Post -op blahs

Sherri H.
on 7/9/04 2:02 pm - Bakersfield, CA
Hi everyone, I am now about 19 days post-op, and boy, have I got the blahs. I am really fatigued all the time. I know it will probably help to get out and get walking to get my metabolism speeded up, but who has the energy. I am also having some depression because I am tired of being tired and I really miss food. Has anyone else gone through this, and if so, what helped you get through it? Thanks, Sherri
KellyJeanB
on 7/11/04 2:32 am - massapequa park, NY
HI Sherri, Yep. I missed food too. I couldn't wait to get off the purreed and soft food and onto reg food. And being tired is totally normal. I was about 4 weeks out before I had enough energy to go back to work. Having my husband as a sounding bored when I got tired of being tired really helped. Also I kept thinking that it was all going to be worth it as the pounds came off. Keep focused on how great you will feel. Good luck to you. Kelly
2BIG42LONG B.
on 7/14/04 2:10 am - avoca, ny
Sherri, Girl I know you have lost some weight!! so do tell! focus on the new you to come. Okay I'm sorry, Im not post op. Heck I cant relate at all but boy I wish I was 19 days post op. Honey just think you are on your way. The hard part is over isnt it??? Put some creativity into what you eat, I heard jello with fruit is yummy and pudding and watermellon cantelope try to enjoy what you can have. it is a state of mind right?? God will help you just change your focus to what you can eat vs. what you cant. I only want to help. Good Luck, and Im praying for you rigt after I post this God Bless!!!
Sherri H.
on 7/14/04 12:07 pm - Bakersfield, CA
First of all, you can't eat any fruit for quite some time after surgery. You are stuck on a puree diet for 6 weeks. But, thanks for trying. Just wait, when you are post op and you are so fatigued you only want to sleep for 20 hours a day then you will understand. It is hard when you have kids to take care of and you are still having to cook your family's meals but you can't eat any of it. The bad part is with some of us, you eat something once and you don't want it again. It makes for a tough time when you get up and can't think of a single thing that sounds good that you CAN have. I'm sorry if I sound down, but just because you have the surgery doesn't mean everything is instantly wine and roses. It is only the beginning of a difficult and challenging journey. The surgery itself was the easy part. Thank you for your prayers. Sherri down 37 pounds
Sandy C.
on 7/14/04 3:33 pm - Woodbridge, VA
RNY on 07/21/04 with
Sherri, Sorry to hear that you are down. I, too am pre-op, so I can't begin to relate. I just wanted to let you know that I am so proud of you (without even knowing you) for your loss already. I have a family that will still fully rely on me to be their "chef." It must be challenging trying to add a lil' dash of this and a lil' dash of that to food when you can't taste it. Venting is okay. Being angry is okay. I went through the same thing when I had my tubes tied. Not to compare the two procedures, but they are both life-altering surgeries. As with all surgeries, your body screams for rest to heal. If you are like me, you probably pushed yourself to "clear" your schedule so that you could have the surgery. If so, your body may be getting you back for the overtime you made it do prior to the surgery. Do you have anyone who can help you with the meals for a while until you get to the pureed stage? I was blessed with a neighbor who organized a meals on wheels type of setup where the neighbors took turns preparing the meals for my family. [just throwing out suggestions] How about the sugar-free popsicles? Been through all the flavors yet? What about dropping different flavors into your "usual" meals? Is that an option? Feel free to vent at me. I don't know what you are going through right now, but am willing to be a shoulder. I'll be praying really hard for you. Sandy
Most Active