Recent Posts

JRinAZ
on 11/6/09 12:55 am - Layton, UT
Topic: RE: Got a question...
On November 5, 2009 at 11:46 AM Pacific Time, dflprdfan wrote:
I am still working on the 6-month supervised weight loss before I can be approved for WLS and am looking to get RNY Gastric Bypass.

I have seen several posts about revisions and changes in the surgery people choose...I am concerned and am womdering why a revision would be needed, how often they are needed, and why a change in the surgery? I am wondering if it is a case of not being able to adhere to the behaviors the surgeon prescribes after surgery or is it something else? I am not trying to offend anyone here who has had a revision, really just trying to understand so I can avoid another surgery...please help.

Thanks, Lisa
working from crappy puter so pardon oopsies....

Great question Lisa and kudos to you for being pro-active and doing your research ahead of the game!

2 main reasons that insurances will cover a revision to an original WLS:

1.  Mechanical failure or medical necessity (bland erosion, band slippage, stricture, blockage, staple line disruption, etc)

2.  Patient did not reach their desired goal weight or because of metabollic or non compliancy or health or ........has had significant regain and co-morbidities have returned or their BMI is 35 or over.

That's not cut and dried and there are other things to factor in....  (individual cases....one size does not fit all kind of philosophy)

There are definitely procedure types that have proven to have better long term success stats than others.  People with the total info pkg make a choice based on their own situations.  so, if someone has selected a band because they're young and still want children or have medical reasons that they need certain meds that are not recommended for other surgery types then....they may find later that they really need a malabsorptive componant added to really make a difference.

There are really very few revisions.  But....because we are in neeed of support and help and are realize just how valuale compliancy really is......you see a bunch of us gather on these great chat sites.

"Revision" is such a generic term.  It doesn't need to mean a person has undergone a total body overhaul.  It can mean that they simply needed some scar tissue cleaned up or a hernia repaired or their pouch banded or their common channel shortened a  bit.

It shouldn't be something that freaks anyone out but rather a comfort to know that if for some reason a surgery doesn't perform the miracle hoped for that there are options for a 2nd chance!  Of course none of us want to sign up for something with a part 2 clause!  Of course compliancy is important!  But, lets be honest with ourselves and with our demographic!  If we could have all been perfect eaters and exercisers before then we wouldn't havve needed a tool in the 1 st place!

Revisions are blessings to those of us who need our tools repaired, sharpened or traded in!  LOL!

I'm thrilled I've had one!

Good luck with your journey!  Choose well!  Follow your program!  ....and find comfort knowing thatt if things fail (small percentage) then there are potential fixes:)

Huggggzzzz,
Joyce 
Rny 2/11/03-> ERny 12/26/07-> Duodenal Switch 5/12/2010   
     www.dsfacts.com , www.dssurgery.com , & www.duodenalswitch.com

sunshine86
on 11/5/09 11:12 pm
Topic: RE: Milk
I usually buy it at Whole Foods or Sprouts.... but I've also seen it in the organic aisle at Fry's.

It's good stuff.... I'm not sure I'll ever go back to real milk! :)
HW: 243lbs   SW: 222lbs  CW: 198lbs GW: 140lbs
                                              I'm just a hair under 5'1.
                                     12/1/2009- Third Fill, 7cc in a 11cc band
                                     11/3/2009- Finally under 200lbs!!! YAY!!

dbuckeye
on 11/5/09 10:33 pm - Sun City, AZ
Almond milk sounds wonderful.  Where can I find it at?  Thanks
dperez
on 11/5/09 6:49 pm - Phoenix, AZ
Topic: RE: Run fast to Costco!!!
Lettuce Wraps Recipe

1 pound Skinless boneless chicken thighs  (If you want to go vegetarian don't worry about the chicken.)
2 cups sliced mushrooms (Regular or ****aki mushrooms
2 1/2 cups bean sprouts
1 cup canned sliced baby corn ( If needed you can slice on your own)
1 cup watered chest nuts ( Some come sliced already, but I recommend chopping up into smaller pieces)
1/2 cup chopped onion
2 minced garlic cloves
3 table spoons sesame seed oil
1/3  cup low sodium soy sauce (if preferred)
Instead of soy sauce substitute salt or sea salt could be used to taste.
2 heads of lettuce ( depends on how many people your feeding) I fed up to six people as an appetizer.

Cut chicken thighs into small pieces. Small squares or small thin slices.
Chop all veggies
Separate lettuce leaves. (Make sure to try to keep lettuce leaves in tact.)

Heat a Wok or large skilled to medium high spray wok or pan with non stick cooking spray so your chicken will not stick. Cook the chicken thighs for about  30 minutes to 35 minutes. Make sure it's cooked well. (You know e-coli is not very fun.) 

Combine all the veggies, sesame seed oil, soy sauce (salt to taste), cook for another 15 to 20 minutes under medium heat.

Make sure to measure your portion...=P 

Serve on lettuce and enjoy!
Michele T.
on 11/5/09 12:22 pm - Scottsdale, AZ
I can eat cold cereal about a cup, but it isn 't the most pouch friendly.  Try Quaker Weight Control Oatmeal instead.  It has more protein and you don't need to add the milk.

Michele
sunshine86
on 11/5/09 11:51 am
Topic: RE: Mehdi K. Mazaheri, M.D.
I've gotta say..... I'm very very slowly starting to warm up to the idea of plastic surgery now that I've noticed my boobs are starting to deflate....

I've been to two talks by Dr. Mazaheri.... neither were planned... he just happened to be presenting at the support groups I showed up at......

And I'm honestly very impressed by what I've seen so far. His work is absolutely incredible (gives me hope, lol!)...... and he seems cool as hell. Very down to earth with a great sense of humor. At least that's the impression I get.

If and when I decide I'm ready for plastic surgery.... Dr. Mazaheri will definitely be at the top of my list of surgeons to research!!

Plus, he comes highly recommended by a lot of awesome folks I've met at various groups around the valley :)

sunshine86
on 11/5/09 11:47 am
Topic: RE: NO NO NO... I won't give up :) UPDATE
This doesn't sound like a CIGNA issue..... it sounds like its a provider issue.

I would ask to speak to an office manager to see if they might be willing to make an exception. Either that or you can pay upfront and turn in a claim form (as long as whatever you're having done is a covered benefit under your CIGNA plan).

Otherwise, find a surgeon who will accept your insurance.

Good luck, I know what a pain it can be!!

sunshine86
on 11/5/09 11:43 am
I had a different surgery.... but I've been experiencing some liver/gallbladder discomfort, so I've been avoiding greasy/fatty/fried foods like the plague.

I've found that Almond Milk is an AWESOME substitute. In fact, I actually prefer it to regular milk! It's much healthier.

I eat my cereal (raisin bran, fiber one, etc) with unsweetened chocolate almond milk. DELICIOUS!! :)

NewHealthyStyle
on 11/5/09 9:18 am
Topic: The World According To EggFace!!
Hey guys, like I said before from a fellow member who showed me. I was looking for good food to make that's easy on the stomach and I found this website. THeworldaccordingtoeggface.comm
It's about a lady who had post bariatric surgery and her afterlife details and her new style of cooking. On her website I also found the OH link that she recommends. She has many recipes, which I choose dessert!;p
ginau
on 11/5/09 6:05 am - mesa, AZ
Mike

Soy milk does ok, as well as whole milk  -  But Skim  and 2% make me gassy and give me runs - GO figure !!!

But then again I am an ERNY.   I guess I would suggest trial and error on week-ends at home??

GinaU aka Jeanna 
 RNY revised  to Extended RNY 5/2008
Total loss 181 and counting 

-

Most Active