This is my first post to ...

Sue P.
on 5/9/04 2:53 pm - Twining, MI
This is my first post to this forum. I am a christian, I am 250 lbs and 48 years old, my BMI is 42. I am having such a time getting past all red tape. 3 weeks ago i talked my PCP into helping me pursue this. He reluctantly agreed. He has not done one thing to get the ball going for me.I have been calling his office a lot for updates but they haven't even got my referral for me to get a surgeons evaluation. I need prayer !! !! I have a lot of friends who I would normally go to for prayer but they too are not supportive of Weight loss surgery So I'll let them figure it out when they see me shrinking. Please pray that this red tape will ease away and that I will be able to be approved and scheduled for surgery before the end of summer, if He allows it. Please ? thank you, Suz
Sherri H.
on 5/10/04 1:40 am - Bakersfield, CA
Hi Sue, Sounds like you and I are about the same size. I just got my approval letter Friday. Can you change your PCP to a doctor who will support your decision? I am lucky that I have a PPO so I didn't need to beg my PCP's permission. I think it stinks that our healthcare decisions are made based on one person's philosophy/likes/dislikes. HMO's stink! You can come right here for prayer and support! I know what it is like to have people not support you. I have had soooooo many people feel they need to "enlighten" me on the benefits of diet and exercise, horrible stories of complications of WLS, etc, that I don't even mention it to people. Everyone knows of a friends-cousins-boyfriends-mom who had it done and has had such horrible complications that they wished they never had it done. Well, I have 5 personal friends who had it done, as well as the multitudes I have met as an RN, and I have met only 1 person who wished she never had it done. But, that 1 person was one of those people who didn't follow the aftercare plan and she messed herself up. It wasn't because the surgery was bad. (She ate a hamburger as soon as she got home and had to go right back in for staple line revision and that was only the start of it. You would think she would have learned her lesson right there.) Anyhoo, don't let the naysayers get you down. No matter what you do in life someone is going to say something bad about it. Just let us support you and love on you and pray for you!! In Jesus love, Sherri
Sherri H.
on 5/10/04 1:41 am - Bakersfield, CA
Oh, and by the way, welcome to the Christianity forum. You will love it here. It is my favorite place to post!! Sherri
Sue P.
on 5/10/04 12:43 pm - Twining, MI
Thank you so much, I believe I'm getting all choked up, good thing this is print. I just came back from dinner at my sister's where her husband made it clear he doesn't approve of WLS. My sister however is more positive. He reminded me of how good I looked after one of my diets and said "couldn't you just do that again ?" I said yes... and again and again and again and again and again for the rest of my life! I come home to find messages from another part of the body of Christ, angels who don't even know me yet have more compassion than those who do. My niece and her mother both had RNY and my brother had his surgery so long ago it must have been stomach stapling, I keep forgetting to ask him. He stretched his stomach out so much he's almost as big as he was before the surgery. That was another point my brother-in-law made at dinner tonight.... Oh how to tell the truth in love when the truth is that my brother is an idiot ! My husband and I live in a lovely rural area having escaped Detroit 14 years ago. There is only one thing that I miss about Detroit, quality medical care. I have been through every BCN doctor for a radius of about 70 miles from my home. If there's a BCN doctor out there that's more open about WLS I can't find him. I have a back up plan for after the first denial (if I ever get there). I'm going to sic the obesity law center on them. It's not exactly what I wanted to do with my tax return, but if they can get me approved it will be money well spent. All my previous dieting was done on my own, I have no records to show for it, I have dieted off and on my whole adult life, but I can't prove it. What did you do about that, any suggestions ? Again thank you so much for your kindness, I can see Jesus in you. Suz
Carol W.
on 5/10/04 3:22 am - Alma, MI
Hi, I beleive in prayer and I will put you on my prayer list and I have a few people from my church that will help out. That is how I got through my surgery and pre-testing. I hope that things start going better for you. You are in my prayers. God Bless You.
Sherri H.
on 5/13/04 7:27 am - Bakersfield, CA
Hi Suz, How sweet you are. I am praying for you, that the Lord will bring more people into your life who can support you and keep their opinions to themselves! LOL I think getting some legal help if you can't get a doctor to write you a letter requesting autho. I am a nurse, and I am horrified how sometimes people's treatment can depend on if the doctor had a fight with his wife that morning! Lean on the Lord and He will give you the answers. He is so good and faithfull. And remember we are all here when you need to blow off some steam or just have prayer. In Christ's love, Sherri
Carol W.
on 5/16/04 5:35 am - Alma, MI
I hope that things are going better for you. I had my surgery two weeks ago and I am feeling great. I've lost 20 lbs. I have you in my prayers daily and I am praying that your husband and your family become more supportive of you. That is very important at a time like this. God bless you. Let me know how things are going for you.
pvtate
on 5/16/04 11:36 am - hartwell, ga
just wanted to let you know that you are in my prayers i know what you are going through, I had a HMO insurance but my pcp was very supportive of me having the surgery. ins. denied me at first but then after an appeal they approved and thanks be to God thats been 9 months ago and I can proudly say that I am a 120lbs lighter so keep faith in God He has a way of changing peoples minds to work in the favor of those who love Him.so be encouraged it will work out and we will keep on praying and believing and I know soon you will come on and say i have been approved. Good luck and God bless.
Most Active