Sorting things out

Patricia R.
on 7/1/12 2:53 pm - Perry, MI
Hi Everyone,
This is probably going to be a long one.  I think I figured out what has been bothering me lately.  

I had mentioned some time ago that I had been mentoring a troubled baby Christian who had a bad drug addiction, and also had similar mental health issues to mine.  I can't remember if I had shared that she cut me out of her life rather abruptly several weeks ago, because I had been rebuking her for her behavior in her marriage, and made it clear I did not want to hear her complain about her family, especially because she is the main reason they treat her the way they do.

I had been mentoring her for about a year, when I realized that I had not been thoroughly honest with her, and that in not being honest with her, I was enabling her.  That was why I had started being more blunt in rebuking her.  Of course, instead of discussing her problem with me in a conversation, she blocked both of my phone numbers, cutting me out of her life completely.

I have had a ton of mixed emotions about this whole thing.  So, I typed a letter that I may, or may not send to her.  Doing so allowed me to identify all of my emotions and put them out on the screen for me to see.  I also wrote to my mentor, and shared some of my feelings, because I have mixed emotions about this whole thing.  I feel like a failure as a mentor.  I feel guilty, because I am relieved I don't have her calling me all day, everyday.  I am also angry that Maria shut me out of her life without taling to me first.  I feel used, because I put up with multiple phone calls a day, every single day, except when I was in Michigan.  I feel used, because I willingly drove her to numerous appointments, pharmacies, MRIs and she continued to be noncompliant about her medication regimen for her seizure disorder.  I am angry that I put myself out there completely, and it seems as if it was all for naught.

Well, I am going spend a few days rereading the letter, and then pray about whether or not to send it.

Thanks for being here.

Hugs,
Trish

Seek always to do some good, somewhere. Every man has to seek in his own way to realize his true worth. You must give some time to your fellow man. For remember, you don't live in a world all your own. Your brothers are here too.
Albert Schweitzer

Hislady
on 7/2/12 5:08 am - Vancouver, WA
Sounds like you are handling it well and wisely. It's good to write it all down and pray about it first. Being a mentor is tough, thankless work. You can't help someone that won't accept reponsibility for their actions. Try not to take it personally, you can't save everyone. Hugs!
Most Active