Is it probable that I'll reach a normal BMI?

sam_c
on 10/31/09 1:52 pm - DeKalb, IL
RNY on 11/24/09 with
 Hi everyone,

I'm pre-op (I'm getting RNY), and I've been thinking about my goal weight.  With a BMI over 50, I'm wondering if it is probable that I will ever get to a normal BMI.  The smallest I have ever weighed (for a split second many years ago) was still considered obese.  I know that I will be healthier even if I do not reach my ideal body weight; I was just wondering what you guys thought.  How many of you with a BMI 50+ have set your goal weight for or reached a BMI under 25?  

Jeanine J.
on 10/31/09 2:33 pm
I think that it IS very possible for you to have a normal BMI...just need to work hard and stay focused...i am 259 now and my goal is 115...so yes if i think it is possible for me then i deffinately think it is possible for you!!
sam_c
on 11/1/09 1:43 am - DeKalb, IL
RNY on 11/24/09 with
 Thanks for your response.  My "ideal" body weight would be 118, but I think I'd be happy with anything under 150.  Like you said, I need to work hard and stay focused, and hopefully I can attain a normal BMI.  
aprilrose_39
on 11/1/09 1:59 am
I wonder the same thing as well.  Seems impossible that I will ever weigh my goal weight, which is 155.  I'll be happy at 250, that was the goal I set for myself, the Dr said 155.  So anything after 250 is gravy for me.  I know I've read several posts on here of people getting to thier goal weights that had a bmi over 50, so it is possible. and I think its natural to wonder if you'll ever get there.  I'm lighter now than I ever have been my entire adult life.  My lowest weight was my birth weight..lol.
Good luck!

sam_c
on 11/1/09 1:56 am - DeKalb, IL
RNY on 11/24/09 with
I guess my ultimate goal should be to be healthier, and if I reach a normal BMI in the process then that would be gravy (I'm stealing that; hope you don't mind  )  

Congrats on your weight loss so far.  You are doing great!  
RubyEllen
on 11/1/09 2:32 am

The younger you are, the more your joints haven't been damaged by years of carrying weight, the better you can exercise, so a normal BMI is possible. I'm aiming for 200 and will be THRILLED to have it. I will still be obese, but WHO CARES.

The docs want us with a normal BMI because it IS better for our health, but it also makes THEIR statistics better. I think we all need to consider our quality of life, our ability to MOVE and be proud and happy and STOP trying to reach a number that would require too much sacrifice on our parts.

So just evaluate things as you get skinnier. You may find that there is a marathon runner in you and want a normal BMI, but don't beat yourself up over a number. Focus on health: physical and mental and emotional. But our chance to change things up is right after surgery, we can't take that for granted.

Food is for sissies. REAL women exist on skim milk, protein powder, broth and air.....          
sam_c
on 11/1/09 3:01 am - DeKalb, IL
RNY on 11/24/09 with
 Absolutely! I agree that I need to not focus so much on a number.  Good idea to reevaluate my goals as I lose weight.  Thanks for the thoughtful post.
Waterwench
on 11/1/09 5:02 am - portland, OR
My BMI was 52, and is currently 25. One more pound and my BMI will be 24.9! This doesn't take into account the 10 or so pounds of loose skin that I have, but OH WELL! 

I would say that any weight loss is work. The RNY is a tool. Only 15% of RNY patients achieve a BMI below 25, according to my doc. Of course, I took that as a personal challenge!! There is weight regain if you relax and go back to your old ways of eating, too.

I would have to say that with monitoring intake, facing those food demons and working on eating compulsions on a daily basis, as well as exercising and committing to a healthy lifestyle, weight loss inevitably comes. Trouble is, when you're 292 and your stomach is huge and rumbling like crazy, it's a lot harder. After surgery, you can do the work without the rumbling so much--it's the "head hunger" that is the challenge.

FYI, I did my walks but really didn't begin true regular sweaty exercise until 2 years post-op. I had reached 154 (138 lb. weight loss) without exercise. I am now at 137, which shows that just amping the activity can have a huge impact.

"Fall down 7 times--STAND UP 8!"

sam_c
on 11/1/09 10:09 am - DeKalb, IL
RNY on 11/24/09 with
 Yeah, the possibility of regain also worries me, but I hope I can remain vigilant and avoid going back to old habits.  You have done amazing; very inspirational.  I hope I can be as successful.

Moj_ Patti
on 11/1/09 3:34 am - Where the Jackalopes Roam, CA
My adult low weight is about 250. I've been there twice for about 35 minutes.

I have no idea what the stats are, but there are several people here on OH who have started out high and gotten down to a "normal" weight. They've had to work really hard to get there. Jupiter6 is one that comes to mind.

My doc will consider me a success if I get to 208 or so.

I'd like to get to 148 because that's a normal BMI.

We'll see.

Best of luck!!
One food makes you larger, and one food makes you small... 
Most Active