where is everyone?

starry957
on 8/7/12 3:32 pm
I guess the fact that I only notice a few "posters" on this forum that this must mean there are not many Christians out there that go through with WLS....sometimes I wonder myself if I am "supposed" to go through with it or not...the bible says nothing about WLS obviously, but anyone else ever feel like having surgery and changing the way your body is/works on the inside is against God's plan at all?  And I sometimes think about the "self-control" we are to demonstrate as a fruit of the spirit, but that we obviously don't given our relationship with food/resulting obesity....should we be waiting for God to heal us or take matters into our own hands?  Is that what we're doing by having WLS? 

Any thoughts?

Thanks, Kerry

January 8th, 2013 - VSG with Dr Paul Sullivan (St Joe's Toronto)

goddessgrrl
on 8/7/12 3:53 pm - VA
I have a deep, abiding personal relationship with the Holy Trinity. I absolutely believe that God will lead you to what's right for you. Throughout my life I've gone back & forth, sometimes remembering to turn my life over to God, sometimes forgetting, & then remembering again. I guess that's the human condition.

One reason why I never posted on this board is because I see many "Christians" giving Christianity a bad name lately. I never had my foot in a public school (16 years of private religious school), but I feel estranged from my religion right now because of all the outright hatred I've seen so-called "Christians" spew forth in the past decade or so.

I was taught, "They will know we are Christians by our love," NOT "They will know we are Christians by the hatred & racism we spew onto anyone who doesn't look like us."

Or worse: "They will know we are Christians by the trail of dead bodies we leave behind us."

One thing I know with my whole heart: God loves EVERYBODY, including those who have addictions. Mine happens to be to food. I am working the twelve steps through Overeaters Anonymous to augment the miraculous tool I've been blessed enough to have been able to receive (RNY).

Almost every step I take, I realize & am fully aware of the miracle that is a 70+-pound weight loss in the past 5 1/2 months.

To God goes the glory.

Go where the love is. Go where the peace is.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com

Patricia R.
on 8/7/12 10:36 pm - Perry, MI
 Hi there,
I totally agree with you about the public face of Christianity in America.  I often find myself apologizing to acquaintances who find out I am a believer.  But, I am not shy or quiet about my faith in Christ on OH or social media.  I believe God wants me to be salt and light for everyone, unbelievers as well as the hate-filled Christians who lack the love necessary to reflect our Lord's love and forgiveness.

Please don't be a stranger.  We need you as much as you might need us.  

Hugs,
Trish

Seek always to do some good, somewhere. Every man has to seek in his own way to realize his true worth. You must give some time to your fellow man. For remember, you don't live in a world all your own. Your brothers are here too.
Albert Schweitzer

Patricia R.
on 8/7/12 10:31 pm - Perry, MI
 Hi Kerry,
When I first began my WLS journey I prayed a simple prayer.  "God, please open doors you want open, and keep closed those you want closed."  I then turned the whole process over to Him.  I was amazed at the peace I had as I went through the process of getting the clearances, and at how fast each door just flew open.  I had my initial consultation with my surgeon on June 1, 2006.  All of my clearances, and consultations with other doctors, including the psych eval and insurance approval went through by July 15.  My surgery was August 28.  Just three months from start to finish.  

I had been active in Overeaters Anonymous, but have to focus my recovery on Alcoholics Anonymous.  I also have been in psychotherapy for an eating disorder, and other problems for 22 years.  I did outpatient eating disorder treatment twice as well.

I view my surgery as a God given gift, not a cure but a tool.  Self-control is still a must.  Obedience to the diet and exercise plan necessary for success and weight loss is necessary.  Not eating sugar and not overeating is still necessary.  So, the Fruit of the Spirit still comes into play.  

I was the first person in my church to have RNY surgery.  Since then, three other women have had it, at the same bariatric surgery center near here.  Also, another Christian friend, who is a pastor, has had it.

I see the surgery as a God given gift that is available to us today.  I had a lot of health comorbidities that could have led to an early death if left to continue.  I was prediabetic, on the verge of becoming diabetic.  I also was on cholesterol medicine, and my Mom has had two heart attacks, and all four of her brothers died of heart disease.  All of these comorbidities were before I turned 50.  Since my three month post-op appointment and blood work, my cholesterol and blood sugar have been normal.  I'm iron and B12 deficient, but those are easily corrected.

Pray and ask God to open and close the doors as you pursue your weight loss surgery goal.  He'll make His will known to you.

God bless.

Oh, we have a lot of lurkers.

Hugs,
Trish

Seek always to do some good, somewhere. Every man has to seek in his own way to realize his true worth. You must give some time to your fellow man. For remember, you don't live in a world all your own. Your brothers are here too.
Albert Schweitzer

starry957
on 8/7/12 11:13 pm

Thanks so much everyone for your replies!  I come from a large extended family and most of them are Christians.  Most of them seem supportive of this surgery but there are a few that make me doubt my decision - one said "just do the post-op diet without getting the surgery"....which I guess makes sense in a way, but that person has never had a significant weight issue.  I'm moving forward and I've left the process in God's hands.  He knows me and I know I'll get a giant red flag or stop sign if and when He wants me to stop.  At least, that's how I'm viewing it.

Kerry

January 8th, 2013 - VSG with Dr Paul Sullivan (St Joe's Toronto)

Hislady
on 8/8/12 9:17 am - Vancouver, WA
I just posted my belief on this on another forum yesterday as a sister was doubting because of the same sentiments you are facing. I absolutely believe God is the one who put the knowledge and skills in man's hands to help us with our weight because He above all others knows the trouble we have with using will power only. It just doesn't work because most of us have the disease of addiction and just like cancer we use what God has made available to heal us. I do believe
God helps those who help themselves and we can't just sit still and expect God to do all the work, but He will direct us where He wants us to be.

This has been a fairly slow board for several years but if we keep sharing the word I believe God will bring folks here, maybe only one at a time and some will always be lurkers but that's ok as long as they visit.
jcnirfriends
on 8/27/12 9:32 pm - Portland, OR
I just "stumbled upon" your forum and I am delighted to see it. Obesity issues are difficult enough, and it is helpful to have this Christian perspective to help us discern God's will. You're right - God will open the doors.....or close them.
Thank you and Bless you!
Barb
Most Active