Recent Posts

Patricia R.
on 9/18/12 12:57 pm - Perry, MI
Topic: Please pray
Hi there,
I would appreciate prayer.  As most of you know, I am a member of AA.  Part of the AA program involves working the 12 Steps, preferably with a sponsor.  Today, I was asked if I would sponsor a woman who is new to recovery.  I don't know her spiritual condition, other than that she says she believes in God.  Please pray that I have opportunities to share my faith with her, as the 2nd and 3rd Steps discuss a relationship with God.  The key to AA is relationships in order to develop a healthy support network.  I am honored that she would ask me.  This will be totally different than what I was doing working with the woman who is a believer.

Thanks,
Trish 
Seek always to do some good, somewhere. Every man has to seek in his own way to realize his true worth. You must give some time to your fellow man. For remember, you don't live in a world all your own. Your brothers are here too.
Albert Schweitzer

Patricia R.
on 9/13/12 4:41 pm - Perry, MI
Topic: RE: Psalm 16:2
God's goodness is everlasting.  It never changes, and for that I am grateful.  There have been days when I start to doubt, especially during personal or national tragedies.  Those were the days when I must repeatedly tell myself that God is sovereign.  I would also remind myself of Romans 8:28-29.  All things work together for good, not my good, but God's good.

Good verse.

Hugs,
Trish

Seek always to do some good, somewhere. Every man has to seek in his own way to realize his true worth. You must give some time to your fellow man. For remember, you don't live in a world all your own. Your brothers are here too.
Albert Schweitzer

Hislady
on 9/12/12 8:32 pm - Vancouver, WA
Topic: Psalm 16:2
"You are my Lord, my gooddness is nothing apart from you." There are so many things in our lives that are good, wonderful even. We have family, friends, busy lives and don't even let me start on food! Is there anything better than a yummy bite of ice cream or an ooey gooey chocolate chip cookie? Well take that and multiply by a billion and you still fall short of the goodness of God. His goodness is always there, it never fades or wans, it isn't dependant on our actions or inactions, it just IS! If we want to spend some excellent time we can merely take time to bask in His goodness by reading His word. God is soooo good all the time, all the time God is good!

God bless!
Karen
Hislady
on 9/12/12 7:30 pm - Vancouver, WA
Topic: RE: 3 John 1:11
I remember watching hours of tv trying to grasp what I was seeing and waiting for someone to say it was a simulation or a bad movie anything but truth but of course it never came. Even here on the west coast people lost family and friends in the tragedy so it truely had a national and international effect. I never cried then but for the first time the other day I did, I don't know why it took so long but it waas like the reslity finally after all these year**** home.
Oh I pray for my kids, grand kids and great grands aall the time and like you say it sure beats sleepless nights ans stress. There is usually nothing or very little I can do to change whatever it is so I figure God can handle it better anyway! It is soooo important tho to pray for them.
Patricia R.
on 9/12/12 2:48 pm - Perry, MI
Topic: RE: 3 John 1:11
Hi Karen,
I've been around, just haven't been in a good place to post a reply.  

September 11, 2001:  I was teaching fifth grade in Philadelphia.  I got an urgent call from my ex pretty soon after the news of the tragedy got to me in the classroom.  He had been in Washington for work, the IRS, and had seen the Pentagon on fire from that attack.  The government shutdown all business, and sent all travelers home, if they didn't normally work in D.C.  He was not able to take the train home, because Amtrak shutdown the Northeast corridor, so he was riding home with a coworker.  He could not get his cellphone to work, so he called me on a friend's, and asked me to call all three of my kids to let them know he was safe.  They knew he had gone to Washington on business.  So, I stopped teaching and called all three of my kids, one in Michigan, one in Illinois, and one in Pittsburgh.  

The mayor of Philadelphia shut down the city and sent all city workers home, and ordered the schools to dismiss early.  Being the only major city between New York and Washington, he did not want to take any chances of a strike on our city.  Businesses sent workers home, and school let out early.  I went home and watched the TV, and was sick from the reality of what had happened.

I have since read a very interesting book about that day.  It was about a man who was blind, and was working in one of the World Trade Center towers when it wa****  He and his guide dog managed to make their way down the stairs and out onto the street, and get to safety that day.  The book was more about his guide dog, and overcoming being blind in our sighted society, but he goes into vivid detail about that day's events.

I happened to be traveling on the New Jersey turnpike the day after the towers fell, and could see where they had stood.  There was smoke rising from the rubble, visible across the river.  It was very difficult to see that.

Evil is rampant all over the world.  If it's not terrorists killing multitudes of people, it's drug dealers shooting innocent bystanders in the crossfire of a drug war.  Women are raped daily.  Wives, girlfriends and children suffer horrible abused daily.  I live outside Philadelphia, where in one year, we had three police officers killed.

I pray daily for my children and grandchildren, to keep them safe from the evil that is everywhere.  I have two choices.  Trust the Lord for their safety, and care, or worry and lose sleep, and relapse over it.  I choose to trust the Lord.  

Hugs,
Trish

Albert Schweitzer

Hislady
on 9/11/12 4:58 pm - Vancouver, WA
Topic: 3 John 1:11
"Beloved, do not imitate what is evil, but what is good. He who does good is of God, but he who does evil has not seen God." A very appropriate scripture for today. Remembering 11 years ago like it was yesterday. He who has done evil has not seen God aptly describes the assasines who butchered our innocent citizens and those of other countries as well. They knew nothing of God only pure evil of a mad man. I pray the world never forgets this day and that we always remember those who were sacrificed on this day of madness and that no other country will have to endure what we did.

God bless!
Karen
Hislady
on 9/10/12 4:07 pm - Vancouver, WA
Topic: John 14:6
"I am the way, the truth and the life.No one comes to the Father except through Me." Well that's it in a nutshell! If we can convey that to others then they can come to know Jesus like we do. We need to be able to tell others how to find Jesus as their Savior too. There are certain directions folks need to follow but they are easy if they know what they are. This is our job to share the gospel.

God bless!\
Karen
Hislady
on 9/8/12 7:31 pm - Vancouver, WA
Topic: Late but here it is: Job 37:16
"Do you know how the clouds are balanced?" I could go into some blah, blah scientific explanation, but as Christians we know God created them along with all the other amazing things of heaven and earth! I love where I live, the great Pacific northwest where in a matter of a few hours I can drive from skiing in the mountains to surfing the mighty Pacific ocean. I'm surrounded by hills and moutains and am only a few miles from the great Columbia river It is areas like this that really make me stop and admire God's handiwork. There is one corner I come around every trip to town that just takes my breath away no matter what time of year it is. In summer it gently flows and is a favored swimming hole for many, but come winter it turns into a raging rapids that challenge kayakers. Everyday it is a different view even tho it is the same spot, God changes the channel for us! If you want to see and feel God's wonders just look up to the starry skies at night.

God bless!
Karen
Hislady
on 9/8/12 7:17 pm - Vancouver, WA
Topic: RE: Dr. Stanley Devotional for September 8/9
So true, how many brothers and sisters in Christ think they have to suffer or live a miserable life barely existing when we are entitled to all the glory Jesus has. All our needs are covered by His shed blood!
Patricia R.
on 9/8/12 5:01 am, edited 9/8/12 5:01 am - Perry, MI
Topic: Dr. Stanley Devotional for September 8/9
 September 8/9

Our Needs
Philippians 4:19

Jim saved for a long time to take an Alaskan cruise. At last he was on board with two carefully packed suitcases. The first evening, when he heard "Dinner is served" announced over the loudspeaker, he took peanut butter crackers from his suitcase and sat at the table in his small cabin. Every day at mealtime, he repeated the ritual. It wasn't that Jim didn't like the ship's tasty banquets. He simply didn't know that his meals were included in the price of the ticket. For two weeks he enjoyed beautiful scenery off the decks but ate dry, stale food in his cabin.

This sad story is a metaphor for how some believers live the Christian life. God has promised to meet every need of His children—His riches are included in the price Christ paid for their salvation (Eph. 1:18). Yet many folks are trying to live out of their own resources. They don't know that the wealth of God's love, power, and provision is on their menu.

A believer's relationship with the Lord is one of complete unity. Jesus is our life. His Spirit lives through us. Therefore, everything that is available to Him is also available to the brothers and sisters in Christ—all power, strength, and endurance, as well as whatever is required to fulfill physical and emotional needs.

Jim didn't know he had the right to satisfy his hunger in an extravagant way. Learn from this exaggerated example. Read your Bible to learn what riches you are entitled to through faith. God offers believers everything required for living well and wisely. Trust Him for all your needs.

Albert Schweitzer

Most Active