Recent Posts

ginau
on 11/12/09 9:05 am - mesa, AZ
Topic: RE: My first Post-OP labs * nightmare!!!!!!
Nancy

Kelly is at the Lab on Warner  between  Alma School & Az Ave  - Chandler  by todays woman  care center.  You can go online and  make your appt..  Also Jen should be able to put in a standing lab order for you.  Just ask her

I am not sure I will be at this  Sats meeting. We are  making final arrangements  for my Mom's  funeral  out in Apache Junction.  But I will be at next Thursdays HM meeting. I would love to see what ya  have ... 

P.S.  hope they didnt scare poop out of ya when they called, They did the same thing to me the first 2 times - thats when I asked to have the same person do it .

GinaU aka Jeanna 
 RNY revised  to Extended RNY 5/2008
Total loss 181 and counting 

-

Nancy S.
on 11/12/09 8:21 am - Mesa, AZ
Jeanna,
Which Sonora is Kelly at? The one I went to was across the street from banner Baywood, and now I know  they take appts and it would be worth it to drive to someone who knew what they were doing the first time. I got a call from them about 2:30 this afternoon... the tech missed a vial and now I have to go back in the morning, fasting again to have four more drawn because he missed one and they have to be drawn at the same time argggggh!
Also are you going to the sat support group this week? I have about 4 tubs of protein powder to give you, that I don't care for and al lot of samples as well. A big freebie if you want them! xo nancy

ginau
on 11/12/09 7:29 am - mesa, AZ
Hi Nancy

I know the drill well, I have 1 girl at a local Sonoraquest ( Kelly)  and she is the only one I allow to draw - she made a cheat sheet and  has it down pat .  I start drinking lots of water the night before and  she  gets the 11 vials in 2 pokes.

hang in there.

GinaU aka Jeanna 
 RNY revised  to Extended RNY 5/2008
Total loss 181 and counting 

-

sunshine86
on 11/12/09 4:53 am
Topic: RE: my thoughts on Lap Band only Dr.s
I talked to a few surgeons at a practice which only did banding, and these guys for some reason rubbed me the wrong way. I'm sure their surgical skills were completely fine... and they had very  low complication rates, etc. However, I got the impression that their primary focus was making money. It was the very first thing that they asked about during my consultation. I'm sure it was just me... but it really turned me off of this particular practice. I was also skeptical about them ONLY wanting to do banding. Even though I had already decided I wanted the band because it was the best fit for me.... it bothered me when they belittled other surgical options. I do not believe that banding is a one-size-fits-all procedure... I feel that surgery type should depend on what is best for the patient.

I'm sure there are many fabulous banding-only outfits. I just personally did not find one that I felt was a good fit.

Whatever you do, and whatever surgery you decide on, make sure that you've thoroughly researched all of your options.

Good luck!!
HW: 243lbs   SW: 222lbs  CW: 198lbs GW: 140lbs
                                              I'm just a hair under 5'1.
                                     12/1/2009- Third Fill, 7cc in a 11cc band
                                     11/3/2009- Finally under 200lbs!!! YAY!!

sunshine86
on 11/12/09 4:41 am
Topic: RE: in need of some assistance.
I would encourage you to look around and consider other surgeons... there are a lot of fantastic ones in the area.

I met with and "interviewed" 4 or 5 surgeons and programs before choosing mine, and I could not be any more pleased with my decision. Dr. Schuster is a fantastic surgeon, and his staff is absolutely wonderful.

My best advice, if you get a bad gut feeling or don't feel like you "click" with the surgeon or program, explore your options. This is a very large step that will undoubtedly affect you for the rest of your life. Make sure that you are confident in, and comfortable with, the folks who are helping you through the process.

Good luck, I hope everything works out! :)
HW: 243lbs   SW: 222lbs  CW: 198lbs GW: 140lbs
                                              I'm just a hair under 5'1.
                                     12/1/2009- Third Fill, 7cc in a 11cc band
                                     11/3/2009- Finally under 200lbs!!! YAY!!

denise777
on 11/12/09 3:48 am - Tucson, AZ
Topic: RE: new to az
hi joyce, and thanks for the post, and the welcome to AZ. i did read back and also found the info in the Tuswl yahoo group. i plan to attend the meeting coming up this monday at northwest medical.
we currently live in the sw area of tucson up on starpass but will be moving to sahaurita in february. we are in an apt that my husbands previous contracting company put us in and our lease is up in feb. so we're looking for a house in a less populated area and have decided sahaurita would fit the bill. it's beautiful down there! my husband works at the VA hospital and so it would be a good drive for him to work. i am a nurse also but i'm currently not working (and not looking either).
i had my RNY in anchorage alaska oct 08 (was living in fairbanks tho) and started out at 242 pounds, am now down to 152 (at 5' 6) with about 7 pounds or so to goal.
will mark the date in feb in my calendar and see what shapes up around that time. it sounds like a good time with lots of good info. and it's always nice to meet people you talk with online that share your journey.
take care and again, thanks for the post and info!
denise

denise777
on 11/12/09 3:32 am - Tucson, AZ
ok, so more miles on the jeep, living in alaska we did LOTS of traveling for less relevant things
one of the draws for sahaurita (i've got to learn to spell that right) is the quietness and the beauty of the lake and the trails and the bicycle friendly community. i would love to meet you and your friend for some walking at the lake.
i realized that i HAD joined that yahoo group when i first moved here but was really too busy to settle down and get involved with it. when i went into it last night to join, i was already there, silly me. so i got the listings of the groups and plan to attend the one on monday at NWMC.
again, thanks for the info and hope to meet you and your friend at a meeting or at the lake.
denise

Nancy S.
on 11/12/09 3:00 am - Mesa, AZ
Topic: My first Post-OP labs * nightmare!!!!!!
Three hours at Sonora labs this morning...Had to be fasting and just in the middle,  their computers went down and they went  "manual", The lab tech had NEVER done the paperwork for the labs that Dr. S. had ordered before, some vials had to be frozen, ect.
I had to be poked FOUR times to get enough blood for all the tubes!
Glad that's over, lead time on those labs is almost a month! before appt..
Now I wait for results and pray they are good!
xo Nancy

JRinAZ
on 11/11/09 11:58 pm - Layton, UT
On November 11, 2009 at 7:54 PM Pacific Time, denise777 wrote:
wow, thanks for answering me....54 views and only 1 reply, oh well. i'll check out the yahoo group and see what they have going. btw...my husband and i plan to move to sauharita in february....any groups or activities going on down there?
again, thanks for answering my post,
denise
Hiya Denise and may I give you a tardy big WELCOME to AZ!!! 

I didn't respond to your earlier post because I assumed the Tucson buds would give you the info.  My bad!

I'm the spouse of a retired military (Good Bless our Troops!) and know you are in a great area for coverage.  I don't have a clue about pcp's down there but if you want to travel our direction (north to Phoenix) then I can hook you up with the best!

Tucson is always invited to ou big WLS events and many of my bestest buds live in your neck of the woods!  They travel in carpools on occasion to hit big support groups and activities.

In fact.....SAVE THE DATE:  FEB 13th 2010  ....."Lovin Life on the Lighter Side" will be at the Phoenix Marriott Mesa with an entire day of information, inspiration and fun!  There will be an exhibitors hall with samples and demos galore!  All for WLS Peeps!

As for support group info.  Go to the Message board of the AZ forum and read back a few pages until you find the "support group info details" or something like that.....I posted ALL the updated info for the entire state.

Cyber hugggzz your way!  We are a great group of support buds but we are out livin life and don't always get to the boards often. 

Tell us more about yourself, K? 

Joyce 
Rny 2/11/03-> ERny 12/26/07-> Duodenal Switch 5/12/2010   
     www.dsfacts.com , www.dssurgery.com , & www.duodenalswitch.com

JRinAZ
on 11/11/09 11:49 pm - Layton, UT
Topic: RE: Can't decide... Lap band or Bypass?? HELP!
I totally agree!

I think the high BMI peeps are best served with a Dudenal Switch (DS).  Dr. Schlesinger is the only doc in AZ who does them.

Good luck!

Joyce 
Rny 2/11/03-> ERny 12/26/07-> Duodenal Switch 5/12/2010   
     www.dsfacts.com , www.dssurgery.com , & www.duodenalswitch.com

Most Active