Please Pray For Me

dls0359
on 4/9/12 11:52 am
Hi,

Thank God for this awesome forum! It's been a long time since I've been on the internet and to the OH website. I was thrilled to find Trish's post regarding this forum as I know that it is only with God's help that I make it from one breath to the next. He is such an awesome God in every way!

I'd like to ask that all of you lift me up in your prayers. I had RNY surgery in November, 2006. I've gained about 50 lbs. back since the surgery. I'm concerned about my weight gain, however, I'm more concerned with the fact that I've transferred my food addiction to shopping. I'm the caretaker for my mother and so I'm not able to get out a lot. Most of my spending is done on the shopping networks. The process is so easy that you can get into a major pit of debt before you realize it. I know that it seems like the solution would be simple..."Just turn off the channel" or "Have the shopping channels blocked" but it's not that easy for me. I still shop at the local stores as well. Thankfully, I've not accumulated major debt but I realize that I've got to have professional help before this spirals into a MAJOR issue. I'm scheduled to start therapy on Thursday and would appreciate your prayers that God will guide the therapist to know exactly what to do for me and that He would bring out all that I need to share in order to overcome my addiction at the root. I realize that shopping is just an outbreak of a deeper disorder within me. I'm ready to address that issue and to settle it once and for all.

I look forward to knowing you...Thank you for your prayers!

Donna
Phil 4:13
Patricia R.
on 4/9/12 12:41 pm - Perry, MI
Hi Donna,
Boy, can I relate.  Even before my surgery, I was an addict to so many things.  Alcohol and food were my first problems.  Then came the shopping.  When my ex and I divorced, I had no debt.  That was in 2001.  By 2007, I had racked up $50,000 in credit card debt.  I had to declare bankruptcy.  Not a pretty site.  Sex was another issue, but praise God, I repented of all of those sinful behaviors.

For the shopping, the first thing I was told was to cut up ALL of my credit cards.  I have been without credit cards since 2007, and have managed mostly just fine.

What I have learned in my 22 years of therapy, and AA, is that I have a "hole in my soul" that I have tried to fill with addictions, and it can only be filled with the Lord.  The more I deepen that relationship, the less attractive the addictions are.

In therapy, I learned some of the childhood issues that contributed to my neediness.  But, it wasn't till I learned how to deepen my relationship with the Lord that I was able to get control off the addictions.  I could not have done that without my mentor, Ruth.  I highly recommend you find a more mature Christian woman to guide you in deepening your relationship with God, and to hold you accountable for your addictive behaviors.  I have an AA sponsor for my alcoholism recovery, but I have Ruth for my Spiritual recovery.

It's good to see you posting here.  Keep it up.

Love,
Trish
Seek always to do some good, somewhere. Every man has to seek in his own way to realize his true worth. You must give some time to your fellow man. For remember, you don't live in a world all your own. Your brothers are here too.
Albert Schweitzer

Hislady
on 4/9/12 1:11 pm - Vancouver, WA
Welcome Donna and I'm so glad you have turned to us for help, we have some awesome prayer warriors here! There are many more here that don't post but do read and pray for us. I'm sorry you are having to go thru this but in the end God will use it to His glory and your strength. I smoked for 35+ years and quit 12 years ago but not until I ended up with emphasema. I had tried to quit over and over but this time I was able with God's help to release it to Him. Fighting our addictions is never easy but it is fulfilling when we do succeed. Sounds like you are doing what you need to, to get on top of this so with our prayers and the help of a good therapist you should have the tools you need to win this battle. God bless and keep us posted how you are doing. Know that we will be praying for you! God bless! Karen
mrsfloflo
on 4/10/12 12:08 am - Grand Prairie, TX
I will be praying for you. Therapy is a great thing and will give you tools and a time to analyze and do something about what you are needing counseling for. Just your attitude alone about wanting to address the issue is going to take you a long way towards your success. One day and one step at time. Trusting that God is sufficient for all your needs.

"Enjoying my life and the confidence to experience more!
My support system: God, my husband, my family and wonderful friends!! I am so richly blessed and God is a God of second chances and this is one He has blessed me with and I'm not taking it for granted!!! Yeah

dls0359
on 4/10/12 12:25 pm

Hi,

Thanks so much for the encouraging words of support. The Bible says, "The steps of a righteous man are ordered by the Lord" and I know that He has led me to this group.

I'm lifting you all up in my prayers!
Donna
Lisa S.
on 4/10/12 11:52 pm - NV
VSG on 07/09/12
Donna...thank you for sharing your struggles and allowing us to pray for you. I just wanted to comment on this: "would appreciate your prayers that God will guide the therapist to know exactly what to do for me..."
I am going to pray for YOU!! God is our master physician and healer. With Him, all things are possible. Trust in Him. I have been seeing a counselor for a few months. We carry so much "garbage" around inside us. It weighs us down and breaks us down. The enemy uses whatever he can to destroy our faith. Be strong. We love you.
Psalm 46:10 Be still, and know that I am God
Exodus 14:14 The Lord himself will fight for you. Just stay calm.

dls0359
on 4/11/12 7:54 am
Hi Lisa,

I totally agree that God is Jehovah Rapha, my Healer. The doctors, counselors, medicine. etc. are just the tools that he often uses. Of course, He is totally able to heal without using any of those things. :)

I appreciate your  prayers and encouragement.

Donna :)
Most Active