Recent Posts

Patricia R.
on 7/24/12 9:30 pm - Perry, MI
Topic: Dr. Stanley Devotional for July 25

July 25

A Heart for God

Acts 13:16-22

King David made several big mistakes in his life. Yet he was called a man after God's own heart and was mightily used by the Lord to lead the Israelites. What set him apart was the priority he placed on his relationship with the heavenly Father.

David delighted in knowing God and sought Him earnestly. Writing, "My soul thirsts for You, my flesh yearns for You in a dry and weary land," he declared that God's love was better than life and pledged to praise Him all his days (Ps. 63:1, 3-4).

David viewed the world from a God-centered perspective. He marveled at the Lord's creative power in the world, relied on Him for protection and strength, and proclaimed allegiance in his writings. He also prayed fervently and frequently, lifting requests in the morning and expectantly awaiting a response (Ps. 5:3). At night he'd continue communing with God (Ps. 63:6).

Both actions--praying and meditating on God's character--fueled his trust in the Lord. His faith sustained him throughout life: when he was a shepherd boy protecting sheep from attacks by wild animals, a young man defeating the giant Goliath, and the nation's anointed leader escaping King Saul's murderous plans. Whatever his cir****tances, he sought the Lord and gave priority to their relationship.

The Psalms record David's desire to know God and be known by Him. He sought the Lord's guidance through prayer and had a heart for Him. Jesus invites us to draw near and spend our time learning from Him (Matt. 11:28-29). Have you made following Christ the priority of your life?

Seek always to do some good, somewhere. Every man has to seek in his own way to realize his true worth. You must give some time to your fellow man. For remember, you don't live in a world all your own. Your brothers are here too.
Albert Schweitzer

Patricia R.
on 7/24/12 1:01 pm - Perry, MI
Topic: RE: Psalm 92:14
 Yes, there are still many things we can do for the Lord in spite of our age.  While I am not old, according to my kids and me, I am unable to do a lot of things due to health reasons.  Right now, I do volunteer work a few afternoons a week, at an agency that helps alcoholics and addicts get clean and sober.  In a couple of weeks, I'll be helping with my church's food bank.  We have had one at our church campus for years.  Now, we are opening up a second on here, in the town I now live in, at the church I used to attend.  While I am only assigned to help once a month, I plan to go over every Tuesday night.  
Seek always to do some good, somewhere. Every man has to seek in his own way to realize his true worth. You must give some time to your fellow man. For remember, you don't live in a world all your own. Your brothers are here too.
Albert Schweitzer

Hislady
on 7/24/12 7:12 am - Vancouver, WA
Topic: Psalm 92:14

"They shall still bear fruit in old age; they shall be fresh and flourishing."  I know many days I'm not really excited about getting older and look at it negatively because I can't do so many things I used to. I used to be so active in my church and now I can barely walk to the front door there. I sometimnes allow satan to assault me with that until I remember things like this statement in Psalms. Just because we are aging doesn't mean we are useless to God anymore. We have merely moved to a different use. When we are young we can be active and involved with things that need strength and stamina.

When we get older we should be showing the younger folks what they can prepare for as they age. We can show them how to behave and how to still be useful as they take their turn aging. There are still many things we can do not the least of which is prayer, we have the time and experience to be able to spend a great deal of time in prayer. We can share our knowledge of how to effectively get things done. Myself I knit and crochet, I make prayer shawls, hats for kids at Christmas, blankets for anyone who needs a good snuggle.

God has a use for us at every stag of our lives, we are never useless to Him. If we open ourselves to His will He will guide into what He wants us to do and will equip us to do it.

God bless!
Karen

Patricia R.
on 7/23/12 8:03 am - Perry, MI
Topic: RE: One more time
Hi there,
I was away when the news broke of the massacre in Colorado.  My heart broke at the news, especially for the family members of all involved, especially the parents of that precious six year old little angel.

In AA, I hears someone say, "Not forgiving someone is like taking poison and expecting the other person to die."  I've also heard that forgiving someone sets the forgiver free from the bitterness that damages ourselves.

I remember when both of my brothers died at 40 and 56 years old, about 16 months apart, saying over and over, "God is soverign, and He is in control."  It hurts, and we grieve and mourn.  But, while I do not know the spiritual condition of the deceased in Aurora, I know for a fact that both of my brothers put their faith in Christ for their salvation.  So, as heartbroken as I was, I also rejoiced that their physical and emotional pain was gone, and they were dancing in heaven.

Hugs,
Trish

Albert Schweitzer

Hislady
on 7/23/12 5:58 am - Vancouver, WA
Topic: One more time
OK I'm gonna try posting a daily scripture again now that my regular computer is fixed and I even have a spare now, thanks to hubby.

John 16:33 In the world you will have tribulation; but be of good cheer, I have overcome the world.

This couldn't have come at a better time considering the events in Colorado this weekend. That was indeed a time of tribulation and still is, but what I noticed in the people who I saw interviewed on the news was the difference in reactions. Some were totally hopeless that life coulkd ever be good again. The Christians had not only hope and a peace but most of all forgiveness for the gunman. I honestly don't know if I could be that generous myself. Some were also saying right at this minute I can't forgive him but I'm sure at some point I will, not for him but for themselves, so that they could live on in peace. What a testimony that is for our God and the life He gives us! "In the midst of troubles, peace can be found in Jesus!"

God bless!
Karen
Patricia R.
on 7/22/12 10:56 am - Perry, MI
Topic: RE: SO GLAD YOU'RE HERE!
I prayed about it, and asked God to open doors, or close them, according to His will.  The doors opened so rapidly, and I went from first consult to surgery date in exactly three months.  I researched and went to support groups enough to get the information I needed.  I had perfect peace going into my surgery the day of.  My mother and sister were clearly anxious.  I was cool as a cucumber.

Trust the Lord to guide you as you prepare to have the surgery.  He'll make His will clear for you.

Hugs,
Trish

Albert Schweitzer

shoutjoy
on 7/21/12 7:48 pm - Culpeper, VA
Hi Kerry,

Yes, I went through the same thoughts.  However, after so many teary nights and long prayers for deliverance from the stronghold of obesity, I decided, yes this was right for me.  It took about a year or so to have peace about it. If you feel a peace, then you are probably doing right. 

Clueless about weight loss and weight loss surgery of any kind.

starry957
on 7/21/12 2:05 pm
I hear you....and that's why I continue to proceed until I get a closed door or a giant red flag.  God knows me and knows that, at this point, that would be what would be necessary for me to discontinue.  I am interested in how people have reconciled their faith with this type of surgery....the word "self-control" always runs through my mind and that I should have it (with God's help of course), I bounce back and forth with how I think about it all the time.........

January 8th, 2013 - VSG with Dr Paul Sullivan (St Joe's Toronto)

Hislady
on 7/21/12 1:43 pm - Vancouver, WA
Welcome Kerry! I would venture to guess everyone of us goes thru that and you know what I finally came to realize? That the doubt was coming from satan not from God. God loves us and wants us healthy and happy. He also understands that not all of us can do it without help of some kind,in  fact most of us can't. I believe God helped humans come up with these surgeries so we could get the help we need. God wants us to be our best, satan however wants us to stay right where we are, unable to get around or spread God's word because we are so limited in what we can do! I know many, many, many Christian men and women who have gotten their surgery of choice and done wonderful with it. Granted it's merely a tool but if you follow the rules and work your surgery you can get healthy and help to spread God's word more than ever before. So don't let satan fool you, he is the one behind the doubt. So you go for it and get that surgery and show him who's boss!!!!
starry957
on 7/21/12 9:59 am
Topic: SO GLAD YOU'RE HERE!
I finally thought to look under this section and so glad I did!  I wanted to throw out a general question to everyone, hoping for some feedback.
Even though I am proceeding with this journey and praying all the way along, I still get the odd feeling here and there that "maybe"? this isn't what God would intend - meaning for people to cut/reroute, etc their insides.....I struggle with it a little in terms of how God views it and if it is "okay" to go ahead with this.

Anyone else struggle with this?  Any thoughts?

Thanks, and nice to meet you!
Kerry

January 8th, 2013 - VSG with Dr Paul Sullivan (St Joe's Toronto)

Most Active