RIGHTOUS ANGER

(deactivated member)
on 5/17/04 2:33 am - I Do Believe .. I Do I Do .., VA
Righteous Anger When you are angry, do not sin. Do not let the sun go down while you are still angry and do not give the devil a foothold. (Ephesians 4:26) I questioned my son when he used the expression "righteous anger." I said I did not think the two words should appear together. I was wrong! A close study proved that not only is the expression "righteous anger" used, but also "holy anger." An example of "righteous anger" is when Jesus became angry enough to turn the tables over in the temple courts because the money changers were taking advantages of those who had come to worship. (John 2:12-17) Righteous anger is NOT a sin. In fact, there are times when it would be wrong NOT to get angry! What then is "righteous anger"? "Righteous anger" is the emotion we should feel when there is injustice, social ills and evil going on in the world. We should be angry when people are oppressed, mistreated and exploited, or when the name of God is dishonored. It should make our blood boil to the point that we do something about it. There is something wrong with us if we see these things and they don't affect us. Righteous anger is controlled anger. It is focused. It is channeled into healing and helping. The purpose of righteous anger is to defend the defenseless and to help the helpless. Righteous anger is ALWAYS to help others, NEVER to help one's self or ego. Jesus became angry not because of Himself but because God's house was used in vain and God's people were taken advantage of. Rather than helping the worshippers, the money changers were trying to make money for themselves and passing it off as a religious act. No wonder Jesus became angry. Several things are worthy of remembering about righteous anger: 1. Righteous anger is not toward the person. It is at the situation and the sin that has been committed. 2. Righteous anger is a controlled anger that occurs infrequently. 3. The act that provokes righteous anger should be taken care of immediately. 4. The anger should be dealt with immediately before it becomes a passageway for the devil to enter your life. 5. You should never go to sleep being angry. If so, you are more angry when you awake. Instead of thinking of ways to get even when people make you angry, respond by seeking ways to change the dynamics of the relationship. It might mean responding with kindness, forgiveness and a prayer of blessing. Let's not get angry WITH people. Let's get angry AT the situation, and then let's seek to do whatever we can to help bring about justice and fairness. Have a Blessed Day , Natalie
donodree
on 5/17/04 5:02 pm - Fort Wainwright, AK
RNY on 09/27/04 with
Thanx for that Natalie, You have helped me to understand what I felt when I heard and witnessed the execution of Berg. I was so angry but not angry with hatred. and I couldn't define my feelings as I felt this. God bless you for your insight. Agape: Andrea
Most Active