds the future."

God bless!
Karen
Hislady
on 6/6/12 1:30 pm - Vancouver, WA
Topic: RE: Revelation 21:3
I was thinking of you when I saw the subject today. I only met my paternal grandfather once and his wife had died when my dad was young so never knew her. My mom's only brother died when he was in high school so I never knew him either, but I did hear the stories and tales about all of them so it was "almost" like knowing them. I really believe God only takes folks young to spare them of suffering that only He knows is coming. It could be that the men in your family would have suffered long term from some worse disease and then your kids would only have memories of them suffering. I think it's normal to feel cheated however all we can do is trust that God does everything for a reason even if we don't understand what it is. I pray with God's love you will be able to come to a peaceful place with this. Love ya!
Patricia R.
on 6/6/12 10:09 am - Perry, MI
Topic: RE: Revelation 21:3
I try to comfort myself with the knowledge that my loved ones are in heaven with Jesus, but I have to confess, I feel like my family was robbed.  My Dad died at age 51.  My daughter met his when she was an infant, but did not get to know him, neither did any of my kids.  My brothers were 40 and 56 when they died.  My mother had to bury both of her sons.  I know plenty of people who live evil lives that survive life threatening illnesses.  Both of my brothers died of pulmonary emboli.  My grandchildren won't grow up knowing them, and experiencing their wonderful love of humor, and how they used to spoil kids.  So, I'm not at the place where I can find comfort in their deaths yet.  I miss them terribly.  They were too young to be taken.
Seek always to do some good, somewhere. Every man has to seek in his own way to realize his true worth. You must give some time to your fellow man. For remember, you don't live in a world all your own. Your brothers are here too.
Albert Schweitzer

Hislady
on 6/6/12 8:26 am - Vancouver, WA
Topic: Revelation 21:3

"God Himself will be with them and be their God." So often we feel sadness for the loss of our loved ones when we should really be happy for them, the sadness is our feeling, they however are basking in God's love. Instead of feeling sad when something reminds us of our departed loved ones we should see it as a chance to share their joy at being in Heaven. I know everytime I make my mom's potato salad I can't help but think of her and miss her, but I also know that she was a believer so she is happy and pain free at last with her Savior. How can I begrudge her that joy by being sad. So when we start to feel sad and at a loss when thinking of our loved ones let's try to remember that they are in eternal bliss and have not a worry in the universe. It helps me to think that way when I look at their death anniversary as "graduation day", they've graduated to the best place in the whole of eternity. They are blessed and sitting at the throne of Almighty God. "The pleasures of earth cannot be compared to the joys of heaven!"

God bless!
Karen

Hislady
on 6/5/12 1:25 pm - Vancouver, WA
Topic: RE: Psalm 19:13
I understand that, my addiction was cigarettes, I smoked for over 30 years and then developed COPD. I had no choice but quit if I was gonna have any kind of life. It was the hardest thing I ever did and it took several tries before I finally succeeded and I know to this day if I should take one drag I'd no doubt be right back to square one. Fortunately my COPD reminds me daily that I don't dare take that puff or I really won't be able to breath. But that temptation still rears it's ugly head now and then. The longer I stay smoke free the easier it is most of the time, but every once in awhile I'll get a whiff of someone elses smoke and that little voice says "Oh you could smoke just one!" NO I can't. It's not easy tho, I imagine we all have our own weaknesses. We just have to remember God is there to help us "Just say no."
Patricia R.
on 6/5/12 8:55 am - Perry, MI
Topic: RE: Psalm 19:13
 Hi Karen,
This topic reminds me of my last relapse with alcohol.  I had over six years aobriety, and went into the liquor store to buy a Christnas present for Mom's friend.  On a whim, I bought myself a bottle, and honestly thought "I can go right back to AA, and pick up where I left off with my sobriety."  Boy, was I wrong.  From that day in December of 2007, till I was in a rehab in January 2010, I was obsessed with drinking and getting drunk.  Like the Lay's Potato Chip ad, I couldn't have just one.  

Thanks.

Hugs,
Trish

Albert Schweitzer

Hislady
on 6/5/12 7:13 am - Vancouver, WA
Topic: Psalm 19:13
"Keep back Your servant also from presumptuous sins." Oh how often are we tempted to do something "just this once". Take a peek at something we shouldn't, borrowing money that isn't ours to borrow or maybe stretching the truth just alittle seems like a small thing. However it leads to bigger things and their consequences. We "get away" with something small and then are tempted to go to bigger and worse things. Well big or small sin is sin in God's eyes. To Him it doesn't matter if it is a tiny white lie or premeditated murder it is all sin. Remember "Temptation will knock at your door; don't ask them to stay for dinner."

God bless!
Karen
Patricia R.
on 6/5/12 1:55 am - Perry, MI
Topic: RE: Jonah 4:4
Hi Karen,
I used to be a Sunday only Christian.  I looked good on the outside, and played the part perfectly.  BUT< when I got in the car to go home, I was a royal B**** to my husband and kids.  Finding the church I am in now helped me become more authentic.  But, most importantly, working with the therapist I've been with since 1989, AND, being mentored by the most loving, genuine sister in Christ, really helped me integrate all of the aspects of my personality. Both my therapist and my mentor helped me see just how Big our God is, and how powerful as well. In doing that, I am not the same person at church   What also helped me as the 12 Steps of AA.

Thanks for posting this.

Hugs,
Trish

Albert Schweitzer

Patricia R.
on 6/5/12 1:23 am - Perry, MI
Topic: RE: Prayer asnswered!
Hi Barb,
So good to see you posting here.  Please don't be a stranger.

My sister got the band, but does not follow the guidelines for diet, and she does zero exercise.  She also has a sit-down job.  I actually believe she has gained weight since her band surgery two years ago.  She had to switch surgeons, because hers left the hospital he was at to transfer to another hospital.  I suggested my surgeon, who is at a specialty hospital that only does Bariatric Surgery.  For some reason, she refuses to consider it.

I appreciate what you said about taking care of my tool.  I need to rethink my tool, and baby it more.  

Again, welcome.

Hugs,
Trish

Albert Schweitzer

Most Active