Spiritual Mentoring

Patricia R.
on 3/4/12 11:20 am - Perry, MI
The book of Titus teaches that older women are supposed to teach the younger women.  I have had the privilege of being mentored by a loving, mature woman who guided me in my walk with Christ, and showed me through example, God unconditional love and acceptance of me.  Her main goal was for me to seek the Truth of God's word for my guidance.

Now, I get to pay it forward.  I have been mentoring a really troubled woman, who has a horrific drug history, and is the only believer in her family.  She comes to a Ladies Bible Study at my church, and has been attending Sunday services with me for the past two weeks.  Her faith is weak, and her knowledge of Scripture is only at the beginning stages.  The only way I can work with her is to use my mentor's model of unconditional love and acceptance.  She is at the stage of making baby steps forward, and huge leaps backward.  Her marriage is crumbling, and her daughters resent all that occurred during her drug and alcohol relapse, which lasted many years.  

My mentor got me through the end of my marriage, my divorce, and a horrific alcoholic relapse.  Every time I would mess up and sin, she would remind me of 1 John 1:9.  When I was ready to give up on my relationship with God, at the height of my divorce, she gave me Jeremiah 29:11.  God has been using her mightily over the past 15 years.

Do any of you have mentors?  Have any of you had the prvilege of mentoring anyone?  This has kept me close to the Lord, and constantly in the Word.

Seek always to do some good, somewhere. Every man has to seek in his own way to realize his true worth. You must give some time to your fellow man. For remember, you don't live in a world all your own. Your brothers are here too.
Albert Schweitzer

mrsfloflo
on 3/5/12 3:09 am - Grand Prairie, TX
I have never had a mentor, but really want one especially a mentor who is married so that I can have someone to talk to when I struggle or have questions. I went to a True Woman conference and Nancy Leigh Moss spoke and she did her study on the Titus woman and that was my first real exposure to biblical teaching about the need of mentors.

I think it's such a shame that more churches do not have mentoring programs, at least not the churches I have been to.

My husband and I are looking for a church home now and I hope we find one where I can establish a mentor/mentee relationship.

I will pray for God to be right in the middle of and guiding your mentoring relationship, giving you the widsom you need and her the endurance to run the race.

I just want to say how very proud I am of you as a sister in Christ that you are mentoring this woman. That is a huge blessing!
"Enjoying my life and the confidence to experience more!
My support system: God, my husband, my family and wonderful friends!! I am so richly blessed and God is a God of second chances and this is one He has blessed me with and I'm not taking it for granted!!! Yeah

Hislady
on 3/7/12 8:01 am - Vancouver, WA
I didn't have any mentor either but did have very involved church women to lean on and learn from. I feel so blessed to have been a mentor to my grand daughter when she came to live with us at age 16. She has grown so much in her walk and it was such an honor to be a part of it. She was talking the other day about one time when she was very young and I'd gotten too much change back at a store. I took her in with me when I took it back in and told them I'd gotten too much. She saiud she never forgot that. So even when you aren't in a class situation your actions can be very telling.
Most Active