Recent Posts

Member Services
on 12/17/12 2:53 am - Irvine, CA
Topic: Super Storm Sandy and OH Members

Even though ObesityHelp members are around the world, at times like these with Superstorm Sandy, we are united and here for each other.

For our ObesityHelp members, families and friends that are in the disaster areas, our thoughts are with you.  We’ve listed some helpful links below to provide information so we can support you. 

If you live in an area not impacted by Sandy but still want to help, there’s information for you too.  Make sure you are prepared for a natural disaster by checking out the information in the links below. 

If you’d like the latest info from the Federal Emergency Management Association on Superstorm Sandy, clickHERE.

FOR DISASTER ASSISTANCE

If you need to find an emergency shelter near you, text:
SHELTER and YOUR ZIP CODE  to 43362

If you want to apply for assistance from your computer, click HERE.

If you want to apply for assistance from your mobile device, click HERE.

If you want to apply for assistance, call (800) 621-3362

DISASTER SURVIVOR RESOURCES:

General information from FEMA, click HERE.

Here’s how you and your loved ones can prepare for natural disasters, click HERE.

During times of disasters, the American Red Cross is always among the first at the scene.  The American Red Cross exists to provide compassionate care to those in need.

TO HELP THE AMERICAN RED CROSS:

Click HERE to donate funds for survivors of Superstorm Sandy.

Donations help the Red Cross provide shelter, food, emotional support and other assistance to those affected by disasters throughout the country including Superstorm Sandy. To donate, people can visit www.redcross.org, call 1-800-RED-CROSS, or text the word REDCROSS to 90999 to make a $10 donation.

You can contact the “Join The Movement” of the American Red Cross to donate funds, donate blood, and read about other ways to help by clicking HERE.

With our support,
ObesityHelp Management and Staff

iapples
on 12/7/12 10:43 am - AZ
RNY on 02/28/12
Topic: RE: Moving to AZ, used Dr.Blackstone ?
There are 2 session nights per month. The first Monday and third Wednesday. At each night there are 3 sessions one of which is preop to 4 months out. They also have several seminars per month to discuss the different surgeries.

sarah_durso
on 12/7/12 9:54 am, edited 12/8/12 8:13 am

Thanks for sharing with me. I've been seeing a doctor here in NC for the past year getting ready for surgery. I called up the nurse at Blackstones office and she said everything will transfer over.  I've already done the supervised diet. But not sure what her requirements will be. My past doctor wouldn't do surgery on anyone over 400 lbs . I'm at about 415 . So I still need to lose. It's good to know she's a very good surgeon with a  competent staff .  I don't need to see the actual surgeons that much unless I have complications after.  I'm excited to hear her there are group sessions 2x a month.  Do people start going to it before they actually have surgery too? 

Congrats on being so successfully !

iapples
on 12/7/12 2:39 am - AZ
RNY on 02/28/12

I used Dr Blackstone for RNY.  I am 9 months out.  My insurance required a 6 month supervised diet and then screwed me around for a while.  I started in May 2011 and lost 83 lbs. leading up to the surgery on 2/2812.  I am down an additional 100 lbs. since then.  I was diabetic, hypertensive, had gout and high cholesterol.  Since the day of surgery I am totally off all meds. 

As far as the practice goes it is very structured.  There are three surgeons there now.  There are nutrition, psych, and exercise personnel on staff.  If you are looking for a professional, competent staff that provides all of the tools you need for success I highly recommend.  You will not get a lot of time with your surgeon.  I met Dr. Blackstone in March of 2011, saw her in pre-op in Feb. 2012 and haven't seen her since.  The staff is very capable.  If you're the type that needs a lot of time with your doctor I suggest looking elsewhere.  If you want a quality team at a quality facility that offers pre and post-op support they are the way to go.

I have had no issues at all with the surgery.  Two nights in the hospital, went home not requiring pain medicine, drove the following day, and returned to my desk job a total of 7 days after release.  I follow the rules, I attend the twice-monthly support groups, and I am active on the SHC support website. 

foreverjesus2525
on 12/4/12 5:46 am, edited 12/4/12 5:48 am
Topic: RE: Where is Dr. Steven Simon?
Had Gastric Bypass w/ ring in 2005'. Spent 7 1/2 months in Good Samaritan Hospital in Phoenix with a Staph Infection and lots of other things that happened! things!! After 1.4 million my insurance Blue Cross Blue Shield dropped ME!! I had Dr. Steven Simone and Dr. Newhoff Both do the surgery!
Jessi * There and
Never Back Again *

on 11/27/12 8:51 pm - Chandler, AZ
VSG on 04/25/12
Topic: RE: Anyone interested in WLS AZ Meet Up!?!

My surgeon was Dr. Schuster.  The hospital and staff are wonderful.  I had surgery a few years ago at Chandler Regional and Gateway blows it out of the water.  So much nicer and more comfortable.

I haven't been to any meetings yet, simply because we only have 1 vehicle and it just hasn't worked out.

5'2   HW-324 • SW-277 • GW-165Surgery Date 4/25/12

Jessi * There and
Never Back Again *

on 11/27/12 8:49 pm - Chandler, AZ
VSG on 04/25/12

Yeah I did a lot of that before surgery.  It was all part of my prep to feel comfortable.  I really enjoyed watching them, especially hearing about the immediate recovery.  Have you checked out the VSG forum here?  It's pretty active. =)

Jodysdreams
on 11/24/12 9:41 am
O e thing I'm realizing is that there doesn't sem to be allot of recent activity on this obesity.com. I'm trying to figure out how to make my page, upload my pic etc..but it doesn't want to take..hmmm?
But I am reading tons of old posts..which help..but I look at the dates and they go back almost 10 years!! I wonder if there is another online gastric sleeve support site out there..this one doesn't seem to be where people are going..but one thing I have spent hours doing is watching all the people on YouTube that have their stories and pictures of the progress they are making and it's incredible to see them change..and it's great to gather advice that they giv ebcuz they've been there done that..have you checked YouTube out?
Jodysdreams
on 11/24/12 9:36 am
Hi.
I just so happen to be looking at my emails and saw your reply..I am getting my surgery at Banner too. Dr Podkemini is my surgeon. Who was yours? I was also wondering if you go to any of the support groups?

Jody

Jessi * There and
Never Back Again *

on 11/24/12 9:32 am - Chandler, AZ
VSG on 04/25/12

I'm at Gilbert and Guadalupe.  Banner has their meetings out here too but I think a casual meeting would be nice.

Most Active