Recent Posts

Hislady
on 7/4/12 5:42 am - Vancouver, WA
Topic: RE: Independence Day Devotion by Dr. Charles Stanley
Excellent post Trish! It's so easy to get side tracked with everyday life and forget what our real calling is. Thanks for sharing!
Patricia R.
on 7/3/12 10:19 pm - Perry, MI
Topic: RE: Independence Day Devotion by Dr. Charles Stanley
I used to be so self-absorbed, I was disgusting.  But, when I came to AA, I learned the importance of helping others.  The 12th Step of AA is "Having had a Spiritual awakening as a result of these steps we try to carry this message to other alcoholics, and practice these principles in all our affairs."  Bill Wilson, a Christian, learned that he could not stay sober unless he helped another alcoholic who was still suffering.  Scripture says, "Freely you have received, freely give."  

From personal experience, I do not truly appreciate the freedom I have from my sinful ways until I have helped others in some small way.  I do volunteer work with our church's food pantry, homeless ministry and helping women in any way I can.  In AA, I also help by encouraging other women.  Until recently, I mentored a woman who not only was a baby Christian, but also suffered from addiction and some mental health issues as me.  

Whatever you do, do all for the glory of God.  What is the Lord wanting to do for others through you?  Please share with us.  Learning about God, through His Word, gives me the strength to do things I never would have thought of 25 years ago,

Hugs,
Trish

Seek always to do some good, somewhere. Every man has to seek in his own way to realize his true worth. You must give some time to your fellow man. For remember, you don't live in a world all your own. Your brothers are here too.
Albert Schweitzer

Patricia R.
on 7/3/12 9:57 pm - Perry, MI
Topic: Independence Day Devotion by Dr. Charles Stanley
 July 4

Leaving a Lasting Impact

Matthew 5:13-16

On this Independence Day, consider the question, How do you use the gift of freedom? God gives all believers true liberty through His Son Jesus Christ. Do you squander that blessing or share it with others? The problem is, some people are so focused on their own needs and desires that they fail to impact even their closest neighbor.

Think about the people you see every week. Do you know how many of your neighbors are sick? Are there people in your church who struggle to make it from day to day? Do you know if any of your coworkers are going through hardships? Most likely, there are individuals all around you who could use assistance. But being self-focused limits our ability to notice those people, let alone reach out to them.

Jesus taught His disciples, “You are the salt of the earth; but if the salt has become tasteless, how can it be made salty again? It is no longer good for anything, except to be thrown out and trampled under foot by men" (Matt. 5:13). In order for salt to remain useful, it must maintain its purity and potency. Likewise, we must endeavor to lead holy, humble, and loving lives, focusingon the Savior’s will rather than our own.

God has prepared the good works that we are to walk in (Eph. 2:10). Our job is to choose to do so.

Whether or not we affect our world positively depends on the focus of our heart. Do you look inward to consider how you can do more to get ahead and add to your lot in life? Or do you look outward and think about ways that you can do more to serve others? 

Seek always to do some good, somewhere. Every man has to seek in his own way to realize his true worth. You must give some time to your fellow man. For remember, you don't live in a world all your own. Your brothers are here too.
Albert Schweitzer

Patricia R.
on 7/3/12 9:47 pm - Perry, MI
Topic: RE: Just need a friend
God bless you, Evie.  So glad you posted.  Tell us about yourself.  We have a couple of regular posters, and a lot of lurkers.  We pray for one another.  

Hugs,
Trish

Albert Schweitzer

Eula "Evie" R.
on 7/2/12 10:00 pm - Mount Nebo, WV
Thank you, You are a special person to me. TY
God Bless
Evie

Hislady
on 7/2/12 2:48 pm - Vancouver, WA
So glad you found us Evie!! You have our prayers for sure and we look forward to sharing with you. God knows what your needs are and He will channel our prayer where it is needed. God bless and know we are here for you!
Eula "Evie" R.
on 7/2/12 12:10 pm - Mount Nebo, WV
Topic: Just need a friend
Hi all,
I just want to say hi for now and Thank God for this site and planning on talking to you all more. Right now I just need your prayers.

God Bless
Evie

Hislady
on 7/2/12 5:08 am - Vancouver, WA
Topic: RE: Sorting things out
Sounds like you are handling it well and wisely. It's good to write it all down and pray about it first. Being a mentor is tough, thankless work. You can't help someone that won't accept reponsibility for their actions. Try not to take it personally, you can't save everyone. Hugs!
Patricia R.
on 7/1/12 2:53 pm - Perry, MI
Topic: Sorting things out
Hi Everyone,
This is probably going to be a long one.  I think I figured out what has been bothering me lately.  

I had mentioned some time ago that I had been mentoring a troubled baby Christian who had a bad drug addiction, and also had similar mental health issues to mine.  I can't remember if I had shared that she cut me out of her life rather abruptly several weeks ago, because I had been rebuking her for her behavior in her marriage, and made it clear I did not want to hear her complain about her family, especially because she is the main reason they treat her the way they do.

I had been mentoring her for about a year, when I realized that I had not been thoroughly honest with her, and that in not being honest with her, I was enabling her.  That was why I had started being more blunt in rebuking her.  Of course, instead of discussing her problem with me in a conversation, she blocked both of my phone numbers, cutting me out of her life completely.

I have had a ton of mixed emotions about this whole thing.  So, I typed a letter that I may, or may not send to her.  Doing so allowed me to identify all of my emotions and put them out on the screen for me to see.  I also wrote to my mentor, and shared some of my feelings, because I have mixed emotions about this whole thing.  I feel like a failure as a mentor.  I feel guilty, because I am relieved I don't have her calling me all day, everyday.  I am also angry that Maria shut me out of her life without taling to me first.  I feel used, because I put up with multiple phone calls a day, every single day, except when I was in Michigan.  I feel used, because I willingly drove her to numerous appointments, pharmacies, MRIs and she continued to be noncompliant about her medication regimen for her seizure disorder.  I am angry that I put myself out there completely, and it seems as if it was all for naught.

Well, I am going spend a few days rereading the letter, and then pray about whether or not to send it.

Thanks for being here.

Hugs,
Trish

Albert Schweitzer

Hislady
on 6/28/12 8:24 am - Vancouver, WA
Topic: RE: Been out of sorts
Sounds like a good plan, when you can't quite figure things out, turn to God! It can only help. It's hard when we know we hurt someone but all we can do is apologize and try to do better. Hope things get better soon and remember to take it easy you just had surgery.
Most Active