Recent Posts

Paperboy
on 11/9/09 1:46 pm
Topic: RE: Can't decide... Lap band or Bypass?? HELP!
Both lap band and RNY will help you lose weight if you use the tools correctly. 

I had Lap Band and have been very succesful with it but I know quite a few people who have not been.  It all comes down to what you want out of the surgery.  In my opion if your problem is self control then you may be better of going the RNY route instead of the lap band.  RNY has more physical consequences ie "dumping" that may help you correct those bad behaviors.  Lap band does not have the dumping and there are more slider foods that you can eat and get away with such as Ice Cream.  If the volume of food you eat is your only problem and not sugary foods and carbs maybe Lap Band is the way to go.

Knowing what I know now about WLS I think if I had to do it all over again I would actually choose the DS.  Have you looked into that surgery at all?

As far as the extra skin is concerned I don't think it really matters which surgery you had the extra skin will be there when you lose the weight.  Of course that varies by person and elasticity of skin but when you stretch out your skin as much as most of us have there is no getting around the fact that when you get rid of the fat your skin will sag.

Bottom line is that choice of surgery is a very personal decision.  Ask a hundred people and you will get a hundred different opinions.  Just try to choose the one that is best for you and your lifestyle.

Good luck.

Todd
calicrow
on 11/9/09 12:25 pm - Las Vegas, NV
Topic: Can't decide... Lap band or Bypass?? HELP!
So I've been on this 3 month diet program my insurance requires and I have my last appointment tomorrow before I can schedule surgery. I went into this whole thing gung ho on getting a lap band but have been persuaded towards the bypass by my surgeons/dieticians/ and basically everyone out of Scottsdale bariatric. I'm still on the fence though. I am scarred about the extra skin thing and hear it is worse with the bypass. I want to lean towrds the band because I feel my problem is really a "lack of self-control" problem and feel it is just the right tool for me. But I do weigh 475 which is why I am being recomended the bypass over the band. I can't decide. Anyone that want's to share their experience on this matter would be greatly appreciated. PLease and thank you all in advance.
missmolliemayhem
on 11/9/09 12:25 pm - Glendale, AZ
Topic: in need of some assistance.
so i met with a doctor today to discuss getting banded. i have two insurance companies... one of which is great and i definitely qualify!  (BCBS of AZ [PPO] and United [PPO]) but my issue is, i want a doctor that isn't so much concerned on what i'm paying out of pocket... and would rather see it happen.

any suggestions? i just didn't feel like he was interested in my best interest, moreso how soon i could come up with the money.
JRinAZ
on 11/9/09 12:11 pm - Layton, UT
Topic: You NEED this!
Are you kidding?  NOONE can face the Holidays without some serious fortification!

Do NOT miss support groups this month!!!!

Weds (2nd Weds)...Banner Gateways Exercise Physiologist at 6 pm  ALL are welcome!

Saturday  (2nd Sat)...General Support Meeting at Tempe St. Lukes, 1 pm  ALL are welcome! (details for upcoming major event announced at the Sat meeting!)

Joyce 
Rny 2/11/03-> ERny 12/26/07-> Duodenal Switch 5/12/2010   
     www.dsfacts.com , www.dssurgery.com , & www.duodenalswitch.com

marcie K.
on 11/9/09 11:02 am - Sahuarita, AZ
Topic: RE: new to az

I mainly go to lap band groups but for rny there is tuswls they have a yahoo group you should sign up for.  They meet 2-3 times a month and I sometimes do the activities they have.  also carondelets meets I believe the first tues of the month and last sat and that is mostly bandsters but is open to every surgery. 

marcie K.
on 11/9/09 10:59 am - Sahuarita, AZ
Topic: RE: my thoughts on Lap Band only Dr.s
I went to a Lap band only surgeon.  I made the decision on what I wanted and would not be swayed.  He used to do rny as well but I heard he had a patient die and it tore him up and he didn't feel like it was a safe surgery to do.  His surgical skills are top notch so I think he just decided to go with what he believes in. 

I don't know if they get a kick back I think they do what they feel works best.
JRinAZ
on 11/9/09 10:45 am - Layton, UT
Topic: RE: dumping
On November 9, 2009 at 9:38 AM Pacific Time, mikiec wrote:
Can someone absolutely, positively describe dumping? 

Mike
Hey Mike!
You can google "dumping following weight loss surgery" and get some info.

As has been said, it varies for individuals but .......

1.  heart palpitations
2.  cold and clammy
3.  hot flashes/ dizzy
4.  feel "spaced" or disoriented
5.  can feel nausea
6.  can feel chest pain
7.  one can get the foamies:  ho****er rush in mouth and need to empty tummy contents.
8.  delayed dumps can be upset tummy and explosive diarrhea, gassy
9.  delayed can be vomitting
10.  sleepy, can't focus

Most common is the dizzy, clammy and quickened pulse.

Sometimes you feel like you want to die......lying down and sleeping it off works well!  Flushing your system with water and walking works well.

Avoiding the culprit that triggers the "dump-o-meter" works the best!

Joyce 
Rny 2/11/03-> ERny 12/26/07-> Duodenal Switch 5/12/2010   
     www.dsfacts.com , www.dssurgery.com , & www.duodenalswitch.com

1lessJulie
on 11/9/09 8:58 am
Topic: RE: dumping
Mike

From what I understand dumping varies depending on the person and what you eat.  For me, well it would be best described as eating a bowl of hot chili w/three to for times more beans and NO beano in sight.  The gas pains were horrible and had to do a lot of walking to the feeling to settle down.  It didn't last long, but it did feel like an eternity.

I hope that helped you some.

Julie
dbuckeye
on 11/9/09 5:30 am - Sun City, AZ
Topic: RE: R U thankful 2?
I will be spending Thanksgiving at my sisters house.  With us and our friends being from out of state.  We all bring a dish and have a get-to-gather.  We will eat and play games.  There will be 2 dogs that will demand walks so we get are exercises as well.  I will bring the deviled eggs.

I weigh 89 lbs. less than last year. 
Down several sizes in clothes.
Even though I don't have any babies to hold, I still notice how my lap has expanded.  Wonderful!
valarie30
on 11/9/09 2:51 am - phoenix, AZ
Topic: RE: R U thankful 2?
 i cant wait to have a lap again :)

Most Active