Recent Posts

JRinAZ
on 11/13/09 9:09 am - Layton, UT
Topic: RE: TEMPE SUPPORT GROUP
On November 2, 2009 at 8:40 AM Pacific Time, DarcieLeighAZ wrote:
 So I am putting together our Support Group Program ---Ive put together other programs under other doctor's names and in other states LOLOL - but for this since we are a Surgery Center and not a specific doctor's office I get to ask for some ideas and suggestions....

What do you like? Dislike? about groups you go to... What would you like to do? See?  Talk about?  
I'd like to offer a daytime meeting like at 9:00 am - what would interest in that be?
We are a LAP-BAND Center so the focus would be on LAP-BAND issues and lifestyle but really? for long terms success I eat the way band patients eat to keep the weight off and being a 9 yr post RNY patient I can offer a lot of support there too.... 

Id love to hear from you!!! 
Hey Darcie!
Let us know when you peg down a day and time.  I'll be there and will bring my peeps with me!  LOL!  I"m not a lapbander, but like you......I realize that learning to make good choices into an ongoing lifestyle will keep me at goal and healthy!   As Dr. Simpson reminds us, we can all be in the same place in 5 years, regardless of our choice of surgeries.  I'd rather be looking like you any day (My Clairol bottle says "blonde" on it though!  LOL!) ...than the gal I used to be.

Hugggzzzz!  See you soon!

Joyce 
Rny 2/11/03-> ERny 12/26/07-> Duodenal Switch 5/12/2010   
     www.dsfacts.com , www.dssurgery.com , & www.duodenalswitch.com

terrysimpson
on 11/13/09 7:11 am - Scottsdale, CA
Topic: RE: TEMPE SUPPORT GROUP
The fundamentals of weight loss are the same with all operations. Darcie knows these fundamentals as well as anyone-- she is a great cook- has written a cookbook- and I have had the pleasure of her cooking.
She knows how to lose weight, she knows how to keep that weight off - and she can teach other people how to do that.

I have done all weight loss operations- have published about all weight loss operations, and look at the data on an ongoing basis.  It is a mistake to say one operation has more issues than another- they are all operations. If you do not abuse a lap-band-  there is minimal chance of having issues with it. But that is not the important point. Bottom line with all weight loss operations-- at five years out- those who make lifestyle changes will keep their weight off-- those who don't- won't (all data, all operations).

What Darcie is offering is a support group on the east side, with the benefit of her experience. There is no financial benefit of this for the outpatient surgery center - this is a good chance to learn about how a successful person did it. She has taught countless patients - and those who wish to benefit from this- I recommend they attend.

I am going to recommend my east side patients go to this support group.

(deactivated member)
on 11/13/09 6:56 am, edited 11/18/09 9:24 am - AZ
Topic: RE: Can't decide... Lap band or Bypass?? HELP!
On November 12, 2009 at 7:49 AM Pacific Time, JRinAZ wrote: I totally agree!

I think the high BMI peeps are best served with a Dudenal Switch (DS).  Dr. Schlesinger is the only doc in AZ who does them.

Good luck!

But there are doctors outside of AZ that actually do it well and you know it.

(deactivated member)
on 11/13/09 5:52 am - AZ
Topic: RE: my thoughts on Lap Band only Dr.s
On November 9, 2009 at 10:50 AM Pacific Time, valarie30 wrote:
 I went to a dr. who only did Lap band surgery,  I was not very impressed and I wondered why would that be, that a doctor would only do Lap Band Surgery,    or used to do the RNY but does not do it any more.....   after digging a little deeper it made me realize that either the Dr. does not feel comfortable doing the RNY  or got in some kinda trouble from the medical board.. but i think if someone is looking into weight loss surgery they should go to someone who specializes in all of them, that way they can help you decide on your best option and what is best for you...  if they only do lap band then I would wonder why?   this is just me... and my thoughts... i am sure there are good dr. who only do lap band... but i would pick a dr. who does all surgery and felt comfortable doing all...  

also is there some type of commission or do they get some type of kick back using a specific type of band?  

I completely agree with your thinking.

These band mills... they are a horror.  The band has a ton of long term risks and complications.  The sleeve does not.  Actually, doctors that claim they only do banding because it's the safest, that's a load.  The actual surgery is the safest, but long term the sleeve is safer hands down.

Then there are some that need malabsorption.  They just need a bit more help than restriction alone can do. 

It's all a personal decision.  But... going to a band mill and expecting him to help you with what YOU might need as an individual instead of part of the herd being run through the band mill... they aren't going to do that.  It would be like going to a Toyota dealer and assuming they will tell you that a Honda is a better bet for you.  They aren't going to do that.  They are going to sell you the only procedure they do, easy banding.

Terry Simpson's website is a FANTASTIC example.  He has these graphs that show the horrors of anything but banding.  BUT... he doesn't even mention sleeves, the fastest growing surgery and safest surgery long term today.  Why?  Because he doesn't do it.  He also doesn't mention all the many things that can and do go wrong with banding.  It is nothing short of deceptive.  He does not mention esophageal dilation, pouch dilation, stoma spasms, slips, erosions, stomach necrosis from a severe slip, port infections, band intolerance.  Why is he only listing complications of bypass and DS but fails to mention the risks associated with banding?  These are not rare complications, they are verrrry common!  But he's pushing the band so he's deceptive about it.

Oh, check out his weight loss stats.  All procedures have a 60% EWL.  Total crap once again. Here is something a little closer to truth than Simpson (aka band mill) website:

Medical News: ASMBS: Gastric Banding Less Effective than Other Procedures - in Meeting Coverage, ASMBS from MedPage Today

Then... his death stats.  1 in 10,000 for a band and 1 in 200 for bypass/DS.  What a load!  He's comparing low risk bands to higher risk patients getting bypass/DS.  He isn't even comparing the same surgical risk groups.  Walking away from his deceitful website will have a person thinking the only way they will survive WLS is if they get a band.

Look at Darcie Leigh.  Another form of deception.  Check out her web page.  She's not telling anyone that her weight loss was due to RNY while pushing banding.  She's showing a successful photo of an RNY person while inferring she is banded on the website.  And now, at goal and doing well she suddenly prefers banding.  Of course, that's all the doctors DO at her silly surgical center.

The Simpson website is a fantastic example of why you should do exactly as you think and feel.  Go to someone who does all the surgery types so that you can see which is best for you.  There is no surgery type that is right for everyone.  WLS is not a one size fits all.  If the surgeon isn't capable of giving you a safer more complex surgery then you should find someone who can and will.  Band mills are easy money, bottom line.

JRinAZ
on 11/13/09 2:25 am - Layton, UT
Topic: RE: Planning BIG WLS event! Need volunteers
On November 13, 2009 at 10:17 AM Pacific Time, Terri G. wrote:
I would love to help
Terri
Woooo Hoooo!  I've been getting a great response already.

So that I can contact you off this site, would you email me?  That way we can "talk shop" without bothering the wold!  LOL!

either at my work email:  [email protected]  OR home [email protected]

Thanks bunches!

The more ideas we have, the bigger and better we can make this event and the more educational, inspirational and FUN for all of us! 

Joyce 

Terri G.
on 11/13/09 2:17 am - ME
Topic: RE: Planning BIG WLS event! Need volunteers
I would love to help
Terri

Nancy S.
on 11/12/09 9:03 pm - Mesa, AZ
Topic: RE: My first Post-OP labs * nightmare!!!!!!
Jeanna, so sorry to hear about the loss of your Mom, boy, both you and Joyce have have such sorrow this past couple of months. I will bring all my "protein stuff" to the HM group for you!
take care and my prayers are with you and your family at this difficult time. xo nancy

JRinAZ
on 11/12/09 12:59 pm - Layton, UT
Topic: Planning BIG WLS event! Need volunteers
Want to be involved in the WLS community?

Want to help organize an incredible AZ event?

Want to get to know other WLS peeps better?

Have a business (small, large, etc....May Kaye, Avon, Hair stylist, nutrition store, etc) and want to have a spot in the Exhibitor's Hall?

Willing to share your success story with others?

The Big event day is FEB 13th, 2010

"Lvin Life on the lighter side...."

Joyce 

Terri G.
on 11/12/09 10:35 am - ME
Topic: RE: SHARE YOUR WOW MOMENT
Thank You that is how I feel
Yea.
Terri

azfrancine
on 11/12/09 10:29 am - camp verde, AZ
Topic: looking for people who have had weight loss surgery with phoenix health plan or bridgeway
I  got a notice in the mail that my time has come to change plans if i wish to, ive been struggling to get a surgeon for about 4 years now, originaly on mercy care and apipa doors got closed on me many times with surgeons dropping insurances, now i am on bridgeway and last i heard bridgeway has no one in their network.. i was told to call diferent surgeons to ask if they will accept bridgeway. i have my choice now to go to phoenix health plan or stay with bridgeway. i really need some advice im at 480lbs now i need  help with finding a dr and or wich insurance would best serve my needs i live about 100 miles from phoenix but any travel would be worth it in the end please advise thank you and if you have these insurances and have had wls any input would be awesome ty i have 20 days to change my insurance so time is essentual
Most Active