Recent Posts

Hislady
on 8/10/12 10:50 pm - Vancouver, WA
Topic: RE: Isaiah 40:1

So very true, she's gotten involved in a group that helps teen suicides and trying to prevent them. I think we each get our own trials to steer us where God can use us too. When we are going thru it,it is sure hard to remember it is for a reason tho!

Patricia R.
on 8/9/12 7:51 pm - Perry, MI
Topic: RE: Isaiah 40:1
Hi Karen,
I believe that God allows our trials so that we develop the very traits that your granddaughter possesses.  Somewhere in the New Testament is a verse that says we go through certain trials in order to minister to others who go through similar trials.  I can't help someone very well unless I have had a similar trial in my past.  Which tells me that God expects me to minister to a variety of people, because of the variety of things I've been through in my life.

Hugs,
Trish

Seek always to do some good, somewhere. Every man has to seek in his own way to realize his true worth. You must give some time to your fellow man. For remember, you don't live in a world all your own. Your brothers are here too.
Albert Schweitzer

Hislady
on 8/9/12 4:16 pm - Vancouver, WA
Topic: Isaiah 40:1
"Comfort, yes comfort My people!" When we accept Christ as our personal Savior we are given the Holy Spirit who is sent to comfort us. When times are rough and we face troubles or are captured by cir****tances beyond our control, we have only to look to our comforter, He is there at all times. He can help us find the silver lining in our cloud. He can give us strength to face what we must even when we don't want to have to do it. My grand daughter found her daughters daddy dead from a self inflicted shot gun blast. Of course she went thru all the trauma that that implies, however she is a Christian girl and leaned on God for a very long time just to be able to get up every day after that. We all thank God that she was, because she has come thru with a compassion and understanding that many never get. She had a very difficult time for awhile but she always kept her eye on God and the Holy Spirit to get her thru. Hopefully we as adults will remember to do the same.

God bless!
Karen
Patricia R.
on 8/8/12 11:37 am - Perry, MI
Topic: RE: Phillipians 2:3
 Hi Karen,
When I was married, my husband had trouble esteeming anyone better than himself.  He was highly intelligent, and extremely arrogant.  He also had zero empathy for me with my mental health issues.  I really struggled with that during our marriage.  My low self-esteem next to his arrogance were not a pretty combination.  

The thing that I am still amazed by is my sons, especially Chris in New York.  Both my sons' IQs are extremely high, and my older son has a Master of Fine Arts in Acting.  Yet, he is so humble, and kind to people no matter who they are.  He does not take after his father at all.  The difference is night and day.

Another good topic.

Hugs,
Trish

Seek always to do some good, somewhere. Every man has to seek in his own way to realize his true worth. You must give some time to your fellow man. For remember, you don't live in a world all your own. Your brothers are here too.
Albert Schweitzer

Hislady
on 8/8/12 9:33 am - Vancouver, WA
Topic: Phillipians 2:3
"In lowliness of mind let each esteem others better than himself." This goes along with the subject of yesterdays poster who pointed out that so many self professed Christians don't show what Christ taught us. We are to be known as Christians by how we treat others, by the compassion and love we show others. One thing many forget is to hate the sin not the sinner! We don't have to agree with a person's political beliefs or moral beliefs but we are to love them even if we don't agree. We need to learn to separate the sin from the sinner and show the person love and compassion no matter their beliefs. This is what shows we are true Christains. So when you see someone who has a problem or is sad and needs a hug, go for it regardless of who or what they are!

God bless!
Karen
Hislady
on 8/8/12 9:22 am - Vancouver, WA
Topic: RE: Psalm 19: 1
Oh yeah it just irk me when religions tell people they have to earn salvaion or forgiveness. God himself tells us it is a FREE gift, no strings attatched.
Hislady
on 8/8/12 9:20 am - Vancouver, WA
Topic: RE: 1 Thessalinians 4: 17-18
Ah I too was an arguer, I preferred to call it debating but yep I could argue with the best of them!
Hislady
on 8/8/12 9:17 am - Vancouver, WA
Topic: RE: where is everyone?
I just posted my belief on this on another forum yesterday as a sister was doubting because of the same sentiments you are facing. I absolutely believe God is the one who put the knowledge and skills in man's hands to help us with our weight because He above all others knows the trouble we have with using will power only. It just doesn't work because most of us have the disease of addiction and just like cancer we use what God has made available to heal us. I do believe
God helps those who help themselves and we can't just sit still and expect God to do all the work, but He will direct us where He wants us to be.

This has been a fairly slow board for several years but if we keep sharing the word I believe God will bring folks here, maybe only one at a time and some will always be lurkers but that's ok as long as they visit.
starry957
on 8/7/12 11:13 pm

Thanks so much everyone for your replies!  I come from a large extended family and most of them are Christians.  Most of them seem supportive of this surgery but there are a few that make me doubt my decision - one said "just do the post-op diet without getting the surgery"....which I guess makes sense in a way, but that person has never had a significant weight issue.  I'm moving forward and I've left the process in God's hands.  He knows me and I know I'll get a giant red flag or stop sign if and when He wants me to stop.  At least, that's how I'm viewing it.

Kerry

January 8th, 2013 - VSG with Dr Paul Sullivan (St Joe's Toronto)

Patricia R.
on 8/7/12 10:36 pm - Perry, MI
 Hi there,
I totally agree with you about the public face of Christianity in America.  I often find myself apologizing to acquaintances who find out I am a believer.  But, I am not shy or quiet about my faith in Christ on OH or social media.  I believe God wants me to be salt and light for everyone, unbelievers as well as the hate-filled Christians who lack the love necessary to reflect our Lord's love and forgiveness.

Please don't be a stranger.  We need you as much as you might need us.  

Hugs,
Trish

Albert Schweitzer

Most Active